Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #11,941 of 14,511
Yet here you/we are... :)
I only read the DV forum 😆. I do not own, lease, have any contingent liabilities related to a DV….whew!

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #11,942 of 14,511
come on, the 336se is not that bad.
though I do wish they do things a little differently, so I don't do unnecessary component replacements.
(not that the amp in stock configuration doesn't work, just that I can't live with some of the issues)

** the volume control is a linear pot ==> the usable adjustment range is only about 30 degrees
** capacitor clamps down too far, deforms the aluminum housings, (some pretty badly)
** filament supply could have been DC to begin with, it will only cost them $5, they can probably charge $50 extra for this "silent no hum" edition.

and I think the transformer can be a bit larger. There is lots of space in the transformer box, if they can put in a 100w transformer and charge $50 more it will still be worth it.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #11,943 of 14,511
I'm wondering what the best pre-built 6SN7 foundation might be, better than the DV but not into the next price tier? Is Eufonika a step up? There are more new brands these days than I can keep up with.
Well this largely depends on the budget bracket you are willing to spend, respectful Pre-built 6SN7 (out of the box without adapter) would include the Woo Audio Woo Audio WA-22 and the Feliks Euforia and you can also hope for an Incubus which may end up being your end game for the 6SN7 👍

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #11,944 of 14,511
I only read the DV forum 😆. I do not own, lease, have any contingent liabilities related to a DV….whew!
Ohhh I it's mandatory to own a DV to be able to post in this forum or even to bash the DV 😆, will report you to the Head-Fi admins Mr. Woo

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #11,945 of 14,511
🎼🎶🎵🎼🎶🎵:

Who can take a tube (who can take a tube),
Price it really high (price it really high),
Post in on EBay (post in on EBay),
Wring your wallet dry (wring your wallet dry)?

The Bangy man can (the Bangy man can),
The Bangy man can ‘cause the money is his love.
What are you drinking exactly ? 🤣🤣🤣

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #11,946 of 14,511
What other starter amps? There are some pretty crappy amps coming out of China for less money, maybe it beats those?😜 I have repaired several and few start off with the hum of the dark voice, I can hear it and I can measure it lol. I guess you can ignore that and say the treble sounds good? How about the sound improving when you disconnect the pre-amp out?
Now really ? I should try disconnecting the Pre-amp and check

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #11,947 of 14,511
Yeah - I can't speak for @g3n3r1c 's experience but I just think of the other Chinese amps. They range from the Nobsounds to the Little Dot, Sabaj, or Loxjie series as far as I can remember. The DV hum is the worst - especially for non DIYers like myself. I was able to burn-in tubes enough and make most of the tubes I acquired usable, but the process and time involved with that wears on one over time - primarily the reason why I finally moved on from it. But I wouldn't change anything, it was an inexpensive way to experience that full tube OTL sound.
Agree, a good place to start your 6SN7 and 6AS7G journey and move on without spending additional money in modifying it.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #11,948 of 14,511
Yet here you/we are... :)
Everyone has to be somewhere. :ksc75smile:

I really like specific Melz 6sn7 equivalents and that is pretty much the only tube type I listen to, I have a collection that spans four decades of their production so I have plenty of those to roll. (I was able to hear in excess of 1500 types of equivalents and those are still my choice.) I cannot use those with the DV.
I have also spent a lot of time with various OTL amps and finally designed and built my own to get the exact sound I wanted and that sound works best for me with Focal Utopias, Melz tubes and various 5998's . Everything is relative and if the DV is your first experience with OTL's it is certainly an inexpensive way to get started. I started with tube audio in the mid sixties while in my early teens so my journey is different. I bought one just to get the dimensions to help with amp modification. :)

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #11,949 of 14,511
I have been told that, I have never tried it myself. Others here might be able to give opinions. It is my opinion that those sold outside the US that work on 220 v have less issues since you do not seem to get the hum we do in the states.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #11,950 of 14,511
I have been told that, I have never tried it myself. Others here might be able to give opinions. It is my opinion that those sold outside the US that work on 220 v have less issues since you do not seem to get the hum we do in the states.
Somehow true as the original design was around the 220V and then tweaked to the 110V. Not saying the 220V version is a silent performer though 😆 but definitely a notch better the 110V one.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #11,951 of 14,511
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #11,952 of 14,511
Those are the karaoke versions - the owners have to hum along…😆

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #11,953 of 14,511
come on, the 336se is not that bad.
though I do wish they do things a little differently, so I don't do unnecessary component replacements.
(not that the amp in stock configuration doesn't work, just that I can't live with some of the issues)

** the volume control is a linear pot ==> the usable adjustment range is only about 30 degrees
** capacitor clamps down too far, deforms the aluminum housings, (some pretty badly)
** filament supply could have been DC to begin with, it will only cost them $5, they can probably charge $50 extra for this "silent no hum" edition.

and I think the transformer can be a bit larger. There is lots of space in the transformer box, if they can put in a 100w transformer and charge $50 more it will still be worth it.

@AudioCats no it's not that bad at all. Great price point - it feels solid-ly built (like a tank), and sounds great when on point (tubes with no hum). I mean I started out with the HD6XX/650 and the DV was the only amp in this price point I was able to try that was "stars aligned super magical" sound with those headphones versus any hybrid or SS amp. No regrets at all. The DV made me learn a ton more about tubes and amplifier tech and it has been a fascinating ride.

I wish they did do the things as mentioned. I wonder if when they were designing or updating the 336, it's centered to run with their baseline operating specs: 220 and stock Chinese tubes. Anything that deviates from that - well you know anything can happen.

There is a reason so many try to modify the DV.😉
Plug in some respected Russian tubes and the SQ is even worse.

I think that maybe it is a pretty good litmus test of an amp - if it can take Russian tubes free and clear - I wonder if that is a good sign of the amp build/implementation. It was irritating for me on the DV to put some Melz/Fotons/Fonon and hear it could sound really really great but held back by the amp itself due to noise or hum.

So to that effect - @Paladin79 when you were designing the Incubus, I know you had it in mind to bring out the best out of the 6SN7 tube - did you have specific tubes in mind when you were building/tuning the amp as a baseline?

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #11,955 of 14,511

Just make sure you disconnect it in such a way that you can reconnect it back if you decide it changes the sound in a way you don't like. That mod allegedly aligns the specs more closely to the Crack insofar that it would lift the veil to some degree. (Link) if you want the specifics.

I think mostly it is positive, and a few here have said it does increase clarity. (I did not get this result, and thought it made my DV sound more uncontrolled/bassy - but I always seem to be the exception/have bad luck or just backwards a** amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back