Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 27, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,231 of 14,543

what tube did you order??  hopefully it was just a bum stock tube.. the stock tubes are not so hot anyways...  

w/ my DV336 I have been running mostly a GE 6AS7GA and RCA 6SN7GT I have quite liked these tubes w/ my DT880 250ohms headphones (these headphone do team quite nicely w/ the DV imho btw if you decided to start shopping about for new headphones)..   I don't ever turn the volume up past 11' or so..or it is quite loud with this combo.  most listening is more like 9' ~ 10' really.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,232 of 14,543

what tube did you order??  hopefully it was just a bum stock tube.. the stock tubes are not so hot anyways...  

w/ my DV336 I have been running mostly a GE 6AS7GA and RCA 6SN7GT I have quite liked these tubes w/ my DT880 250ohms headphones (these headphone do team quite nicely w/ the DV imho btw if you decided to start shopping about for new headphones)..   I don't ever turn the volume up past 11' or so..or it is quite loud with this combo.  most listening is more like 9' ~ 10' really.

I ordered what gvl2016 suggested. NOS GE6080 for $10. I will wait to see if tubes help before looking at new headphones. After spending $700 on the EL-8s like 6 weeks ago I am not ready to start looking for another pair of premium headphones 
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,233 of 14,543
So I've had my DV for a while but have neglected to buy any tubes for it as my eBay account was suspended. I've got my account back to normal and would like to purchase a set. Preferably from a larger company that I can trust to be good quality. I know different tubes for different sounds so if anyone has any recommendations on so,etching with great separation, detail, digs deep and has sweet highs Itd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,234 of 14,543
  I ordered what gvl2016 suggested. NOS GE6080 for $10. I will wait to see if tubes help before looking at new headphones. After spending $700 on the EL-8s like 6 weeks ago I am not ready to start looking for another pair of premium headphones 
frown.gif

It is unfortunate but you won't be able to get most of DV with these headphones even if the distortion is gone. If you have basic electronics and soldering skills swapping out output caps for electrolythics should be easy enough, not ideal but better than rolled off bass below 100Hz.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,235 of 14,543
  Unfortunately Massdrop's return policy is all sales are final.

And if it came down to it since I cannot return the amp I would probably try to find some open-back headphones to pair with it.

so I looked and they say to contact them within 30days for a defective / damaged item... If it was me, I'd probably contact them now (or at least within 30 days if the new tubes don't arrive quickly..) and let them know you are having a problem with the amp.. and see what they have to say...

but I would certainly try to keep my return option open if the amp itself turns out to be the issue..

I think you should order a ~low dollar 6SN7 tube also..

if you haven't figured it out by the time you get near the 30day window... I'd make sure you have started talking to massdrop support about the problem...

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,236 of 14,543

so I looked and they say to contact them within 30days for a defective / damaged item... If it was me, I'd probably contact them now (or at least within 30 days if the new tubes don't arrive quickly..) and let them know you are having a problem with the amp.. and see what they have to say...

but I would certainly try to keep my return option open if the amp itself turns out to be the issue..

I think you should order a ~low dollar 6SN7 tube also..

if you haven't figured it out by the time you get near the 30day window... I'd make sure you have started talking to massdrop support about the problem...

Good call. I just thought I always read that their sales were final. I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,237 of 14,543
@DoctaCosmos Hello man, I'm still quite a noob when it comes to tube rolling, but I got stocked up pretty hard the second I got the DV. Respect to the man who can keep his wallet closed lol. 
I feel an RCA combo may be what you are looking for. I found them to be the brightest tube selection. I prefer my highs tamed and my lows deep as hell, my favorite combo has been Sylvania VT-231 + Sylvania 7236 or 6080. 
RCA 6SN7 + RCA 6AS7G may be a good place to start and those are on the cheaper spectrum, which is beneficial if you don't like the taste.
Very detailed, but a bit to bright for my taste, highs were damn high.

@tej789 Sorry to hear about your problem mate. I would go along with @atarione's statement in that you should pick up some cheap 6SN7s and maybe even a 6AS7 or 6080 just to test. With ebay they should be able to get to your place pretty quick, there is also a couple tube stores with their 70's style websites.

I also, like you, had an issue with my DV in the beginning like 3 days in, the left channel completely cut out from me. It turned out to be the DAC being weird, so at least if that ever happens to you its most likely a source problem and quick restart of the DAC will solve all your issues.

As everyone else has stated, the stock tubes aren't great (not bad, but not great) and it's true the DV, without modifications, aren't going to pair well with low Z cans, but there are some tubes that are better than others for low Z cans. Not sure what they are off the top of my head so hopefully another tube roller will jump in here for you.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,238 of 14,543
So I've had my DV for a while but have neglected to buy any tubes for it as my eBay account was suspended. I've got my account back to normal and would like to purchase a set. Preferably from a larger company that I can trust to be good quality. I know different tubes for different sounds so if anyone has any recommendations on so,etching with great separation, detail, digs deep and has sweet highs Itd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have rolled a fair number of tubes. My top two favourites is a Tungsol 5998 and VT-231 BGRP on the DV and a Tungsol 6080 graphite column with Slyvania 5692 red base.  Benefit of hindsight I would rather invest in a better amp especially if I was using a HP like the Eikon. Don't get me wrong, the DV is a good value for money. Unfortunately I found the DV bass to be bloated even with good tubes. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,243 of 14,543
  I replaced the output caps to 300 Ohms Mundorf, and while it did improve the performance with low impedance headphones, IMO the Darkvoice really sounds the best with high impedance phones.  The pairing with 600 Ohm Beyer DT880's is pretty darn magnificent.  

I know it sounds like a broken record, but I completely agree. Trying the Fostex TH-X00s at 32 ohms, nearly vomited from the lack of everything that is sound lol. 250 ohms and up, the DV comes out of its own. I'm running the Beyerdynamic 1990 and the bass is there comparing it to the Solid State. No loss of anything, speed, detail, its crisp and clean and a touch warmer with INFINITE power from the DV. Blows my mind why the knob is so large when it can only go up to 11 o'clock before you are blowing ear drums.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,244 of 14,543

I know it sounds like a broken record, but I completely agree. Trying the Fostex TH-X00s at 32 ohms, nearly vomited from the lack of everything that is sound lol. 250 ohms and up, the DV comes out of its own. I'm running the Beyerdynamic 1990 and the bass is there comparing it to the Solid State. No loss of anything, speed, detail, its crisp and clean and a touch warmer with INFINITE power from the DV. Blows my mind why the knob is so large when it can only go up to 11 o'clock before you are blowing ear drums.

Amen!  Buy the DV and a set of high impedance Beyers (and maybe a couple tubes) and be done with it!  Seriously good sound that punches above it's weight (price) class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back