Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 21, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,201 of 14,501
  I clean tubes I receive with ISO alcohol, wipe glass and socket. Never had big smell after. There can be an oily film of dirt on the surface from years in storage and it can smell when the tube heats up until it burns off.

mmm... old dusty (probably asbestos ) smell... yum..

you haven't had any issues with printing coming off when cleaning with the ISO?  .. j

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,203 of 14,501
I originally posted this in the other tuberolling thread but since I found this part 2 I decided to post in here as well.

I just received my Darkvoice from Massdrop. I have noticed that when turning it up past 50% volume I start to get distortion and not much increase in volume. I have been trying to track it down to see if I can find a definite cause of it. I have tried using a Fiio E17K as an amp with both the headphone and output ports to see if it might be my headphones. With the E17K and turning the volume up on the darkvoice amp I can still notice some distortion, however, it is most noticeable when connecting headphones directly to the headphone port. Source is a turntable running through a phono preamp then into the Darkvoice. Headphones tested with are Klipsch Mode M40 and Audeze EL-8 Closed-back. My primaries are the EL-8s and I have to believe this thing should have no problem powering them and I shouldn't have any distortion. I am also thinking I shouldn't have to turn the volume up as much as I am having to.

I have read some things about the tubes being bad from the factory and I'm wondering if that could be it. If anyone else has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,204 of 14,501
I originally posted this in the other tuberolling thread but just discovered this one and thought I would put it in here as well.

I just received my Darkvoice from Massdrop. I have noticed that when turning it up past 50% volume I start to get distortion and not much increase in volume. I have been trying to track it down to see if I can find a definite cause of it. I have tried using a Fiio E17K as an amp with both the headphone and output ports to see if it might be my headphones. With the E17K and turning the volume up on the darkvoice amp I can still notice some distortion, however, it is most noticeable when connecting headphones directly to the headphone port. Source is a turntable running through a phono preamp then into the Darkvoice. Headphones tested with are Klipsch Mode M40 and Audeze EL-8 Closed-back. My primaries are the EL-8s and I have to believe this thing should have no problem powering them and I shouldn't have any distortion. I am also thinking I shouldn't have to turn the volume up as much as I am having to.

I have read some things about the tubes being bad from the factory and I'm wondering if that could be it. If anyone else has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,206 of 14,501
Would you suggest getting some new tubes to see if it fixes it? I was also concerned that the volume was not getting very loud. I mean yeah it is enough to block background noise but with the EL-8s being 30ohms wouldn't it be really easy for this thing to drive them, as in not having to turn the knob much. Could a bad tube also contribute to that or do I just not know what I am talking about with the ohms etc.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,207 of 14,501
  Would you suggest getting some new tubes to see if it fixes it? I was also concerned that the volume was not getting very loud. I mean yeah it is enough to block background noise but with the EL-8s being 30ohms wouldn't it be really easy for this thing to drive them, as in not having to turn the knob much. Could a bad tube also contribute to that or do I just not know what I am talking about with the ohms etc.

This amp doesn't pair too well with low-impedance headphones as there is a significant loss of low frequencies with them, but it should have no problem driving 30Ohm without distortion to very loud levels. I suggest trying a different output tube as you want to replace the stock one anyways. The symptoms you describe is exactly what I experienced with bad output tubes driving 32 Ohm phones, other tubes work fine in mine, so definitely could be a bad tube.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,208 of 14,501

An OTL amp like the DV really works best with hi-z headphones like Sennheiser 600/650 or the Beyer 600 ohm models. That is what I use with my DV and I seldom get the volume above 9 o'clock.

I've only used it one time with my Philips X2s (30 ohm) and it REALLY sounded poor.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,209 of 14,501
Originally Posted by gvl2016

This amp doesn't pair too well with low-impedance headphones as there is a significant loss of low frequencies with them, but it should have no problem driving 30Ohm without distortion to very loud levels. I suggest trying a different output tube as you want to replace the stock one anyways. The symptoms you describe is exactly what I experienced with bad output tubes driving 32 Ohm phones, other tubes work fine in mine, so definitely could be a bad tube.

Using my Klipsch Mode M40s exhibited the same audio characteristics and those are 32Ohms, right at the lower ohm limit of the amp.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,210 of 14,501
  Using my Klipsch Mode M40s exhibited the same audio characteristics and those are 32Ohms, right at the lower ohm limit of the amp.

Are you saying you had distortion with the M40s but no distortion with higher impedance headphones? I had no issues pairing Philips SHP9500s with the DV even if there is a slight loss of low end, and they actually sound good. I tried other 32 Ohm headphones as well, they didn't sound as nice but there was no distortion. With the bad tubes there was distortion always, even when using the DV as pre-amp with no headphones attached. Btw this is something to try to eliminate the headphones as potential problem. Burning the tubes in may help too, but if the tube is gassy there won't be an improvement running with a gassy tube isn't good for the amp.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,211 of 14,501

Are you saying you had distortion with the M40s but no distortion with higher impedance headphones? I had no issues pairing Philips SHP9500s with the DV even if there is a slight loss of low end, and they actually sound good. I tried other 32 Ohm headphones as well, they didn't sound as nice but there was no distortion. With the bad tubes there was distortion always, even when using the DV as pre-amp with no headphones attached. Btw this is something to try to eliminate the headphones as potential problem. Burning the tubes in may help too, but if the tube is gassy it isn't good for the amp.

No I am saying there was distortion with the 32ohm as well. I could try burning them in for a while. How would I know if the tube is gassy?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,213 of 14,501

You'd need a tube tester to know for sure. Purple glow around plates would be one symptom but not guaranteed.

I did not notice any purple, just the orange glow.

I saw one thing about burning in the tubes in this amp and they suggested removing the 6AS7 tube and leaving the amp on for three days. Is it common practice to remove the large tube for burn-in?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,214 of 14,501
  I did not notice any purple, just the orange glow.

I saw one thing about burning in the tubes in this amp and they suggested removing the 6AS7 tube and leaving the amp on for three days. Is it common practice to remove the large tube for burn-in?

If you're burning in just a new 6SN7 sure, as there is no reason to run the output tube unless you are actually listening to the amp at the same time. In your case you need to try to burn-in both tubes, so need to leave both tubes in. There can be some leftover gasses from the factory inside the tube and it takes some heat and time for the getter to absorb them, so burning them in might help.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,215 of 14,501

If you're burning in just a new 6SN7 sure, as there is no reason to run the output tube unless you are actually listening to the amp at the same time. In your case you need to try to burn-in both tubes, so need to leave both tubes in. There can be some leftover gasses from the factory inside the tube and it takes some heat and time for the getter to absorb them, so burning them in might help.

Is there any chance of this thing overheating? That large tube gets pretty hot and I don't want to leave it on when I am not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back