Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,096 of 14,502
@DoctaCosmos

I with you, love the highs, but want them toned down just a touch. My favorite 6SN7 tube right now is the Sylvania VT-231. It pulls the highs down, has good midrange, but has a very thrumming low end. I feel, IMO, it has better bass than the Kenrad VT-231, but the Kenrad VT-231 has very tight bass where as the Sylvania VT-231 has a bit more of a "warbly" bass, if that makes sense.

I'm still a noob tube roller so I don't feel qualified to give you a good idea on tube combos. I think steering clear of RCA for the time being and trying out Sylvania and TungSol would be your best bet. 

6SN7 Reference Thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread
^^^^^ Great place to find the pre-amp tube you are looking for. Honestly, I feel the pre-amp tube has a bit more effect on what you are hearing. There is debate on this, but the only time I can really hear the music change is when I am swapping out the 6SN7s. 

As for Power Tubes (6AS7)
RCA 6AS7G - Bit Bright and Clean 
TungSol or Sylvania 6080 - Can't go wrong, great power tubes.
TungSol 5998 - Pricey, but highly recommended by just about everyone.

Do you have any links for the 6SN7 and the 6AS7 tubes you are referring too?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,097 of 14,502
Do you have any links for the 6SN7 and the 6AS7 tubes you are referring too?

But of course,

Sylvania VT-231
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAN-CHS-6SN7GT-VT-231-SYLVANIA-TALL-GLASS-BLACK-PLATE-SUPERB-AUDIO-TUBE-/262457922884?hash=item3d1bb61544:g:TBIAAOSwUfNXSao2

Kenrad VT-231
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Rad-JAN-CKR-6SN7GT-VT-231-1940s-USA-Vacuum-Tube-Amplitrex-Tested-at-90-/282298995947?hash=item41ba54d4eb:g:lScAAOSwZQRYWrVp

RCA 6AS7G
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MATCHED-NOS-RCA-JAN-6AS7G-VACUUM-TUBES-DATED-10-67-/302190220009?hash=item465bf0d2e9:g:RcYAAOSwo4pYcVs6

Sylvania 6080
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Jan-6080WC-Sylvania-Vacuum-Tubes-Tested-Strong-And-Guaranteed-/142222160696?hash=item211d19f338:g:lnYAAOSwbYZXV5SC

TungSol 5998
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-NOS-TUNG-SOL-5998-TUBES-DOMINO-BLACK-PLATE-6080-421A-TYPE-PAIRS-AVAILABLE-/182399263346?hash=item2a77d7e272:g:Rv0AAOSwzgRW0e5k

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #1,099 of 14,502
I would like to restate my own personal fondness for the GE 6AS7GA .. really detailed and smooth sound with this one in the DV

I hate to say it ..but I think I prefer the GE 6AS7GA to the RCA 6AS7G

I think I'm going to pick up a couple 6060WA tubes to mess around with.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,100 of 14,502
  I would like to restate my own personal fondness for the GE 6AS7GA .. really detailed and smooth sound with this one in the DV

I hate to say it ..but I think I prefer the GE 6AS7GA to the RCA 6AS7G

I think I'm going to pick up a couple 6060WA tubes to mess around with.

@atarione, did you ever grab those 6060WA? Or did you mean 6080WA? 

Right now I am working on finding my favorite combo, once that is found I can start playing with other combos.

Last night I was running Sylvania VT-231 + Bendix 6080. Loved it, I have a tough time explaining what I hear because of the length of time it takes to swap tubes or just the general I will listen to a certain tube combo one night and swap it out the next, pretty much completely forgetting the finer details and having to focus on the more generalized, but I will succeed.

Anyways (Sylvania VT-231 + Bendix 6080) , very enjoyable. I am absolutely in love with the Sylvania VT-231. It has this extended low range, when coupled with the Sylvania 6080, that can literally vibrate the speaker below my ear. Most of the bass comes about middle of my ear (makes sense) but when two Sylvania's are in the DV, the low end response is the entire speaker. 

With the Bendix 6080, the bass was impactful, the sound was full of warmth, and sounded like I was front row at a concert. Didn't matter what was playing, metal, screamo, dubstep, acoustic, etc. All of it sounded deliciously good.

Tonights combo: Sylvania VT-231 + Sylvania 6080
I think this is my favorite combo so far, I keeeep going back to it. The low end response is warm and magical in my ears. The highs are almoooost too much, but just pulled down a dB or two, perfect. I tend to listen to my music too loud I'm sure. Really curious about the Sylvania 7236 and Sylvania 6AS7, which are on my to buy list. I love when a song comes on that I KNOW so well, I've listened to it a million times, and all the sudden I'm like, that's how good those guitar strings can sound? I know it might not be accurate, but hell I don't care, it sounds so damn good. 

How do you guys compare tubes best?

What I think would be a great way to really compare different tube combos would be to record the same song coming from my headphones with a bunch of different types of tube combos, then listen to it all over again with a solid state amp and see if I can pick out the differences. Theoretically, in my mind, this makes sense since a solid state amp gives the most accurate response so by recording songs from the headphones with a tube then listening to those songs with a solid state amp would give an accurate idea on how or if the sound changes.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #1,101 of 14,502
I'm afraid to spend $$ on tubes and it change the sound to much! I mean there's plenty of room for refinement but the simple fact of the matter i my music finally has soul. I've started making new playlists with old songs. What this amp has really done for me is made me want to get a tube amp for my speakers, my newest playlist "tubes" was made entirely with me imagining the songs were being plaid through some speakers just sending this musical vibe through the whole room that no one could resist stopping to listen.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,102 of 14,502
I'm afraid to spend $$ on tubes and it change the sound to much! I mean there's plenty of room for refinement but the simple fact of the matter i my music finally has soul. I've started making new playlists with old songs. What this amp has really done for me is made me want to get a tube amp for my speakers, my newest playlist "tubes" was made entirely with me imagining the songs were being plaid through some speakers just sending this musical vibe through the whole room that no one could resist stopping to listen.

It's not like you can't revert back to the tubes you enjoy most, but I completely understand what you mean. I have not been able to take my HD650s off my head every single night. 

Anyone ever try out the PSVane tubes? They are all over the place, quite expensive, and I have never read a single review on them anywhere. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Psvane-UK-6SN7-HIFI-series-Vacuum-Tubes-/351950878599?hash=item51f1e83787:g:S8MAAOSw-kdX0Po9

States it is a 6SN7 tube, but I dunno about that. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #1,103 of 14,502
Well that's quite obvious lol. Guess what I'm saying is I'm playing the ignorance is bliss role for a while. I'll let this play out for a while till I get my zmf eikons and then probably upgrade tubes as I have a feeling they will being out the flaws worse.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,104 of 14,502
I'm hoping I can replicate this soulful quality with my speaker setup. Hopping something as similar as running it as a tube pre amp can bring it to the table and I won't have to go the full on tube power amplification too.anyone on here have any ideas?

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,105 of 14,502
try it out..

I have been using it quite a lot with my Sony TA-N77ES > JBL L1's .. been quite nice.. getting nice tube preamp sound ..   I have the matching Sony TA-E77ESD preamp for my sony power amp.. it is a quite nice SS pre but the DV is quite good with it as well.

down side is of course burning the tubes the whole time it is one..  I'm pondering picking up one of these to try

https://www.amazon.com/Douk-Audio-Vacuum-Pre-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B01FD7NHUY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484114509&sr=1-2&keywords=tube+preamplifier

especially come summer time the heat from the DV may be problematic in my home office room here..

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,106 of 14,502
Finally Powertube rolling can start!!!! Today I've received finally from vacuumtubes.net my:
  1. 7236 Tung-Sol (NOS USA)
  2. 6080 Tung-Sol (NOS USA)
Unfortunatelly the 6AS7G Chatham was no stock available. A pitty, because @UntilThen very fond of this tube. Besides these NOS tubes I have the
  1. GE 6AS7GA (NOS)
  2. Sovtek 6AS7G (new Russian)

Let's check out how they combine with the driver tubes:
  1. 6SN7GTB Tung-Sol (new Russian)
  2. 6SN7GTB Sylvania NOS USA)

Looking forward to an evening listening to music and checking the different tubes. Thank you all guys for this great forum and advise. Any suggestions what kind of tube I'm really missing? Besides the 5998 Tung Sol. That one is too expensive in my opinion.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,108 of 14,502

I have bought 5x tubes on ebay .. 4 of them came from 2x tube deals

GE 6AS7GA (which I personally quite like vs the stock tube) and a RCA 6AS7G (also very decent) got the pair of them for $18~ shipped

RCA 6SN7GT and 6SN7GTB 2x tube deal also near about $18 shipped.. both a upgrade from the stock tube

then I was browsing and saw a GE 6SN7GTB for $4.99 w/ free shipping so I bought that also..

see the 6SN7 reference guide here.. there are a lot of fairly inexpensive tubes on ebay (but .. watch for the sellers feedback and whatever)  .. the tubes listed above are the collective whole of my experience.. but I'm relatively happy with all of them

running the RCA 6AS7G and GE 6SN7GTB currently...   working quite well w/ my DT880's

So just ordered the RCA 6AS7G and GE 6SN7GTB, hopefully i will enjoy them as much as you do :)

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,109 of 14,502
  Does anyone know the actual output impedence from the darkvoice with the stock tubes?

If I am understanding your question correctly, does not matter if you have the stock Chinese tubes or USA NOS tubes, the DV does not like low impedance headphones. Anything around 250 ohm and up would be fine, but when you get into the lower impedance headphones the bass goes out the window. For example, the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts (32 ohms), best sub bass I have ever heard (so far) and it is at pitiful levels on my DarkVoice. As for the exact number, I do not know. No matter what information you find about the DV, it will always state that it can handle 32~600 ohm headphones, but try to shoot for 250~600 ohms.

There are some mods that can be done to the DarkVoice to better suit low impedance cans like swapping out the 6 main capacitors if my memory serves me well. I have not done this, but have heard of it. Also some tubes are better for low impedance cans, what they are I am not sure, someone else would have to suggest them for you. The tubes that I speak of are buried somewhere in these 73 pages.

Finally Powertube rolling can start!!!! Today I've received finally from vacuumtubes.net my:
  1. 7236 Tung-Sol (NOS USA)
  2. 6080 Tung-Sol (NOS USA)
Unfortunatelly the 6AS7G Chatham was no stock available. A pitty, because @UntilThen very fond of this tube. Besides these NOS tubes I have the
  1. GE 6AS7GA (NOS)
  2. Sovtek 6AS7G (new Russian)

Let's check out how they combine with the driver tubes:
  1. 6SN7GTB Tung-Sol (new Russian)
  2. 6SN7GTB Sylvania NOS USA)

Looking forward to an evening listening to music and checking the different tubes. Thank you all guys for this great forum and advise. Any suggestions what kind of tube I'm really missing? Besides the 5998 Tung Sol. That one is too expensive in my opinion.

@Verhulk, I would try the Sylvania 6SN7GTB with the TungSol 7236 as my first go around if you haven't already got some tubes humming away. Those tubes look absolutely perfect though, I'm very tempted to snag the Sylvania 7236s I have had my eyes on. I dunno what it is about Sylvania, but I think I find them to be my favorite tubes. Which tubes did you get from the store that I can NEVER remember the name of lol. 

So just ordered the RCA 6AS7G and GE 6SN7GTB, hopefully i will enjoy them as much as you do :)

@PurpleAngel, I feel like you've been in the DV game for awhile no? Either way the RCA 6AS7G is faaantastic. Great power tube, I won't let my ideas of the sound fill your head, please do come back and tell us your experience with them.

@atarione, how is that GE 6SN7GTB? I have not had the good grace to purchase that tube yet.  

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #1,110 of 14,502
  @PurpleAngel, I feel like you've been in the DV game for awhile no? Either way the RCA 6AS7G is faaantastic. Great power tube, I won't let my ideas of the sound fill your head, please do come back and tell us your experience with them.

Got the DV in August 2016 (5 months ago).
Before that only tube head amps used was sub $100 Indeed brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back