Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 13, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,126 of 14,518
  @41Venom14. Thank you! Today home office: listening to the Sylvania 6SN7GTB and The Tung-Sol 6080. Later this day I expect DHL to bring the Sennheiser HD650, in addition to the pretty basic Grado 225i and the AKG 240II Studio Monitors. The Grado isn't a great combination with the Darkvoice. The AKG is not bad, but I expect to have a better Headphone with the HD650, especially because the impedance is much higher. I'm sure this will be a huge upgrade.

So indeed a lot of tuberolling possiblities, and headphone changes possible, LOL. This evening friends will stay for dinner, so I'm afraid that I'll have to wait with real listening untill tomorrow

Have fun!

Oh @Verhulk, you are in for a treat when you get those HD650s, I had no idea you just snagged a pair, congratulations. I think, IMO, everyone should either have listened to or have a pair of 600 or 650s. Just that amazing step into the world of headphones. Ever since I've started tube rolling, I haven't wanted to touch my solid state at all or other headphones. Just rocking the HD650s and the tubes. 

And I totally agree with @ThermalAlchemy, not only can you have a bunch of different headphones, you can have the same pair of headphones and make your AMP CHANGE! Its a glorious world we live in. I was pretty blown away last night with the Kenrad VT-231 + Bendix 6080 pairing. Warm, thrumming, precise, and the bass was magnificent. Better than the Sylvania VT231 + Sylvania 6080 combo I've been harping about as of last. Shame shame. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,127 of 14,518
Oh @Verhulk
, you are in for a treat when you get those HD650s, I had no idea you just snagged a pair, congratulations. I think, IMO, everyone should either have listened to or have a pair of 600 or 650s. Just that amazing step into the world of headphones. Ever since I've started tube rolling, I haven't wanted to touch my solid state at all or other headphones. Just rocking the HD650s and the tubes. 

And I totally agree with @ThermalAlchemy
, not only can you have a bunch of different headphones, you can have the same pair of headphones and make your AMP CHANGE! Its a glorious world we live in. I was pretty blown away last night with the Kenrad VT-231 + Bendix 6080 pairing. Warm, thrumming, precise, and the bass was magnificent. Better than the Sylvania VT231 + Sylvania 6080 combo I've been harping about as of last. Shame shame. 

As you noticed headphones are amplifier sensitive or vice versa depending on which way you're looking at it or in our case listening to it. There's modifications that are considered fairly simple for somebody with a little electronics and understanding of how the resistors ,capacitors and power source influence your sound and amount of base that can be reproduced by your headphones or speakers on high output amplifiers. It's not difficult and it's not expensive. The amount of money you invested in the few tubes you have already purchased would most likely equal or exceed what it takes to modify your amplifier and make it a stellar performer with any set up I headphones. But then it would take away from the set of headphones that are used to perform well with to change .

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,130 of 14,518
There's modifications that are considered fairly simple for somebody with a little electronics and understanding of how the resistors ,capacitors and power source influence your sound and amount of base that can be reproduced by your headphones or speakers on high output amplifiers. It's not difficult and it's not expensive.

@ThermalAlchemy what modifications do you mean? Sounds interesting!

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #1,131 of 14,518

So much yes, Sylvania 6CG7 Long Plate Copper Post Tube (1958).

This is the kind of stuff that totally gets me geeked out, thank you @UntilThen.

Looks great @41Venom14. Would like to hear them! For me its clear that the best combination which I have now is the Sylvania 6SN&GTB and the Tung Sol 7236. What affordable tubes would be an improvement? Or would a cheap modification as @ThermalAlchemy suggests be better.

Or just be happy as my Darkvoice sounds now. Its really great, never expected to have such a great sound from this Tube Amp!

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,132 of 14,518
  Nice. No hum? 

There is a very very slight hum, but it's so minor that it disappears the first second music is playing. Love it, the tube sounded great actually, I was very impressed. 

Looks great @41Venom14. Would like to hear them! For me its clear that the best combination which I have now is the Sylvania 6SN&GTB and the Tung Sol 7236. What affordable tubes would be an improvement? Or would a cheap modification as @ThermalAlchemy suggests be better.

Or just be happy as my Darkvoice sounds now. Its really great, never expected to have such a great sound from this Tube Amp!

@Verhulk, I mean honestly what harm could more tubes have
darthsmile.gif
 lol. How are those HD650s + DV treating you man? I am awaiting a Sylvania 6SN7 Chrome Dome. The getter flash coated the entirety of the tube, it's absolutely beautiful.

Ebay gave me a $10 off coupon, gotta use by 01/19, what tube should I buy?! Lol.  

AAHHH too late, I've been eyeing up these NOS Sylvania 7236s for a very long time, so I pulled the trigger. Should be getting the Sylvania 6SNGTA Chrome Dome tomorrow, can't wait to pair it with the Sylvania 7236. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #1,134 of 14,518
  I'm very, very happy with the combination of the Darkvoice and the Sennheiser HD 650. This combination as awesome! Would like to hear if the Sylvania 6SNGTA Chrome Dome is really better with a 7236 Sylvania instead of the Tung Sol 7236 or a Bendix 6080

Seriously, I am having struggles trying to find a better pairing of headphones with this amp. It loves high impedance, only other headphones that could be magical would be the flagship Senns or Beyerdynamics. Pretty much, no planar with the DV, only dynamic drivers and I'm half tempted to look into the HD800s just so I could pair it with the DV, but then maybe look into the WA22...uses the same exact tubes...or the Elise like UT has.

I wish the TungSol 5998 were not so damn expensive. 

@Verhulk, I have not seen pictures yet of these tubes?! Or maybe I have...I'll post a pic tonight of the Sylvania 6SN7GTA Chrome Dome, should be just waiting for me till I get home.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #1,135 of 14,518
I have a feeling the new zmf eikon and Atticus are going to pair VERY well with the DV. In fact I will know within a couple weeks hopefully. :D

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,136 of 14,518
I have a feeling the new zmf eikon and Atticus are going to pair VERY well with the DV. In fact I will know within a couple weeks hopefully.
biggrin.gif

@DoctaCosmos, Please do keep me informed on this. I'm looking at the ZMF Ori, but if the Eikon or Atticus perform better (considering the Ori is just a modded T50 with 32ohms) then I may snag one or the other.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,137 of 14,518
It's already very well known that the new dynamic drivers out perform the t50modded cans. Also, I'm hooked on the otl sound and considering these headphones were made with tubes in mind I'm pretty sure it'll be a better match with the darkvoice than the ori. Now I just need to find a pin otl speaker amp that's as budget friendly as the DV. If they even make the, anyways.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,138 of 14,518

My first tube rolling with the 336SE, sounds good, but I liked the glow pattern of the stock tubes better.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,139 of 14,518

@DoctaCosmos, Please do keep me informed on this. I'm looking at the ZMF Ori, but if the Eikon or Atticus perform better (considering the Ori is just a modded T50 with 32ohms) then I may snag one or the other.

The otho's I've tried on the DV didn't sound quite right - T40RP, T50RP-Mayflower and the HE-400i. Everything else sounds like it should - HD650, SHP9500, AKG K-141.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,140 of 14,518
  The otho's I've tried on the DV didn't sound quite right - T40RP, T50RP-Mayflower and the HE-400i. Everything else sounds like it should - HD650, SHP9500, AKG K-141.

Yeah I found that the T50s and Th-X00s sound like garbage on the DV. Low impedance headphones lose all of that low end that is so important to quantify warmth in my opinion. 

My first tube rolling with the 336SE, sounds good, but I liked the glow pattern of the stock tubes better.

Looking good @PurpleAngel, I agree the toughest part of tubes is finding a pair that glows beautiful (and sound good doing it). Honestly, the best glowing tube I've found so far is the TungSol 6SN7GT Mouse Ears, the mouse ears reflect the heating elements so the entire tube lights up. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow as my tubes are rolling right now and I do not feel like swapping them out. 
Rocking that Sylvania 6SN7GTA Chrome Dome + Bendix 6080 Combo, cannot wait for my Sylvania 7236 to come. 

I promised pics of the (not full tube getter flash but close) Sylvania 6SN7GTA Chrome Dome and will post a pic of the Mouse Ears that I happen to have.

Sylvania 6SN7 Chrome Dome + Bendix 6080

TungSol 6SN7 Mouse Ears + RCA 6AS7G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back