Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 5, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,081 of 14,518
  lol... if you did leave you headphones there they might melt?? which would be quite sad indeed.

how do you like that coin base 6SN7.. that tube got pretty roasted on in the Ref thread... looks pretty kewl however.    Also how do you like that 6080 right now I'm running the GE 6AS7GA straight bottle tube  + RCA 6SN7GT

Lol, seriously, I honestly don't think I can part with my HD650s. They have been the best headphones I've bought so far. They do everything right. The second is the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts.The sub bass and the vocals and omg it does all of it right lol.

The GE 6SN7GT Coin Base version was the one that got roasted. I'm not sure about the other companies coin bases, but the RCA Coin Base version was a bit to bright for me. I love the HD650s, but they are bright enough as is. 

I rather enjoyed the Sylvania 6SN7GT Coin Base, honestly I think Sylvania is one of my favorite companies. I'm really on the look out for that gooey thick honey coated warmth that the Sylvania just seem to give off. The Sylvania VT-231, in my opinion, has better bass than the Kenrad VT-231. Maybe it's all subjective, the Sylvania VT-231 has this thrumming low end, where the Kenrad is tight, which maybe is where the "best bass" tube comes from.

Just got the TungSol 6SN7GT Mouse Ears in! My god its gorgeous, the seller unfortunately wrote "98 100/50" on the tube in sharpie, dick, lol thankfully its located on the back of the tube when it is in place. 

Combo for tonight - TungSol 6SN7GT Mouse Ears and RCA 6AS7G (such a fan of the "coke" bottle). There is a bit of hum in the left channel from the TungSol but not very loud and the music easily drowns it out. Gonna need some time with this tube, obviously it sounds good. The bass is tight, the soundstage is an increase from the Sylvania combo I had going and of course there is a picture lol. Cannot wait to get the Bendix 6080. Should get it sometime next week. Also a KenRad 6SN7GTB came in. Tooo maaany tubes to listen too ugh. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,082 of 14,518
After reading both threads on the 336se, I finally bit the bullet and hopped on the Massdrop buy. My DV shows up tomorrow and and I have a Tung Sol 5998 and a Tung Sol Tall 6SN7GTB waiting for it. There are also a set of Nichicon 220uF 200v axials on their way for the Fitz Mod.

I have some questions on the 5998. The one I received has green writing on it. It also has 3 mica plates on top. The seller stated that it has black Domino plates. Sadly I am not exactly sure if I ordered the correct 5998 that everyone here is recommending.

In addition , the base plate on the 5998 is a little loose. I can rotate it about 10 degrees, Need I worry about that?

I looking forward to putting my HD650's on this unit. Right now they are on a Fiio K5 with a 5Xii in DAC mode from my Hackintosh Intel NUC.

Thx
Mike

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,083 of 14,518
  After reading both threads on the 336se, I finally bit the bullet and hopped on the Massdrop buy. My DV shows up tomorrow and and I have a Tung Sol 5998 and a Tung Sol Tall 6SN7GTB waiting for it. There are also a set of Nichicon 220uF 200v axials on their way for the Fitz Mod.

I have some questions on the 5998. The one I received has green writing on it. It also has 3 mica plates on top. The seller stated that it has black Domino plates. Sadly I am not exactly sure if I ordered the correct 5998 that everyone here is recommending.

In addition , the base plate on the 5998 is a little loose. I can rotate it about 10 degrees, Need I worry about that?

I looking forward to putting my HD650's on this unit. Right now they are on a Fiio K5 with a 5Xii in DAC mode from my Hackintosh Intel NUC.

Thx
Mike

Welcome to the world of the DV and already tube rolling with the best of them. I think UT would be the best to answer the question about the tubes aye @UntilThen?

Honestly, the best way to find out if a tube works is to fire it up in the DV. As long as the getter flash is still chrome or black and not white, the vacuum should be still good and that would be the biggest concern if the base was loose, in my opinion. 

Please post pictures on the Fitz Mod. I am looking to do it as well and if any other beginners at modifying want to try their hands at it, I think a good couple pictures would be awesome @goodtill.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #1,084 of 14,518
Wecome to the beautifull world of tuberolling @goodtill Looks like you've bought some great tubes, but there are more experienced members here in this tuberolling party. The chineese tubes are not that good. But changing the tubes gives a lot of fun. I have now as drive tubes:
  1. Regular Chinese tube
  2. New Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (russian)
  3. Sylvania 6SN7 GTB chome top

My experience with the new Tung-Sol wasn't very good. Yes it was much better compared with the regular tube, but it gave a lot of hum. Even after 6 days burning in there was still a hum. Then I received the Sylvania. Way better!

Yesterday evening i tried the Tung-Sol 6SN6GTB again. WHAT a sound difference compared to some days earlier. A lot of punch, more bass, but still very clear. The downside was that there is still a (very) small hum. It was already late when I experienced this, so I had to go to bed. Now its morning and I can't wait to come home tonight and play and listen to some different kinds of music and test the tubes. The sylvania still has to burn in. Hope that there will be a sound improvement as well.

My order of the 3 different powertubes is still in the USA. Now the are in sunny  Miami on the airport. Looks like they don't want go to dark and cold Holland. But it will be a lot of fun combining all those tubes together. Checking out all the combinations.

Have a great day!

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #1,085 of 14,518

Thx
Mike

5998 does have the Domino plates. Little dimples of 6 on the plates. 3 mica plates in the tube is correct. You have the 5998 indeed.

The way to fix loose base  is to apply clear nail polish on the joint between the base and the glass. When it dries, it will hold up well. Give the area a wipe with a lightly damp cloth and dry before applying.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,087 of 14,518
  Hey guys 

I've just received my DV 336SE and want to change the tubes what do you guys recommend ? 
and where is the best place to buy them 
i use it with HD 700 + AKG 7XX 

Welcome, welcome, to the world of tubeeee rolling, where the tubes are plentiful, but your wallet is empty. 

As for tubes, go back a couple pages and see as about 3 of us all got DVs and started tube rolling at the same time, so there's a lot of tube information there.

I'm quite partial to Sylvania tubes, but each and everyone of us has their preferences.

Your 6SN7 (preamp) Reference thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

As for Power Tube:
TungSol, RCA, Sylvania 6080s, great tubes.
RCA 6AS7G - Highly recommend (coke bottle shape)
Bendix 6080 - if you can find one.
TungSol 5998 - High rollers tube (aka $$$$$)

EBAY! 
There's also a couple out dated websites hanging around that I never purchased from.
@Verhulk has some experience with this, care to chime in mate? Do you have tubes from that site yet?

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,088 of 14,518
my advice.. is short and simple ...RUNNNN!! no wait... just kidding

I would probably go ebay route.. just buy from established sellers with good feed back and buy tested tubes.

What I would do and did do... was to stay away from the $$$$$ tubes.. at first at least

I have 5x tubes now besides the stock tubes..    4X of them came from 2x lot's ..   all in all they came out to about $8 ea  ::1x GE 6SA7GA (straight bottle) 1 X RCA 6AS7G (coke bottle)  and RCA 6SN7GT and GTB.    I also impulse bought a $5 GE 6SN7GTB for $5

probably for me honestly all of these tubes are well ahead of the Chinese tubes that come with the DV    ...what I have been running most of the time is the RCA 6AS7G and the RCA 6SN7GT but any of them are pretty good.

I may spring for something more spendy later .. but a nice low $$ NOS USA tube is probably good enough ... imho.. but hey if anyone wants to plop down for $$$$ tubes by all means go for it.

edit :::  I really want one of them mouse ears TungSol's now however

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #1,089 of 14,518
Warm welcome @sohailoo! You'll have a lot of fun with your Darkvoice. Agree what @atarione and @41Venom14 advice. I've bought some cheap tubes. I'm now listening to the
*Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (new Russian)
*Sovtek 6AS7G (new Russian)

Both tubes took some time to get the right sound. Especially the Tung-Sol. But if you do it this way, tube rolling starts to be really fun. After one week, this tube sounds very, very good. I'm sure there are better tubes available, so I've bought several tubes as well. The NOS USA Sylvania 6 SN7GTB sounds great and better.

As a power tube I've bought the NOS GE 6AS7GA. Very cheap, but I don't like this tube compared to the Sovtek. So new and Russian isn't always bad, LOL.

I'm indeed waiting for some tubes bought at VacuumTubes The website isn't very good qua looks, but very informative and the prices are reasonable. I'm still waiting for my 3 power tubes, but it has nothing to do with the company, but with the postal service. USPS is shipping it since januari 2nd, and I can track the shipment. They are shipping it everywhere, but are still in Florida, grrr. So I can't say anything about the quality of VacuumTubes.net, but it looks like they are OK.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,090 of 14,518

Digging it so far! It has its strengths and it's weakness. I'm sure all stock tube related. First things first, my brain just simply accepts the sound as being more real. It's less dry than my Asgard but also less texture. My wife's p7's have got a good dip in the lower midrange and not only sets most male vocals back but also causes big discontinuty between it and the upper midrange. The darkvoice really opens up the midrange though and allows you to see into it better and this helps with the dip making it a more palpable experience. However the p7 also gets a bit muddy in the lower midrange when upper bass comes into play, the amp expresses this and because the tube adds a bit of reverb the muddiness flaw is expressed a bit more And yuck. I don't see it as a flaw in the amp though.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,091 of 14,518
I need to find some good tubes for my 336SE and HD800S'. I still am using the ones from the day purchased and they seem to be getting worn out with the little use.
I have searched over this whole site for a good combination and can not find a definitive answer on what may be a great combo for my combo. Anyone have any suggestions for that will give me the nice mellow highs I'm looking for with the rich mid and low response. I love these HD800S's. but I still need to roll off the highs a little to offset my tinnitus. the Bad part is. I listen to anything and everything so thats why I can't find the tubes I would fit me . Any help would be appreciated

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,092 of 14,518
Digging it so far! It has its strengths and it's weakness. I'm sure all stock tube related. First things first, my brain just simply accepts the sound as being more real. It's less dry than my Asgard but also less texture. My wife's p7's have got a good dip in the lower midrange and not only sets most male vocals back but also causes big discontinuty between it and the upper midrange. The darkvoice really opens up the midrange though and allows you to see into it better and this helps with the dip making it a more palpable experience. However the p7 also gets a bit muddy in the lower midrange when upper bass comes into play, the amp expresses this and because the tube adds a bit of reverb the muddiness flaw is expressed a bit more but then also adds reverb to it. I don't see it as a flaw in the amp though.

@DoctaCosmos, what tube is that in the 6SN7 slot good sir?

I need to find some good tubes for my 336SE and HD800S'. I still am using the ones from the day purchased and they seem to be getting worn out with the little use.
I have searched over this whole site for a good combination and can not find a definitive answer on what may be a great combo for my combo. Anyone have any suggestions for that will give me the nice mellow highs I'm looking for with the rich mid and low response. I love these HD800S's. but I still need to roll off the highs a little to offset my tinnitus. the Bad part is. I listen to anything and everything so thats why I can't find the tubes I would fit me . Any help would be appreciated

I am with you on the highs from the Sennheiser line up. I only have the HD650s, but when running the solid state amp, the highs can be very fatiguing.

Your best bet is to probably stay away from RCA tubes. They are great, don't get me wrong, but they are very bright tubes, IMO.

I with you, love the highs, but want them toned down just a touch. My favorite 6SN7 tube right now is the Sylvania VT-231. It pulls the highs down, has good midrange, but has a very thrumming low end. I feel, IMO, it has better bass than the Kenrad VT-231, but the Kenrad VT-231 has very tight bass where as the Sylvania VT-231 has a bit more of a "warbly" bass, if that makes sense.

I'm still a noob tube roller so I don't feel qualified to give you a good idea on tube combos. I think steering clear of RCA for the time being and trying out Sylvania and TungSol would be your best bet. 

6SN7 Reference Thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread
^^^^^ Great place to find the pre-amp tube you are looking for. Honestly, I feel the pre-amp tube has a bit more effect on what you are hearing. There is debate on this, but the only time I can really hear the music change is when I am swapping out the 6SN7s. 

As for Power Tubes (6AS7)
RCA 6AS7G - Bit Bright and Clean 
TungSol or Sylvania 6080 - Can't go wrong, great power tubes.
TungSol 5998 - Pricey, but highly recommended by just about everyone.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,094 of 14,518

HD800S highs is already tame off but if you need to tone it down further, you could try this combo.

RCA 6SN7gt Smoke Glass with RCA 6AS7G. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-RCA-CRC-JAN-6SN7-GT-Tube-smoked-glass-Tested-Good-/252089794898?hash=item3ab1b90152:g:1S0AAOSwHjNV9MGE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6AS7G-TUBES-RCA-TOP-GETTER-BLACK-PLATES-USED-TESTED-LOC-H-2-/262791343126?hash=item3d2f95ac16:g:0KsAAOSwJQdW-t9e

RCA 6AS7G is warm with a full on mid bass. I prefer the lighter and breezier Chatham 6as7g.

If that combo is too warm and lush, switch the driver to Sylvania 6SN7gtb Chrome top.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-6SN7GTB-Sylvania-Chrome-Top-Vintage-Tubes-Reference-Plus-Grade-Best-Quality-/302186144437?hash=item465bb2a2b5:g:Gz4AAOSwhdRYWF~w

These tubes aren't too expensive. The Sylvania and Ken Rad VT231 are more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back