1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94
96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105
Next

Last
  1. dobigstuff
    Scutey:
    Just ordered a Western Electric 421A Power Tube for the Darkvoice. I will let you know how it is once I get it.

2. Scutey
    Yes would be interested to hear about that, should be a very nice addition. BTW my DV arrived today, been burning in the stock tubes, they actually sound ok with what I've been listening to, though tomorrow I should get my RCA 6as7g and the Tung Sol 6sn7gtb, looking forward to giving them a go! :)
    20170929_212330[575].jpg

3. coolcrew23
    Planning exactly the same set-up. Have the RCA 6AS7 already and waiting for the Tung Sol. :)

Scutey likes this.
  4. Scutey
    Well that's good we can do a compare, I'm hoping the tung sol and the rca arrive today, and next week, hopefully!, arriving a Chatham 6as7g, Rca 6sn7gt grey glass, Sylvania 6sn7gt grey glass and a Syl 6080wb, so I should have plenty to keep me out of mischief!.

On another note I'm experiencing the infamous DV hum, it's quite loud even stood 6 feet from the unit, however once the headphones are on and music is playing I don't hear it even in quiet passages, is this similar to others experiences?, I am intending to take out the power tube and burn in the driver, it will also be interesting to see what happens when the old stock tubes arrive.

5. coolcrew23
    This sounds awesome! Will just stick with what I have for now. Try getting the VSI 6SN7. Not as well known but it’s pretty clean sounding and has a little bass punch.

The hum just needs burning in. Take out the power tube and leave on til it’s gone.

6. dobigstuff
    Scutey:
    Once you get those NOS Tubes you should not experience that slight hum. I am dying to burn in the New Russian Tung-Sol 6SN7 because the Left to Right Balance is great but the Buzz in the left is loud. Everyone says it does go away.

7. dobigstuff
    Giving the Western Electric 421A Power a try now. Initial observations: Powerful, Deep Bass Huge Soundstage. (Will keep you posted)
    [​IMG]

Jim Spec likes this.
  8. Oskari
    This is a brand I do not know. What can you tell us about it? Can you show photos?

9. Scutey
    Not heard of that one,thanks for the recommend, I will look into it.

10. Scutey
    "Powerful. Deep Bass, is music to my ears!, certainly like the sound of the them!.

On a slightly less positive note... I got the Tung Sol today and... even louder hum that the stock Chinese tube, will try burning that (Tung Sol) in and see what happens, patience, I hope, will prevail!.

11. dobigstuff
    Scutey:
    I am now auditioning a NOS Sylvania 6SN7 for the Driver. Seems less bright and warmer than the NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7.

12. Scutey
    I have an Sylvania 6sn7 arriving early next week, hopefully, that's good to hear that it sounds warmer as that is what I was hoping for, thanks for the info, also I'm going with another of your choices for my next power tube, the Tung Sol 7236. Also the TS gtb has settled down a bit, still hums but i'm hoping it will reduce further, it's quite a fast tube, with excellent bass and good detail, don't think i'll get it's full potential until one my old stock 6as7g's arrive, hopefully then it will reveal even more sonic joy :beyersmile:.
    20170929_153829[577].jpg

13. coolcrew23
    I ordered it from a local tube dealer. Around 24USD. I will compare it first to a Tung Sol 6sn7 before i can confidently give an impression. :)

14. Scutey
    Tung Sol 6sn7gtb. Been giving it some time today, very detailed, fast,slightly cool, very good soundstage and good bass slam, so far an excellent tube.

15. Oskari
    The question is: Who made the tube? VSI (who are they?) is most likely a rebrander.

First

Back
85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94
96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105
Next

Last