Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Oct 8, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,442 of 14,501
coolcrew23:

Is that a NOS USA Tung-Sol or the newer Russian issue? Using the Russian 6SN7 you will get a loud hum/buzz in left channel of the Darkvoice. I didn't burn them in because there are so many NOS Tubes that are dead quiet.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,443 of 14,501
See below for all of the Combinations of Power and Drivers I have tried............All are dead quiet. I have settled on the WE 421A Power and Tung-Sol 6SN7 Driver.
9935322_m.jpg
9935155_m.jpg
9935123_m.jpg
9935092_m.jpg

1st Photo: NOS Western Electric 421A Power Tube and NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 Driver Tube
2nd Photo: NOS Jan Sylvania 5998 Power Tube and NOS Sylvania 6SN7 Driver Tube
3rd Photo: NOS Tung-Sol 7236 Power Tube with NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 Driver Tube
4th Photo: NOS JAN RCA 6AS7 Power Tube and NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 Driver Tube
I hope this helps.
Happy Rolling!!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,445 of 14,501
coolcrew23:

Is that a NOS USA Tung-Sol or the newer Russian issue? Using the Russian 6SN7 you will get a loud hum/buzz in left channel of the Darkvoice. I didn't burn them in because there are so many NOS Tubes that are dead quiet.

It’s the russia one. :frowning2:

So I guess this isn’t isolated. I have another one coming in. Hopefully it’s the USA one or makes no noise. My VSI 6SN7 and RCA 6AS7 was dead quiet.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,454 of 14,501
Does anyone know what are the maximum safe current draw of tubes, both in the power and driver sockets, for DV?

If you're talking about the current draw with both the power tubes and driver in their sockets with new old stock pretty much any tube set up will be exactly 60 W on the dot plus or minus a few tenths. With the factory installed Chinese tubes I was measuring roughly 53 to 54 W draw at the power cord total consumption . If you were measuring voltage is pin to pin the highest voltage is I've measured was 450 V .
If you wanted to actually know the safe voltage operating the limits of each individual tube and their current draw characteristics you can Google up the factory data sheet on each tube and the manufacture of the individual tube will give you a range of their specifications .

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,455 of 14,501
You can see my DV workhorse sitting on top of my AC line conditioners. Monster Power HTPS 7000 and Monster Power AVS 2000 because I was suffering from some AC noise coming in to my power into the building . I had a little noise coming from the drivers of some of the florescence lights and LED's I change those to a different brand with better filtering in him and in some rooms I put back old incontestant lightbulbs, and that took care of the rest of the noise. As for noise floor now you would think you were listening to a $2500 tube amp. Sitting next to it you could see my IFI micro Black Label DAC amp. I have the DAC use as a preamp into the darkVoice that really cleans up and add clarity to your source . At the same time I have my HD 650s plugged into the IFI AMP. Two people can listen at the same time with the set up or I could play around between tube in digital simultaneously listening to both sources . I have nearly 100 tubes for DarkVoice and only one hums. If you're having such problems with all your tubes humming maybe you better start looking elsewhere for the source of the noise. When you start building tube AMPs for yourself your wallet starts hurting.

ThermalAlchemy,

The hum that I mentioned has all but gone, not shure what was going on but all apart from 3 tubes out of 18 are now silent, one thing though the headphones I usually use, Beyer dt 1990 pro, are sensitive to any hum at all, a couple weeks ago I bought a pair of well used hd 650's and they seem far less sensitive to any hum, in fact no hum with those at all, which was what I was hoping for!.

I noticed in one of the pics you posted that you were using a Sylvania 6080 Gold Brand, are they any good?, as they seem to be pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back