1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107
Next

Last
  1. coolcrew23
    Been burning in my Tung Sol 6SN7 for around 95 hours now. Still a hum from the left channel. Is this normal and should I just keep going or did I get a dud?

2. dobigstuff
    coolcrew23:

Is that a NOS USA Tung-Sol or the newer Russian issue? Using the Russian 6SN7 you will get a loud hum/buzz in left channel of the Darkvoice. I didn't burn them in because there are so many NOS Tubes that are dead quiet.

3. dobigstuff
    See below for all of the Combinations of Power and Drivers I have tried............All are dead quiet. I have settled on the WE 421A Power and Tung-Sol 6SN7 Driver.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1st Photo: NOS Western Electric 421A Power Tube and NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 Driver Tube
    2nd Photo: NOS Jan Sylvania 5998 Power Tube and NOS Sylvania 6SN7 Driver Tube
    3rd Photo: NOS Tung-Sol 7236 Power Tube with NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 Driver Tube
    4th Photo: NOS JAN RCA 6AS7 Power Tube and NOS USA Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 Driver Tube
    I hope this helps.
    Happy Rolling!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    fullyreclined likes this.
  4. Jim Spec
    Did you try a 6F8G. It sounds quite good in my Darkvoice 336se. Best, JS

5. coolcrew23
    It’s the russia one. :frowning2:

So I guess this isn’t isolated. I have another one coming in. Hopefully it’s the USA one or makes no noise. My VSI 6SN7 and RCA 6AS7 was dead quiet.

6. coolcrew23
    So backread here and found out 7-8 days of burn kn would usually let the hum fade away. Will try this.

7. wkndWarrior
  8. Oskari
    No. The 6336 will fry your amp.

9. wkndWarrior
    Ok, good thing I asked then :wink:
    Do tou have any suggestion (maybe a link) to a Tungsol 5998?
    Have not been able to find any for sale...

10. Oskari
  11. wkndWarrior
  12. wkndWarrior
  13. HOWIE13
    Does anyone know what are the maximum safe current draw of tubes, both in the power and driver sockets, for DV?

14. ThermalAlchemy
    If you're talking about the current draw with both the power tubes and driver in their sockets with new old stock pretty much any tube set up will be exactly 60 W on the dot plus or minus a few tenths. With the factory installed Chinese tubes I was measuring roughly 53 to 54 W draw at the power cord total consumption . If you were measuring voltage is pin to pin the highest voltage is I've measured was 450 V .
    If you wanted to actually know the safe voltage operating the limits of each individual tube and their current draw characteristics you can Google up the factory data sheet on each tube and the manufacture of the individual tube will give you a range of their specifications .

HOWIE13 likes this.
  15. Scutey
    ThermalAlchemy,

The hum that I mentioned has all but gone, not shure what was going on but all apart from 3 tubes out of 18 are now silent, one thing though the headphones I usually use, Beyer dt 1990 pro, are sensitive to any hum at all, a couple weeks ago I bought a pair of well used hd 650's and they seem far less sensitive to any hum, in fact no hum with those at all, which was what I was hoping for!.

I noticed in one of the pics you posted that you were using a Sylvania 6080 Gold Brand, are they any good?, as they seem to be pretty cheap.

First

Back
87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107
Next

Last