Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jul 29, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #11,146 of 14,543
6DJ8s - its funny if they tell you that older bugle boys are that much better insofar that they were developed in the very late 50s, so it's got a shorter age span. Though i'm sure the differences in construction among the brands become a big differentiator. When I used to roll 6DJ8/6922, while there were differences between the orange globe, bugle boy, and PQ types - nothing super huge in terms of SQ differences to me.

Me neither. 99% of the time "30s-early 50s" top "late 50s-80s" as far as most everything i've read for comparisons. I can understand this though as manufacturing and demand over time changes. Now, one of the tubes that nearly continues the similar quality throughout its lifecycle course to me is the Tung-Sol to Cetron 7236. I couldn't tell the difference between the two albeit the tube being a power tube for the DV.

Off-topic post o the day: @bcowen spotted shopping at Walmart.
yu597u7ba0d71.jpg
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #11,147 of 14,543
Off-topic post o the day: @bcowen spotted shopping at Walmart.
yu597u7ba0d71.jpg
ROFL! Very fitting that was spotted at Wal Mart. :laughing:

The RX-8 is fun because it handles so well with the small and (comparatively) lightweight engine mounted very low in the chassis. It has satisfying acceleration, but isn't a speedster or even what I'd consider to be a "fast" car in that regard. Kill the handling and you've killed its entire character and purpose. I'm guessing a dump truck handles better than that abomination. Or a minivan. :smile:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #11,148 of 14,543

The RX-8 is fun because it handles so well with the small and (comparatively) lightweight engine mounted very low in the chassis. It has satisfying acceleration, but isn't a speedster or even what I'd consider to be a "fast" car in that regard. Kill the handling and you've killed its entire character and purpose. I'm guessing a dump truck handles better than that abomination. Or a minivan. :smile:
A school friend had a new RX-8. The triangle blew at about 35k.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #11,149 of 14,543

I always thought it was a bit of a head-scratcher that Mazda never stuffed the rotary into a Miata

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #11,150 of 14,543
I always thought it was a bit of a head-scratcher that Mazda never stuffed the rotary into a Miata
While they are a blast to drive - its not consumer friendly with the extremely poor emissions and fuel economy and difficult maintenance. Though I think they conversion kits that you could put a 13b into a Miata. I think the challenge was always with the required chassis mods needed to put it in.

But yeah - they are super awesome to drive. I had the opportunity to drive (a mechanic/friend's) RX-7 FD years ago, and it was one of the best driving experiences I've had.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #11,151 of 14,543
Well, i'm trying to keep it Apples to Apples comparison. So as far as NOS tubes go. LOL. I know new production tubes like PSVANE will hold their own, and EH/New-Sensor are hit or mess miss depending. LOL
In fact out of all new production tubes, probably the PSVANE are the only tubes which are worth considering compared to NOS

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #11,152 of 14,543
Jul 30, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #11,153 of 14,543
Yeah, only 1 model I believe they produced with a rotary engine and they stopped after coz of maintenance cost. Probably @bcowen have this model somewhere in his backyard 🙂🙂

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #11,154 of 14,543
Strange thing that @bcowen Mazda is being discussed without @Paladin79 commenting, probably on a Melz open season in mother Russia 🤣🤣🤣

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #11,155 of 14,543
Strange thing that @bcowen Mazda is being discussed without @Paladin79 commenting, probably on a Melz open season in mother Russia 🤣🤣🤣
Lol I drive a CX5 and gave my son a red RX7 when he turned 16, rotary engine of course. 😜
I am busy with rental property today. August 1 is the beginning of the season here for college students so all must be well for three young women I will be leasing a house to. I rent to grad students mostly; far less likely to party like 18 and 19 year olds.🥳🥳🥳

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #11,156 of 14,543
Lol I drive a CX5 and gave my son a red RX7 when he turned 16, rotary engine of course. 😜
I am busy with rental property today. August 1 is the beginning of the season here for college students so all must be well for three young women I will be leasing a house to. I rent to grad students mostly; far less likely to party like 18 and 19 year olds.🥳🥳🥳

The Grads still party. But they definitely have graduated from cheap beer and red solo cups to more refined tastes at that point!

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #11,157 of 14,543
The Grads still party. But they definitely have graduated from cheap beer and red solo cups to more refined tastes at that point!
Oh I know lol. I bought the contents of a bar a few years back and gave cases of the cheap stuff to renters. The older renters were more selective.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #11,158 of 14,543
Jul 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #11,159 of 14,543
While they are a blast to drive - its not consumer friendly with the extremely poor emissions and fuel economy and difficult maintenance. Though I think they conversion kits that you could put a 13b into a Miata. I think the challenge was always with the required chassis mods needed to put it in.

But yeah - they are super awesome to drive. I had the opportunity to drive (a mechanic/friend's) RX-7 FD years ago, and it was one of the best driving experiences I've had.
The only Mazda I've drove was a Protege5. I liked it. Fun little car. Just needed a turbo.
That said, in full disclosure, I am a Z car guy. 240Z FTW!

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #11,160 of 14,543
I like driving.. but I don’t like payments. I’ve driven my 2006 Hyundai Sonata for a decade now. It’s never given me a problem or a sudden visit the a garage. Although I do the maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back