Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #4,711 of 14,501
Well I guess now I know the VT-99 can have both styles of getters as mine is the open square and my regular model has the dimple foil square. I know from previously talking that your VT-99 has the dimpled square foil.

VT-99:

Std:
I don't know what I was on last night.. it wasn't the RCA I was rolling with it, it was the Chatham 6as7g.. laid back with some air depth with that combo, not as complete as the NU but still enjoyable.. If I find a square getter version might just grab it, for collectors. And hoping that dual GEc works out.. fingers crossed.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #4,712 of 14,501
Well bummer. That bright white glow you saw before re-soldering was a pretty good indication of oxygen contamination (from a vacuum leak). Just theorizing here, but short of the glass being broken somewhere, that leak could only come from where the lead wires exit the bottom of the glass. While heating the pins (within reason) shouldn't affect the glass seal on a good tube, if the seal was already compromised around one of those lead wires, perhaps the heat of soldering was enough to disturb it just enough more to cause a total loss of vacuum much more rapidly.

Sorry about your lost tube, but on the bright side your pin soldering looks very nice! :smile:
Yeah that’s what I think too. it wasn’t just a brighter filament glow like what my RCA has. It was either the plate or filament looking bright white, so I assumed extreme temps and quickly shut it off. I have read that a white glow is due to oxygen but I didn’t remember fully. Soldering after that point likely just made it worse or did nothing at all

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #4,713 of 14,501
Got to be honest here. I find the stock tubes fairy good for my preferences. I'll take musical over sterile/detailed any day of the week. I just got the amp and it I'll burn it in for a day then swap to my other set of tubes. I'm sure they are better, but I'll bet many find this very listenable.

Using Sennheiser HD6XX. Yeah if you own these headphones just buy the DV. Great synergy here.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #4,714 of 14,501
My Mullard shines like a lamp. Later I will put a picture of him access here.

There's a big difference between a bright orange glow (which comes from the filaments) and a white glow, which indicates a much hotter temp on those filaments and is usually indicative of gas contamination (due to some degree of vacuum loss). My Mullard 6080 glows very brightly too (much more so than any other 6080 I have), but it's a bright orange glow.

1605976045448.png

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #4,715 of 14,501
Yeah that’s what I think too. it wasn’t just a brighter filament glow like what my RCA has. It was either the plate or filament looking bright white, so I assumed extreme temps and quickly shut it off. I have read that a white glow is due to oxygen but I didn’t remember fully. Soldering after that point likely just made it worse or did nothing at all
The sucker I'm using Is handy but gets stuck at the tip often with the old solder, might have to grab what you guys are using after all. I think I have one but it might be a rebranded one, will have to check, does the solder get stuck at the tip on what you guys are using?

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #4,716 of 14,501
Got to be honest here. I find the stock tubes fairy good for my preferences. I'll take musical over sterile/detailed any day of the week. I just got the amp and it I'll burn it in for a day then swap to my other set of tubes. I'm sure they are better, but I'll bet many find this very listenable.

Using Sennheiser HD6XX. Yeah if you own these headphones just buy the DV. Great synergy here.
What are your other set of tubes, got pics?

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #4,717 of 14,501
yes!! Trip out in the Mullard 5692.... is it fake?

LOL! I seriously doubt Mullard ever made a 5692, and the tube pictured is NOT a 5692 (with additional support rods and micas) regardless of who made it. The 5692 was a US designation initiated by RCA. I have Sylvania branded 5692's that are identical internally to the RCA (so guess who made them), and CBS/Hytrons that are different than either of those. Can't say for sure they were made by CBS/Hytron, but they don't appear to have been made by RCA.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #4,718 of 14,501
The sucker I'm using Is handy but gets stuck at the tip often with the old solder, might have to grab what you guys are using after all. I think I have one but it might be a rebranded one, will have to check, does the solder get stuck at the tip on what you guys are using?

Not with the Soldapullt. Resetting the plunger pushes all the old solder out. I hate to say "I told you so," but I *did* tell you so. LOL!! :smile:

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,719 of 14,501
I don't know what I was on last night.. it wasn't the RCA I was rolling with it, it was the Chatham 6as7g.. laid back with some air depth with that combo, not as complete as the NU but still enjoyable.. If I find a square getter version might just grab it, for collectors. And hoping that dual GEc works out.. fingers crossed.
Haha yeah okay. I was running the RCA and the Raytheon and wasn’t so much feeling it. Now it makes sense. I wish I didn’t pass up on all of those $40 Chatham’s!! But soon enough I’ll find one again. I just refuse to pay $$$. I feel like one person manipulated the market.

I’ll keep my eyes open for the open getter version and send it your way

Adapter ordered this am. Can’t wait to try them out in about 2-3 weeks,

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #4,720 of 14,501
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #4,721 of 14,501
Haha yeah okay. I was running the RCA and the Raytheon and wasn’t so much feeling it. Now it makes sense. I wish I didn’t pass up on all of those $40 Chatham’s!! But soon enough I’ll find one again. I just refuse to pay $$$. I feel like one person manipulated the market.

I’ll keep my eyes open for the open getter version and send it your way

Adapter ordered this am. Can’t wait to try them out in about 2-3 weeks,
They did with the 5998 in the title.. and.. if anybody can sniff out a killer deal it's you my friend..I don't know how you do it! (I got mine for $30 delivered :p)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #4,722 of 14,501
Yeah its common with glass but found it odd that it's the only tube I own that does it. @Deyan will hopefully make me another adapter for the A2293s to match the one he made for the 6j5s.

these are supposed to sound similar to a gec 6080 mixed with a 6as7g. i am determined to hear it on the darkvoice.. i think it will work out.

@therremans we will have to compare notes on this. Deyan made me an adapter for the A2293s as well. I just got my tubes in, waiting on the adapter. we gotta let our pal shimacm know if this is a GO or not. I can't ever see myself buying a GEC 6AS7G any time soon, so down the rabbit hole we go...

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #4,723 of 14,501
Is that the one with the silicone tip? I thought it was genius until I read these issues in the comments and abandoned ship, then paladin linked that one. Maybe you can return it to Amazon?

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #4,724 of 14,501
Is that the one with the silicone tip? I thought it was genius until I read these issues in the comments and abandoned ship, then paladin linked that one. Maybe you can return it to Amazon?
yes the silicone tip, I like the one handed use, and it has great suction power, just have to clear the solder form the tip often, if my iron was hotter I probably wouldnt have this hiccup. The solder solidifies on exit quickly, see if I can get a pic of the pieces I pulled out last night

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #4,725 of 14,501

To be fair, the stocks sounded pretty solid in their on right. As you explore with other tubes, you will find it only gets better. My only qualms with the stock, (just my own experience with them) is that they didn't last long and crapped out on me. And I had bought extra of those same stock tubes, only the same conclusion - its just cheap quality in my opinion. Now if you try PSVANE tubes -- very very good Chinese made tubes where new production is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back