Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,342 of 14,511
Sep 8, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,343 of 14,511
Found a pair of Fankentubes! if the hype is true (below)...so stoked. This from Bcowen

https://www.head-fi.org/members/bcowen.489394/

"Powerful bass, dynamic and punchy, a midrange that's *just* right, beautiful treble, the rhythmic drive of a Foton. But there are two things that are remarkable with this tube: imaging (or maybe soundstaging) that locates each performer or instrument in its own acoustic space. You can pick out the individual voice in a chorus and the 3rd violin from center in an orchestra. And you hear the space surrounding them. I haven't heard this space-reality thing with headphones before. Not even close. And then there's the tone. Holy friggin' crap. Tone. The depth of harmonics and the full fleshing out of every resonance and micro-detail in the note. If you're a rocker or metalhead and love the sound of an electric guitar or bass, you'll turn into one great big goosebump with this tube in the Lyr. I even listened to some jazz...and liked it. That's never happened before either. I rarely gush on a tube because a lot has to do with personal preference and system synergy, so I won't gush over this one. I'll just say that even after several reality checks swapping a Foton or WH D back in for comparisons that the Frankentube is now my personal reference and owns the #1 spot by a pretty wide margin".

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-3-tube-rolling-thread.876016/page-84#post-14447101

And hoping it plays well with the Darkvoice, I'll chime in with thoughts on the tube.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,344 of 14,511
Great minds think alike, hehe. Yeah, a more relaxed, warmer sound (slightly less treble) than the NU 6F8G round plates with the traditional Sylvania emphasis on the mids. Still, I typically love Sylvania tubes and the Sylvania VT-99 is no exception, a wonderful tube imo. With the RCA 6AS7G silver lettering/black plates, the soundstage and imaging are pretty awesome. Some observations on this tube (and others):

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/tubes/221750/6f8g-vt99-observations
http://www.tubemaze.info/sylvania-6f8gvt-99-t-plates/

Senn - I wanted to thank you for linking to the observations and with writing up about these. I gave both the 6f8g and 6c8g tubes a go and I wanted to add that between you and what was mentioned in the links seem to be par for the course for what these brands bring to the table in terms of sound. There is not much information out there (sound impressions wise) about these, these are a good starting point for what you have posted. I'm currently running the RCA 6F8G as my current all around-er right now - it is really really good. This is the kind of sound I am after. Thank you so much.

rca6f8g.jpg

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #2,345 of 14,511
Found a pair of Fankentubes! if the hype is true (below)...so stoked. This from Bcowen

https://www.head-fi.org/members/bcowen.489394/

"Powerful bass, dynamic and punchy, a midrange that's *just* right, beautiful treble, the rhythmic drive of a Foton. But there are two things that are remarkable with this tube: imaging (or maybe soundstaging) that locates each performer or instrument in its own acoustic space. You can pick out the individual voice in a chorus and the 3rd violin from center in an orchestra. And you hear the space surrounding them. I haven't heard this space-reality thing with headphones before. Not even close. And then there's the tone. Holy friggin' crap. Tone. The depth of harmonics and the full fleshing out of every resonance and micro-detail in the note. If you're a rocker or metalhead and love the sound of an electric guitar or bass, you'll turn into one great big goosebump with this tube in the Lyr. I even listened to some jazz...and liked it. That's never happened before either. I rarely gush on a tube because a lot has to do with personal preference and system synergy, so I won't gush over this one. I'll just say that even after several reality checks swapping a Foton or WH D back in for comparisons that the Frankentube is now my personal reference and owns the #1 spot by a pretty wide margin".

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-3-tube-rolling-thread.876016/page-84#post-14447101

And hoping it plays well with the Darkvoice, I'll chime in with thoughts on the tube.

Hey - saw what happened on the other thread - were you planning on running the 7N7s with a dual adapter?

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #2,346 of 14,511
Hey - saw what happened on the other thread - were you planning on running the 7N7s with a dual adapter?
No, not needed for the 6SN7 slot. (was hoping the pair were two Franken tubes but just the one qualifys) but you do need an adapter for the 7N7.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #2,347 of 14,511
No, not needed for the 6SN7 slot. (was hoping the pair were two Franken tubes but just the one qualifys) but you do need an adapter for the 7N7.

Yeah i saw the pics. What a bummer. Hope your luck gets better with the incoming ones!

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #2,348 of 14,511
Yeah i saw the pics. What a bummer. Hope your luck gets better with the incoming ones!
lol...the life of a high roller.., seems like one of them is a keeper (the Franken founder just confirmed). The other tube coming in is a GE short bottle, so I think I'm gonna hold off on getting anymore 7N7s till the adapter comes in (or will try not to anyway...), Tubes play differently on different amps so not popping any champagne tonight.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #2,352 of 14,511
Adapter in.... Rolling begins..... 7N7 sounds pretty good. Healing by Groove Armada slams hard. Seems to be a good mix (Philco 7N7) with Tung Sol 7236. So here's the weird thing, just from this quick rolling session, the GE sounds better to my ears. Same bass slam but cleaner up top in the mid highs... I was told this would be opposite between the tall and small 7N7 tubes. And oh wow...the ugliest tube here, the JAN Sylvania... Winner, lol, yeah I'm tube rolling live here folks, :D
Soon as I hit play...I jumped, what da heck!? So this is just my initial quick hit n run rolling session, see how these guys settle down.
Edit: The one thing that stands out the most with the 7N7 tubes collectively ..is the HUGE headroom space, especially with MASTER recordings (Tidal) edit: the space gets larger with the new Amazon HD Player :)
IMG_20190916_201033.jpgIMG_20190916_202952.jpgIMG_20190916_204841.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #2,353 of 14,511
Senn - I wanted to thank you for linking to the observations and with writing up about these. I gave both the 6f8g and 6c8g tubes a go and I wanted to add that between you and what was mentioned in the links seem to be par for the course for what these brands bring to the table in terms of sound. There is not much information out there (sound impressions wise) about these, these are a good starting point for what you have posted. I'm currently running the RCA 6F8G as my current all around-er right now - it is really really good. This is the kind of sound I am after. Thank you so much.
Hey, no problems. I'm happy to share what I'm able to dig up since I'm learning just like the rest of you guys; I started on my tube journey this past March with the purchase of my Darkvoice. Yes, I have to agree that the RCA 6F8G is a really, really nice tube and is pretty affordable right now. Except for the VT-99 round plate Tung-Sols, the 6F8G's are really good bangs for your buck.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,354 of 14,511
Hey, no problems. I'm happy to share what I'm able to dig up since I'm learning just like the rest of you guys; I started on my tube journey this past March with the purchase of my Darkvoice. Yes, I have to agree that the RCA 6F8G is a really, really nice tube and is pretty affordable right now. Except for the VT-99 round plate Tung-Sols, the 6F8G's are really good bangs for your buck.

I had gotten a Radiocoin 6F8G - which also has really awesome sound. There is not much information on this brand - but I did read somewhere here that this could be re-branded TungSol 6F8G. Do you or anyone have any information to verify that, or how could you tell if this is really the case?

radiocoin.jpg

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #2,355 of 14,511

Users who are viewing this thread

Back