1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168
Next

Last
  1. wwmhf
    Without tubes, this is very off topic, but good information! Thanks

2. wwmhf
    It looks like that you have some good stuffs like those 7N7 with a lot chrome.

3. JKDJedi
    Thanks, the last tube surprised me the most, the Headphonenus Supremeus guys are telling me they're all Sylvanias. And when I get a new tube in I always swear it's the next best thing since ice cream, so usually takes a week for me to settle in how they really sound, if that makes sense. I will say this, it's very rare to find a bad Sylvania tube, very rare, and these sound really good, was told by that Tyco Dogg guy on YouTube to look out for them a few months back but really didn't pay attention to that much, until I read the post about the Franken tube.

sennfan83261 likes this.
  4. JKDJedi
    Hows the radiocoin compare to your other tube?

5. Slade01
    Primarily - the RCA is warmer, and more laid back sounding, smooth - awesome for vocals. Slower bass. Very nice wide sound stage, and definitely not fatiguing. The Radiocoin is not warmer, but more crisp, cleaner, has more attack but not in a fatiguing way. Bass is faster/tighter. Radiocoin has more that sparkle sound - more holographic with a touch better in detail retrieval.

JKDJedi likes this.
  6. JKDJedi
    Rolling a fattie this weekend ... Stoked. #BadBoys #Sylvania
    IMG_20190920_164917.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. JKDJedi
    I just had an Epiphany.... The Sylvania 6080 & Sylvania 7236 are the same tube!! They're almost carbon copy on build and sound... smh wow...

8. wwmhf
    Some Sylvania 7236 are not 7236 at all

9. JKDJedi
    Sunday Rolling (yeah I missed the games)

A quick summary...

(Rolled with WINGED "C" 6H13C / 6AS7G)

(Fedelio X2 headphones)

A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead

( Streamed off Amazon HD Player)

Sylvania Chrome Dome 6SN7GT 1948

"Sweet vocals, lovely low sub bass, with just the right amount of highs. Nice warm tube".

Sylvania JAN-CHS 6SN7GT 1952

"Vocals are transparent (readily understood).. bass almost on par to the Chrome Domes with a touch more control".

Tung Sol "Tall Boy" 6SN7GTB HR3? (Date Unknown..u tell me!)

"Nice stage presence, great balance between left right and middle channels".

Philco Loctal 7N7 1950

"Large headroom, realistic vocals, bass guitar sublime. Great instrument separation, nice clang to the cymbals".

Thoughts: The one tube that really surprised me was the Tung Sol, I didn't think it would hold up like it did in this comparison group, I won't say which one was my favorite, (you can tell in the descriptions).

2019-09-22 19.33.07-1.jpg

volly, sennfan83261 and Slade01 like this.
  10. Slade01
    Is that Philco 7N7 the Frankie? How did the regular run of the mill 7N7s sound?

11. JKDJedi
    Yes, it's the Frankie, and the others were not to far behind it, minor differences, in fact I liked them at first over the Frankie, only the monster is slowly growing on me, the GE short bottle 7N7 (which I'm told is really a Sylvania) sounds really good, you can find them about $13 o(NOS)or less used, there's a group of three loctal tubes, one of them a 7n7, on sale at eBay for $3, not bad if you just want a taste of 7N7.

Slade01 likes this.
  12. Slade01
    Will have to think about it -- its very tempting. This hobby - y'all gonna make me broke. Lol. This amp is on hiatus right now as it burns in a Ken-Rad 6C8G tube right now. It's got a wicked left channel hum right now. It's crazy as i'm still trying to learn about the tube construction/components. I can say for the first time, I definitively see actual "round plates" with this one being a clear top. Even with the hum - the music was sounding really lively and fun. I see a lot of promise in this one.

kenrad6c8g.jpg

sennfan83261 likes this.
  13. JKDJedi
    Beautiful, please chime in with your thoughts on that tube, been watching one for a few days.

14. Slade01
    I certainly will. In the meantime, because impressions are few and far inbetween - I have this cached saved from tubemaze.com on this very tube. I'll see if I agree with them or not....

(tubemaze.com - ken-rad 6C8G review) -- "Nice! Another winner from Ken-Rad. Reminds me of their 5814 tube, but with bigger soundstage. Other properties, push this tube outside of the usual suspects – creamy sound, huge sound stage, superb transparency and absolutely fantastic mids, and bass, bass and more bass. The one that I have is the military version of the tube and VT-163 and it truly shows in the amount of details. The sound is very different compared to my other favorite RCA 6C8G – but where RCA wins in delicacy, Ken-Rad wins in presence. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    JKDJedi likes this.
  15. cddc
    Need some clarification here...LOL...can you post some pics on real Sylvania 7236 and fake Sylvania 7236? Just curious to know. :)Thanks a lot!

First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168
Next

Last