Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,281 of 14,501
Thanks I'll take a look.

This thread can be a little intimidating for someone like me who has no idea about tube rolling or the intricacies involved. I'm not even really sure where to buy from or if the prices are fair. Just trying to get a grasp and not lose myself in the process, definitely don't want to end up getting hooked and spend a fortune on these things lol
Understandable, most tube purchases are done through ebay.com. If you have any questions about a particular tube or vendor just ask. Someone will answer your question.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,282 of 14,501
Understandable, most tube purchases are done through ebay.com. If you have any questions about a particular tube or vendor just ask. Someone will answer your question.

I would offer a bit of caution on tubes from eBay. I prefer to use reputable tube vendors, like Vivatubes.com, tubemonger.com, Tubedepot.com and Upscaleaudio.com.
Some eBay ads say, "Tests Good" some don't even say that. We don't know whether they have a calibrated tester, or they just light up when under power. A bad-testing tube can damage your amplifier.

I have bought tubes from eBay, and 'knock on wood' I have been lucky. Just be careful, out there, it is the Wild West...

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,283 of 14,501
I would offer a bit of caution on tubes from eBay. I prefer to use reputable tube vendors, like Vivatubes.com, tubemonger.com, Tubedepot.com and Upscaleaudio.com.
Some eBay ads say, "Tests Good" some don't even say that. We don't know whether they have a calibrated tester, or they just light up when under power. A bad-testing tube can damage your amplifier.

I have bought tubes from eBay, and 'knock on wood' I have been lucky. Just be careful, out there, it is the Wild West...
Ebay has gotten a lot better on their return policy's, they also have a eBay Money Back Guaranty. I've only had to use it a couple of times (last 20 years) and it's straight forward with help along the process. And yes you can land a baddy as well as a goodie, once you find a reputable seller on eBAy you can find some gold hidden. Do your RESEARCH!! Lot of threads here that can help in your buying excursions. The venders mentioned here Vivatubes, Tubemonger, Tubedepot, will land you a for sure winner, no if's and's or but's...

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,284 of 14,501
I

I've been using the Tung-Sol 7236 and Tung-Sol 6sn7gt mouse ears to great effect. But you'll also find people like th= rca grey glass 6sn7gt as well. There's a whole bunch of tube rolling info in the posts just prior to this one.
I'm about to purchase a pair of these Tung Sol Mouse Ear tubes, 1950 black T Plates. Tested strong, only need one, anyone interested in the other pm me. This from Tube Maze..

" I was taken away by the sound stage and air of the tube. It’s truly unique in 6sn7 family. Air is in everything, vocals, instruments, etc. It truly shined in life performances bringing the performance right into your room! Superb bass (a bit heavy for my taste and caries over to mid-bass) and transparency, and did I mention the air?!?!?! These tubes are getting harder to get, but get it you must! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,285 of 14,501
I'm about to purchase a pair of these Tung Sol Mouse Ear tubes, 1950 black T Plates. Tested strong, only need one, anyone interested in the other pm me. This from Tube Maze..

" I was taken away by the sound stage and air of the tube. It’s truly unique in 6sn7 family. Air is in everything, vocals, instruments, etc. It truly shined in life performances bringing the performance right into your room! Superb bass (a bit heavy for my taste and caries over to mid-bass) and transparency, and did I mention the air?!?!?! These tubes are getting harder to get, but get it you must! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"
Those black plates are supposed to be great, good score!

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,286 of 14,501

I have a Black plate with three holes mouse-ears, these are early production and fairly rare. The majority of Mousers out there are gray two-hole and labelledTung-Sol. Mine was a Hytron dated 1953.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #2,287 of 14,501
I'm amazed that so many put up with the volume control as supplied. (1) The easy/lazy way to have at least a reasonable volume range is to attenuate the pot's output by using appropriate resistors before the pot see www.goldpt.com/mods.html. (2) Remove the pot (really easy) and sub with a standard Alps Blue 50K shunted with Z foils see www.world-designs/forum, look for the FAQ forum and 'shunting the pot. (3) just remove the existing pot and use an external volume control like - Stereo Coffee.

Whatever type of h/phones you use up rating the o/put caps from 30uF per side will give a real solid bass to the overall sound. Removing the PCB to do this is easy enough but it's hard to replace because the Tx wires are so short. Much simpler is to destroy the existing Chinese caps but making damn sure you leave the very thin legs intact. You can then solder new caps to these with no degradation in sound as long as your nifty with a soldering iron.

The only effective way to remove the hum is the Fitz/Pink Floyd way. These 3 mods elevate the DV to an entirely new level.
I have to agree. The OEM volume pot, despite having a smooth feel, needs to be modded due to the headphone output's listenable volume range being both far too narrow and low (especially w/ the Fitz mod). I read somewhere else that this was probably due to allowing enough headroom for the DV336 to serve as a preamp. Thanks for the references though, as I remember seeing the link in (1) for adding resistors before. I wonder if a straight swap with a 100K Alps Blue Velvet (log and loudness taps) would suffice.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,288 of 14,501
Okay so I just bought a Tung-Sol 7236 from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/223614201789) Seemed like a pretty good price to me (is it?) and looked legit, seller has 100% feedback too. Now I'm about to buy a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-6sn7gt-new-production-preamp-vacuum-tube) and on the side when adding to cart they have options for extra money (balanced triodes, high gain, low noise & microphonics) what does this stuff mean? Should I just ignore? so lost right now haha

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #2,289 of 14,501
I have a Black plate with three holes mouse-ears, these a
Okay so I just bought a Tung-Sol 7236 from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/223614201789) Seemed like a pretty good price to me (is it?) and looked legit, seller has 100% feedback too. Now I'm about to buy a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-6sn7gt-new-production-preamp-vacuum-tube) and on the side when adding to cart they have options for extra money (balanced triodes, high gain, low noise & microphonics) what does this stuff mean? Should I just ignore? so lost right now haha
Tung Sol 7236 can be found cheaper on auctions (when they have them) and usually go for the price that's listed there on the link you posted. Looks legit. And as far as the Tun Sol 6sn7gtb, the first one is for matching tubes, your just buying one so not needed and the other two options are picks of the crop, BEST OF the batch, not needed, I have this tube sounds good after some burn in. Although you might or should consider getting the Real Deal Holyfield vesrion of that tube here---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNG-SOL-6...121330?hash=item3fc8a3db32:g:IccAAOSww69dQDbc

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #2,290 of 14,501
These guys are lot nicer to look at in person, looks like a mini me 6AS7 :D

Sylvania 6F8G VT-99
2019-08-12 16.55.44.jpg 2019-08-12 16.54.25-2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #2,291 of 14,501
These guys are lot nicer to look at in person, looks like a mini me 6AS7 :D

Sylvania 6F8G VT-99
Funny, I purchased a Sylvania VT-99 last week myself :grin:

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #2,293 of 14,501
Hello!

I recently got a Darkvoice 336 se and will be getting a pair of HD 6xx’s to pair with it. Do you guys have some recommendations for some new tubes? I’d preferably like to keep the total cost under $75 if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2,294 of 14,501
Hello!

I recently got a Darkvoice 336 se and will be getting a pair of HD 6xx’s to pair with it. Do you guys have some recommendations for some new tubes? I’d preferably like to keep the total cost under $75 if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Tung Sol or Sylvania 7236 for the back (6AS7 slot), and any 1950-58 Sylvania or Tung-Sol 6SN7GT for the front. You can not go wrong with either combo for starters.

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,295 of 14,501
Tung Sol or Sylvania 7236 for the back (6AS7 slot), and any 1950-58 Sylvania or Tung-Sol 6SN7GT for the front. You can not go wrong with either combo for starters.
Haha, I was going to write the same thing except that I would add the RCA 6AS7G (coke bottle) tubes to your recommendation list because they provide a warmer and slightly wider sound. However, the more impactful Tung-Sol 7236 is the best bang for your buck as power tubes go despite them going up in price recently (some price them at $45 whereas before they typically went for ~$35).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back