Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #2,251 of 14,509
You are absolutely right. Doing some digging, the designation only means it was military issue but same exact construction. I guess the audiofool in me is wanting to ascribe a little more magic to those kinds of tubes. But yeah, I mean most people rave about them so its hard to believe they could suck but anything is possible.
They have nostalgic value so there's that, and remember these are in the 40's and a decade later, maybe the tube tech got better? Anyway, In fairness to GGILLIES review, he's not the first to review them as such. Sylvanias VT-231 are bettered by the bad boys the same. To find a VT-231 that still shines to this day will be a three figure buy, some debate it's the round plates Tung Sol.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #2,252 of 14,509
Trying out my my recent acquisitions, National Union 6F8G and Sylvania 7236:

PCPro3ol.jpg

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #2,253 of 14,509
Trying out my my recent acquisitions, National Union 6F8G and Sylvania 7236:

PCPro3ol.jpg
DUDE! So Clean! The wire adapter is for? I've seen this in my coworkers old tubed radio (1937) he has in his Bomber Lowrider, He won't let me pull the tubes out..lol. (it doesnt work and all dusted) But your set up looks Righteous!! :beerchug::)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,254 of 14,509
DUDE! So Clean! The wire adapter is for? I've seen this in my coworkers old tubed radio (1937) he has in his Bomber Lowrider, He won't let me pull the tubes out..lol. (it doesnt work and all dusted) But your set up looks Righteous!! :beerchug::)
It is a 6F8G/6C8G to 6SN7 adapter to allow one to use 6F8G (also designated as VT-99) and 6C8G tubes in their 6SN7 socket* (search for "6f8g 6c8g 6sn7 adapter" on ebay, without quotes). The wire is topped by a plate cap that connects to a triode grid (see spec sheet below). Do note that 6C8G tubes have close to double the amplification factor to 6SN7/6F8G tubes, so the 6C8G will be louder than the other two. This will be a factor for those like me who did the Fitz-mod on their Darkvoice amps. Brownstd here on head-fi turned me onto them here (see also that user's massdrop post below for more of their recommendations): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dar...erolling-partii.348833/page-136#post-14874572

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0423.htm
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6f8g.html
https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se/talk/2391797

*As tempting it may be, please do not use 6F8G/6C8G tubes as a drop-in replacement for power tubes like 421A/5998/6080/6AS7G/7236/etc. I just saw post on the Bottlehead forums from someone who did just that, smh.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,255 of 14,509
It is a 6F8G/6C8G to 6SN7 adapter to allow one to use 6F8G (also designated as VT-99) and 6C8G tubes in their 6SN7 socket* (search for "6f8g 6c8g 6sn7 adapter" on ebay, without quotes). The wire is topped by a plate cap that connects to a triode grid (see spec sheet below). Do note that 6C8G tubes have close to double the amplification factor than 6SN7/6F8G, so the 6C8G will be louder than the other two. This will be a factor for those like me who did the Fitz-mod on their Darkvoice amps. Brownstd here on head-fi turned me onto them here (see also that user's massdrop post below for more of their recommendations): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dar...erolling-partii.348833/page-136#post-14874572

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0423.htm
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6f8g.html
https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se/talk/2391797

*As tempting it may be, please do not use 6F8G/6C8G tubes as a drop-in replacement for power tubes like 421A/5998/6080/6AS7G/7236/etc. I just saw post on the Bottlehead forums from someone who did just this, smh.
Talk about talking pieces... This is it! So these came out before the 6SN7. What's your in intial impression on sound?@sennfan83261 did a quick search on the tubes mentioned and wow...holy price crunch... These are highly sought after!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #2,259 of 14,509
Talk about talking pieces... This is it! So these came out before the 6SN7. What's your in intial impression on sound?@sennfan83261 did a quick search on the tubes mentioned and wow...holy price crunch... These are highly sought after!
I only have two 6F8G's at the moment (National Union and an RCA grey glass) and many more 6C8G's. Listening to the combo below (National Union 6F8G + RCA 6AS7G) on my HD6XX, the vocals on Mandolin Orange's "From Now On" (YT link) are still very sweet, kick drums on Maison Neuve's "Victor" (YT) still have a nice thump, and sub-bass is still present on Spacetime Continuum's "Kairo" (YT, 5 minutes in), extremely close to that from my THX AAA 789 (SE output, Gain II), while presenting the characteristic tube sound for these cans [note: my sources of the above are CD FLAC]. As someone mentioned on the 6SN7 reference thread, the National Union tubes therein were more liquid than lush, which sounds about right with this National Union 6F8G when comes to its overall presentation (NB: I don't have any NU tubes mentioned in that 6SN7 thread to compare against, sorry). Anyways, I'm glad that I jumped in and grabbed one at a reasonable price, as NOS pairs of these go for >$100. As brownstd mentioned in their massdrop post, the cat is out of the bag for 6F8G's these days. :triportsad:

fRLri0rl.jpg

rr2F455l.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #2,262 of 14,509
LMAO how and what are you using that has EQs on it!!:dt880smile:

So I was playing around between two power tubes - an RCA JAN 6AS7G, and the famous Tung Sol 7236 which I got recently, and figured I needed these as the cornerstones. I've only owned a Sylvania 6080 and Svetlana Winged Cs up to this point. So I was continuing where I left off with the CBS 6SN7GTB from my previous posts -- so far its sounding as good as the Westinghouse Reliatron. I'm not surprised at this, since the construction seems to be virtually identical. But I haven't dug around to see if they are made the same tube and just re-branded or not. Aside from this, got a GE 6SN7GTB ('64) which I'm burning in and hope to put in some time with that also.

20190806_183534.jpg 20190806_183828.jpg 20190806_183705.jpg

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,263 of 14,509
So I was playing around between two power tubes - an RCA JAN 6AS7G, and the famous Tung Sol 7236 which I got recently, and figured I needed these as the cornerstones. I've only owned a Sylvania 6080 and Svetlana Winged Cs up to this point. So I was continuing where I left off with the CBS 6SN7GTB from my previous posts -- so far its sounding as good as the Westinghouse Reliatron. I'm not surprised at this, since the construction seems to be virtually identical. But I haven't dug around to see if they are made the same tube and just re-branded or not. Aside from this, got a GE 6SN7GTB ('64) which I'm burning in and hope to put in some time with that also.

Nice group of tubes there, and heck yeah if that sounds like the Westinghouse ..huge SCORE! JAN RCA looks sick, (meaning awesome) and GTB are among my favorites, super quick warm up time on those. Seems like the Tung Sol 7236 is this threads favorite power tube! I got a few tubes in and just one more later next week, and thats it for me for a few months.. (why don't I believe myself) first batch not to impressed with SENN warned me about them, hate it when he's right, :D dam Sylvania WGTA, problem is they're the 60's batch.. 50's are better is what I read, to forward for my tastes, your the one that got me interested in these GTA and GTB tubes..lol, not blaming you. So the one that just came in today is really beautiful and hope it sounds as good. 1955 Raytheon WGT.
2019-08-06 20.48.12.jpg

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,264 of 14,509
Nice group of tubes there, and heck yeah if that sounds like the Westinghouse ..huge SCORE! JAN RCA looks sick, (meaning awesome) and GTB are among my favorites, super quick warm up time on those. Seems like the Tung Sol 7236 is this threads favorite power tube! I got a few tubes in and just one more later next week, and thats it for me for a few months.. (why don't I believe myself) first batch not to impressed with SENN warned me about them, hate it when he's right, :D dam Sylvania WGTA, problem is they're the 60's batch.. 50's are better is what I read, to forward for my tastes, your the one that got me interested in these GTA and GTB tubes..lol, not blaming you. So the one that just came in today is really beautiful and hope it sounds as good. 1955 Raytheon WGT.

The RCA 6AS7 that I got was really really clean...mint shape, even I was shocked when I got it. Its seems to be a great all around tube...plays great with what i've thrown at it. But i'm telling you hands down the tung sol 7236 is next level. It just elevates the driver tube. I mean the CBS and Westinghouse tubes, becoming my favorite right now...they sounded good...and with the tung sol...its that much better. Better resolution, extracts details better...just adds that much more magic. SENN is always on point as well. Yeah, I was looking at Sylvania WGTAs but yeah, need to hone in on the 50s..but I think those are a pretty penny. No worries, you got me on the Westinghouse kick, and i'm keeping an eye out for that Admiral branded tube as well. The staggered hole plate configuration of that one intrigues me. Let us know how that Raytheon is. That brown base looks really cool. The 50s seem to be a sweet spot for sure.

Aug 7, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #2,265 of 14,509
I use hifiman sundara and I interesting in darkvoice 336se. Is it ok to pair sundara with darkvoice? I just worry about impedance hum hiss or noice.

Sundara spec is :
Impedance @ 1kHz: 37 ohms
Sennsitivity: 94 dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back