1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last
  1. Jamie G
    Yeah, soldering skills are negligible at best. Don't wanna risk, it so may have to see if I can find someone who can

2. MelonHead
    Thanks, my DV 336SE is less than a week old. I received the spare tubes today morning, when I noticed the humm. Anyway, it doesn't bother me too much, and want to check whether the 3 days burn-in will solve the problem, or not.

3. volly
    The RCA's come in, looks good!

rca3.jpg rca6.jpg

rca4.jpg rca2.jpg
    Left:Sovtek 6N13s Right: RCA JAN 6AS7g

Let's see how it sounds. :)

4. Jamie G
    Any thoughts on this?

IMG_20180816_214807.png

Says its a 6sn7wgt GE nude base. Be interested to hear anyones opinions, love the look of it so I'm tempted, but it's selling for £40

5. volly
    @Jamie G - Unsure on that one, looks cute as heck. Looks so naked without the base! :)

6. Jamie G
    A few pics of what i'm running currently. Apologies for the poor cam quality!

TS 5998 and RCA 6SN7 Grey Glass

IMG_20180817_221329.jpg IMG_20180817_221348.jpg IMG_20180817_221418.jpg

7. volly
    Nice mate, how's it sounding to you? I got the RCA 6AS7g and TS 6SN7, sorta opposite to you. The RCA sounds damn smooth, loving it with the HD650's. Mid's are smooth with great detail, bass is thumping and treble is clear but not too extended.

Definitely a different combo to the Russian equivalents, which is more dry and airy throughout.

I do like both combo's though and will swap out for the other later, but I'm really liking this combo for the music I'm listening too.

Jamie G likes this.
  8. maheeinfy
    I had bad hum issues. After a lot of testing it concluded that the driver tube in the front is responsible for any hum/noise

Once i rolled a Tungsol US made 6SN7 its completely silent irrespective of the power tube i am running

Jamie G likes this.
  9. Jamie G
    Well this is only the second rear, and third front i've rolled, but to my untrained ears the 5998 and RCA Grey Glass do sound fantastic together. The detail and separation are really a step up and there's a noticeable improvement in both bass quantity and quality over what i've heard previously, there's some real meat on those drum hits. Only slight downside is its perhaps not quite as smooth and silky as i'd like. Sounds particularly good with electronica though.

Maybe i'm chasing the unicorn here, but i want everything. Clear, detailed and precise whilst being warm(ish), thumping and liquid smooth...although, that does kind of sound like your assessment of your combo...dammit Volly...now i'm going to have to try that combo out!. Right, back to ebay! :laughing:

10. Jamie G
    Yeah, i was starting to suspect this was the case but wasn't sure as i'm a rolling newb. Only tube i've tried so far that was even approaching silent was a Sylvania. At least my hum's shifted from right to left since putting the RCA in...change is as good as a holiday and all that!

Thanks for confirming maheeinfy

11. bluzeboy
    Jamie G likes this.
  12. tamio
    Greetings,
    I have bought DV recently and would like to upgrade tubes. I found the stock ones (6an7, 6sn7) good in term of bass, soundstage but don't satisfy enough with details and treble.
    I am pairing DV with Idac2, hd600.

Some tubes that I could buy in my area: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1868/43394814754_6731b7d2f6_o.png My budget is around 60$, prefer good P/P

I find some statement like "try 12SN7 instead of 6SN7, it's bargain" or "buy something released in 197x, 196x". Are these true? Especially about statement that tube in the past is better than tube made in nowaday?

13. Jamie G
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  14. MelonHead
    I'm rookie among the tubes, so take my view with a grain of salt, but this is the way what I try to follow:
    I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars into different tubes, but try for the best possible few tubes what my budget allows. I know, many NOS tubes are fantastic, but I don't have the knowledge to decide which offer is good and which one could be a scam.
    Therefore I decided to buy NEW tubes in the first round.
    As far as I know, driver tubes have bigger role in the sound signature. I already have a NEW TUNG-SOL 6SNGTB as a spare tube. As my money is not unlimited, after a few days of web-search I pulled the trigger on a Chinese tube with very good reputation. This is the Shuguang CV181-Z, aka "black treasure".
    https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html
    It requires a good amount of burn-in time -30-50 hours- but the general consensus is very good. I'll test it and decide between the possible power tubes according to the signature of the Black treasure. Some people says the Psvane tubes are better, but this is not a common consideration, and the appropriate Psvanes are slightly more expensive.

If you strictly want to fit into your budget with the two tubes, the Russian TUNG-SOL 6SN7GTB is a class above the stock driver tube, but beware: it hums -at least with my DV336SE-, but I will do the fitz mod next week.
    I hope, somebody can advice a nice, budget friendly power tube for your system.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    tamio likes this.
  15. bluzeboy
    make sure you pull out the power tube before leaving it on,it worked like a charm for me eliminating noise on my driver tubes.
    i leave my phones plugged in.

First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last