Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,667 of 14,511
It’s a pretty simple/easy mod, if you are handy with a soldering iron or hopefully you can find someone to do it.
Thanks, my DV 336SE is less than a week old. I received the spare tubes today morning, when I noticed the humm. Anyway, it doesn't bother me too much, and want to check whether the 3 days burn-in will solve the problem, or not.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,668 of 14,511
The RCA's come in, looks good!

rca3.jpg rca6.jpg

rca4.jpgrca2.jpg
Left:Sovtek 6N13s Right: RCA JAN 6AS7g

Let's see how it sounds. :)

Attachments

• rca5.jpg
    rca5.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,670 of 14,511
@Jamie G - Unsure on that one, looks cute as heck. Looks so naked without the base! :)

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,672 of 14,511
Nice mate, how's it sounding to you? I got the RCA 6AS7g and TS 6SN7, sorta opposite to you. The RCA sounds damn smooth, loving it with the HD650's. Mid's are smooth with great detail, bass is thumping and treble is clear but not too extended.

Definitely a different combo to the Russian equivalents, which is more dry and airy throughout.

I do like both combo's though and will swap out for the other later, but I'm really liking this combo for the music I'm listening too.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,673 of 14,511
I had bad hum issues. After a lot of testing it concluded that the driver tube in the front is responsible for any hum/noise

Once i rolled a Tungsol US made 6SN7 its completely silent irrespective of the power tube i am running

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,674 of 14,511
Nice mate, how's it sounding to you? I got the RCA 6AS7g and TS 6SN7, sorta opposite to you. The RCA sounds damn smooth, loving it with the HD650's. Mid's are smooth with great detail, bass is thumping and treble is clear but not too extended.

Definitely a different combo to the Russian equivalents, which is more dry and airy throughout.

I do like both combo's though and will swap out for the other later, but I'm really liking this combo for the music I'm listening too.

Well this is only the second rear, and third front i've rolled, but to my untrained ears the 5998 and RCA Grey Glass do sound fantastic together. The detail and separation are really a step up and there's a noticeable improvement in both bass quantity and quality over what i've heard previously, there's some real meat on those drum hits. Only slight downside is its perhaps not quite as smooth and silky as i'd like. Sounds particularly good with electronica though.

Maybe i'm chasing the unicorn here, but i want everything. Clear, detailed and precise whilst being warm(ish), thumping and liquid smooth...although, that does kind of sound like your assessment of your combo...dammit Volly...now i'm going to have to try that combo out!. Right, back to ebay! :laughing:

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,675 of 14,511
I had bad hum issues. After a lot of testing it concluded that the driver tube in the front is responsible for any hum/noise

Once i rolled a Tungsol US made 6SN7 its completely silent irrespective of the power tube i am running

Yeah, i was starting to suspect this was the case but wasn't sure as i'm a rolling newb. Only tube i've tried so far that was even approaching silent was a Sylvania. At least my hum's shifted from right to left since putting the RCA in...change is as good as a holiday and all that!

Thanks for confirming maheeinfy

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #1,676 of 14,511
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,677 of 14,511
Greetings,
I have bought DV recently and would like to upgrade tubes. I found the stock ones (6an7, 6sn7) good in term of bass, soundstage but don't satisfy enough with details and treble.
I am pairing DV with Idac2, hd600.

Some tubes that I could buy in my area: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1868/43394814754_6731b7d2f6_o.png My budget is around 60$, prefer good P/P

I find some statement like "try 12SN7 instead of 6SN7, it's bargain" or "buy something released in 197x, 196x". Are these true? Especially about statement that tube in the past is better than tube made in nowaday?

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,678 of 14,511
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,679 of 14,511
Greetings,
I have bought DV recently and would like to upgrade tubes. I found the stock ones (6an7, 6sn7) good in term of bass, soundstage but don't satisfy enough with details and treble.
I am pairing DV with Idac2, hd600.

Some tubes that I could buy in my area: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1868/43394814754_6731b7d2f6_o.png My budget is around 60$, prefer good P/P

I find some statement like "try 12SN7 instead of 6SN7, it's bargain" or "buy something released in 197x, 196x". Are these true? Especially about statement that tube in the past is better than tube made in nowaday?
I'm rookie among the tubes, so take my view with a grain of salt, but this is the way what I try to follow:
I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars into different tubes, but try for the best possible few tubes what my budget allows. I know, many NOS tubes are fantastic, but I don't have the knowledge to decide which offer is good and which one could be a scam.
Therefore I decided to buy NEW tubes in the first round.
As far as I know, driver tubes have bigger role in the sound signature. I already have a NEW TUNG-SOL 6SNGTB as a spare tube. As my money is not unlimited, after a few days of web-search I pulled the trigger on a Chinese tube with very good reputation. This is the Shuguang CV181-Z, aka "black treasure".
https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html
It requires a good amount of burn-in time -30-50 hours- but the general consensus is very good. I'll test it and decide between the possible power tubes according to the signature of the Black treasure. Some people says the Psvane tubes are better, but this is not a common consideration, and the appropriate Psvanes are slightly more expensive.

If you strictly want to fit into your budget with the two tubes, the Russian TUNG-SOL 6SN7GTB is a class above the stock driver tube, but beware: it hums -at least with my DV336SE-, but I will do the fitz mod next week.
I hope, somebody can advice a nice, budget friendly power tube for your system.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,680 of 14,511
Thanks for that bluzeboy, if it doesn't quieten down i may try that. The idea of leaving anything powered on for 3 straight days freaks me out slightly though.

Noticed it mentioned plugging headphones in THEN powering on...is that normal? I've never powered the DV on or off with headphones connected.
make sure you pull out the power tube before leaving it on,it worked like a charm for me eliminating noise on my driver tubes.
i leave my phones plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back