DAPs compatible with Wavelet
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

royalshadow

New Head-Fier
I currently have an Astell&Kern SA700 DAP for my regular commute, but have found it to be fairly restrictive in terms of the built in EQ and achieving AutoEQ profiles. I do have very good IEMs, but I find that for my ears (I’m approaching 50), having the ability to alter the EQ signature makes a huge difference.
A&K’s permitted list of XAPK downloads is incredibly limited, so I have been unable to find an allowed EQ app (Wavelet doesn’t work). I mainly use Apple Music so I know I’m not exactly the easiest of problems to solve.

Has anyone experience of their DAP being much more EQ accommodating? I’ve been looking at the Hiby RS6 as this has headphone profiles pre-installed, but it’s a substantial chunk of change!
Thanks in advance friends.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I currently have an Astell&Kern SA700 DAP for my regular commute, but have found it to be fairly restrictive in terms of the built in EQ and achieving AutoEQ profiles. I do have very good IEMs, but I find that for my ears (I’m approaching 50), having the ability to alter the EQ signature makes a huge difference.
A&K’s permitted list of XAPK downloads is incredibly limited, so I have been unable to find an allowed EQ app (Wavelet doesn’t work). I mainly use Apple Music so I know I’m not exactly the easiest of problems to solve.

Has anyone experience of their DAP being much more EQ accommodating? I’ve been looking at the Hiby RS6 as this has headphone profiles pre-installed, but it’s a substantial chunk of change!
Thanks in advance friends.

Wavelet works well on recent FiiO DAPs such as the M11 Plus. You might want to consider Poweramp Equalizer as well. I would suggest asking about specific DAPs before spending $$$ just to be sure.

Edit - remember that Wavelet requires Android 9 or later.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Wavelet works well on recent FiiO DAPs such as the M11 Plus. You might want to consider Poweramp Equalizer as well. I would suggest asking about specific DAPs before spending $$$ just to be sure.

Edit - remember that Wavelet requires Android 9 or later.
+1 With Android make sure you pick one that’s 10/11 or newer as in 3-4 years you’ll be out of luck if you pick one that’s on version 9. App developers don’t want to support older versions and you might find yourself using old versions and never be able to update.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 12
wavelet only works with newer versions of android 10 & up. If wavelet is an app you want to go with.
Oh it’s already on 10 lol, guess my previous comment is even more relevant. Version of Android is a key consideration for me in picking a DAP.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Oh it’s already on 10 lol, guess my previous comment is even more relevant. Version of Android is a key consideration for me in picking a DAP.

Yes, but you still need to check on a specific DAP - for example Wavelet does not work properly on my iBasso DX170 which is Android 11. Maybe an update will fix it at some point, but you can't be sure.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes, but you still need to check on a specific DAP - for example Wavelet does not work properly on my iBasso DX170 which is Android 11. Maybe an update will fix it at some point, but you can't be sure.
I guess that with a great PEQ on the DX170, you can achieve the AutoEQ settings manually, even if Wavelet isn’t playing ball. This is a good point for the iBasso I think.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 12
I guess that with a great PEQ on the DX170, you can achieve the AutoEQ settings manually, even if Wavelet isn’t playing ball. This is a good point for the iBasso I think.

I need to check that out more closely later today. I didn't think the built-in PEQ was system-wide or even 10 band...

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 12
I need to check that out more closely later today. I didn't think the built-in PEQ was system-wide or even 10 band...

Update - the iBasso PEQ is only for Mango Player (not system-wide) and only has 6 bands. Not really what I want here.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 12
I just discovered Wavelet. Using with an LG G7 ThinQ and Android 10. I am using the lowly Sony MH-755s with an extension cable that allows me to get the ESS dac/amp in the G7 into high power mode. I selected the curve of the 7th Acoustic Supernova IEM as a target.

Really great results, I have never heard the cheap Sony's sound so great.

1676839694108.png

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 12
I just discovered Wavelet. Using with an LG G7 ThinQ and Android 10. I am using the lowly Sony MH-755s with an extension cable that allows me to get the ESS dac/amp in the G7 into high power mode. I selected the curve of the 7th Acoustic Supernova IEM as a target.

Really great results, I have never heard the cheap Sony's sound so great.

1676839694108.png

I'm back to using my lg v60 as my dap, since it can run wavelet. My dx170 has been largely unused since release because of all the bugs at launch. To ibasso's credit they rolled out a ton of fixes, but wavelet only works on bluetooth. I love the dx170 but I'll either have to move to a dap that can run wavelet or just stay with the lg v60 indefinitely. =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back