Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #4,606 of 6,002
Does anyone know by how much the Stealth's cups actually reduce the ambient noise level? For example, I know that my ciems are rated for 36db of noise reduction. I'm not sure if DCA ever gave us that specification.
It's definitely not as much as my 64Audio A12t's. It's enough that I can't hear people talking to me with music playing.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #4,607 of 6,002
After a few days of digging, is there any portable (or transportable) device that can power these other than the Chord Hugo 2? That thing looks like a usability nightmare, I'd really like to find something else.

Perhaps the Fiio Q7 that's coming later this year, but that remains to be seen.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #4,608 of 6,002
After a few days of digging, is there any portable (or transportable) device that can power these other than the Chord Hugo 2? That thing looks like a usability nightmare, I'd really like to find something else.

I heard iFi Diablo and the Chord Mojo can.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #4,609 of 6,002

The Fiio Q5 with THX amp should, but I haven't tried. It was a nice pairing with the DCA Aeon 2 Noire.

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,610 of 6,002
You should always search online for measurements of these if possible. A lot of the specs you see from manufacturers are not practical for actual listening.

ifi diablo for example advertises 5W at 32Ohms using balanced mode, but in reality you can only get ~350mW out of it, you will get even less power if you pair it with 23Ohm Stealth. This is not a lot especially if you listen at loud(er) volumes. Which is why some people think it doesn't have enough power even though it says 5W in the specs sheets.

BAL-High-Gain-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-All.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #4,611 of 6,002
You should always search online for measurements of these if possible. A lot of the specs you see from manufacturers are not practical for actual listening.

ifi diablo for example advertises 5W at 32Ohms using balanced mode, but in reality you can only get ~350mW out of it, you will get even less power if you pair it with 23Ohm Stealth. This is not a lot especially if you listen at loud(er) volumes. Which is why some people think it doesn't have enough power even though it says 5W in the specs sheets.

BAL-High-Gain-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-All.jpg
Yet Stealth is satisfyingly loud on low gain SE on Diablo....

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #4,612 of 6,002
We've removed some posts that were taking the discussion away from the Stealth and into other topics. Thank you to those who kept the thread on-track, we appreciate. If anyone has questions regarding our guidelines, please feel free to send me a PM. Now, let's get back to the Stealth.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #4,614 of 6,002

I own 2 portable devices which can fully move the DCA Stealth at a realistic sound pressure level without clipping with some ultra low frequencies which are :
-> the FIIO M17 (but need a Samsung EB-U3300XJEG plugged to DC to activate the enhanced audio mode on the way)
-> and the Centrance Ampersand (I have to use either a Sony WM1A, a Kann Alpha or a Centrance M8V2 as source)

Though I mainly use the WM1A + Ampersand on the way as I also use an IEM Vision Ears EXT and my smartphone Z Fold 3 +SSD 4Tb as source, I think without the IEM factor, I would only use the FIIO M17 + 4Tb SSD (and acces to Qobuz & my Upnp server)... the IEM factor is needed for long overseas flight or whole day playing time on the way with a 24 hours or more playing with the WM1A on a single charge.
With the DCA Stealth I couldn't find a way to go over 6/7 hours playing time on a single charge in enhanced audio mode.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #4,615 of 6,002
For anyone interested, I'm downsizing and just listed my CMA Fifteen for sale. This DAC/amp has been an exceptional pairing with the DCA Stealth, better than the Chord TT2 even. PM me if interested, link to ad in signature.

Edit: withdrawn for now

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #4,616 of 6,002

Sitting here listening to Track 1 from The Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall with DCA Stealth with balanced 4.4mm cable and 'lowly' FiiO M11 Plus ESS. Volume level 90/100 is borderline too loud for me. Bass is pretty authoritative. Without getting too lost in navel-gazing, I get a more engaging kick driving the Stealths with Topping A90 fed by RME ADI-2, but could happily listen to the FiiO doing so all day -- except that the battery wouldn't last all day pushing those diaphragms around. That being said, I can see myself taking the M11 Plus and the Stealths and a nice pair of IEMs with me when I travel.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #4,617 of 6,002
Sitting here listening to Track 1 from The Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall with DCA Stealth with balanced 4.4mm cable and 'lowly' FiiO M11 Plus ESS. Volume level 90/100 is borderline too loud for me. Bass is pretty authoritative. Without getting too lost in navel-gazing, I get a more engaging kick driving the Stealths with Topping A90 fed by RME ADI-2, but could happily listen to the FiiO doing so all day -- except that the battery wouldn't last all day pushing those diaphragms around. That being said, I can see myself taking the M11 Plus and the Stealths and a nice pair of IEMs with me when I travel.
I have the Stealth but don’t travel with it. For that I use the AN2 with a Chord Mojo 2. Like you, I can be perfectly happy with this. But the Stealth with a good desktop system is just phenomenal.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #4,618 of 6,002

I used them with nx7 but since you can't get the 1v iphone dongle in the EU it was too many cables for me with the camera adapter. I've tried the mojo as well, but for my taste it lacks power. maybe the diablo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back