Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #4,621 of 6,033
What problem did you have with your stealth.

Not going to discuss it since they took care of my issues. They had the issues from the factory so nothing wrong with their longevity.

This song seems to be a pretty good demonstration of the Stealth's abilities:

Switching to my TH900 I hold in very high regard and it's like "oh".
It sounds thin yet muddled by comparison. The Stealth is more clear, rich, and has a more precise imaging in this case.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #4,622 of 6,033
I didn't have much time in the last few weeks for listening to music, and today I took out both the Susvara and Stealth and did a small check. And again Stealth is still my favorite of the two.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #4,623 of 6,033
I didn't have much time in the last few weeks for listening to music, and today I took out both the Susvara and Stealth and did a small check. And again Stealth is still my favorite of the two.

As I have never heard any Hifiman Headphones, did you give somewhere some detailed comparison between the Susvara and the Stealth ?
Actually, the DCA Stealth is something like a pure reference for me, though every day, I mostly use a Vision Ears EXT at office and the grado GS3000e (with severe EQ) at home as it is very light and wide open to stay connected with my family.
I also use often a HEDDphone One as a desktop Heddphone, as it is offers real deep impacts (very fast and "dry") and is still rather open.
But, If I had to keep and use only one Hradphone/IEM it would be for sure the DCA Stealth.

Do you compare the Susvara and Stealth based on FIIO M17 or on the HPA4+ADI-2 ? I also wonder if the Susvara can still be driven by the M17 in enhanced audio mode, as the HEDDphone one is lacking some impacts speed with the M17 and not missing when a little Monolith THX887 is used...
The DCA Stealth seems, for me, easier to be fully operational though sensitivity is comparable to the HEDDphone One..

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #4,624 of 6,033
As I have never heard any Hifiman Headphones, did you give somewhere some detailed comparison between the Susvara and the Stealth ?
Actually, the DCA Stealth is something like a pure reference for me, though every day, I mostly use a Vision Ears EXT at office and the grado GS3000e (with severe EQ) at home as it is very light and wide open to stay connected with my family.
I also use often a HEDDphone One as a desktop Heddphone, as it is offers real deep impacts (very fast and "dry") and is still rather open.
But, If I had to keep and use only one Hradphone/IEM it would be for sure the DCA Stealth.

Do you compare the Susvara and Stealth based on FIIO M17 or on the HPA4+ADI-2 ? I also wonder if the Susvara can still be driven by the M17 in enhanced audio mode, as the HEDDphone one is lacking some impacts speed with the M17 and not missing when a little Monolith THX887 is used...
The DCA Stealth seems, for me, easier to be fully operational though sensitivity is comparable to the HEDDphone One..
A few pages back I sent something, but not very detailed. Hifiman HPs I tested so far has that slight lean mids characteristic that might or might not work for you. It gives a larger stage feeling but at the expense of mids / vocal clarity. Some like it, some not. For heavy distortion guitar music it works well, or if you like vocal "warmth" which I don't.

I mainly tested and compared with HPA4 but M17 + Susvara is good enough for me for sofa listening, but I think the bass extension was better and cleaner on HPA4 - at least what I remember. I still didn't decide if I should keep the Susvara or not, as I didn't give much listening time recently. HEKse is a very easy to drive HP and also good sound with good bass but it needs slight EQ on the treble. If you are interested, I would also suggest checking the HEKv2 which I thought has a better tuning than HEKse but not as easy to drive, but M17 should have no problem.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #4,625 of 6,033
I would also suggest checking the HEKv2 which I thought has a better tuning than HEKse
I'm with you on that. Hekv2 is an amazing headphone. Much better than HEKse or Arya.

If hekv2 had better mids/vocals I would keep them and not change for stealth.
Unfortunately mids/vocals are like other hifimans a bit recessed/distant not as clear as they could be.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #4,626 of 6,033
I'm with you on that. Hekv2 is an amazing headphone. Much better than HEKse or Arya.

If hekv2 had better mids/vocals I would keep them and not change for stealth.
Unfortunately mids/vocals are like other hifimans a bit recessed/distant not as clear as they could be.

Negatives of the Hekse for me were it being an open back, having a narrow soundstage, being a Hifiman, and having a recessed midrange.
The Stealth beats it in every area really. Same with the Susvara. In terms of overall sound quality, I think the Stealth is right up there with the Susvara when you consider the advantages it has of being a closed back. Between the Stealth and Susvara, I picked the Stealth for the better isolation, customer support, being made in the US, being easier to drive, looking nicer, and having better tuning and distortion levels. The Susvara is better in that it sounds a little more open with a bigger soundstage due to being an open-back. Both are among the best headphones. I'd say the Susvara is currently tied with the SR-X9000 for being the best open back and the Stealth is currently the best closed back.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #4,628 of 6,033
He1000 series is known for having big open soundstage. I don't know how it was narrow for you, kinda strange.

Not sure. Maybe it was how I was wearing them? I don't remember what I was comparing them to at the time. Could also be a volume thing.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #4,629 of 6,033
Just wanted to make a fast report.
For film score type music, Stealth is extraordinary.
Subbas extension and well damped housing/drivers make you really feel like in a cinema.
For example this track:
1659701089853.png

It feels like mini subwoofers have been placed inside your head. With these headphones subbas is something that you can die for.

ps. another great example is Duel of the fates from Star Wars - version by the city of Prague philharmonic orchestra. It sound beautiful :)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #4,630 of 6,033
Just wanted to make a fest report.
For film score type music, Stealth is extraordinary.
Subbas extension and well damped housing/drivers make you really feel like in a cinema.
For example this track:
1659701089853.png

It feels like mini subwoofers have been placed inside your head. With these headphones subbas is something that you can die for.

ps. another great example is Duel of the fates from Star Wars - version by the city of Prague philharmonic orchestra. It sound beautiful :)
If you like OSTs, I’d also recommend the Tenet soundtrack. More electronic than orchestra, but it sounds amazing in the Stealth

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #4,631 of 6,033

Because in total he does more right than the Susvara 😉

NOMAX

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #4,633 of 6,033
For me Susvara on Niimbus is way better more dynamic, faster.
I believe that there are two types of audiophiles. Those who prioritize tonal balance/refinement and those who prioritize dynamics/excitement . Just my $0.02.

Some people love the LCD4s; I don't see how. They sound like the entire top end has been chopped off. They're super dynamic though.

The Susvara has a far better tonal balance than the LCD4 but you get my point.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #4,635 of 6,033
I believe that there are two types of audiophiles. Those who prioritize tonal balance/refinement and those who prioritize dynamics/excitement . Just my $0.02.

Some people love the LCD4s; I don't see how. They sound like the entire top end has been chopped off. They're super dynamic though.

The Susvara has a far better tonal balance than the LCD4 but you get my point.
No I want it all and tonal balance of Susvara is unbelievable good!
Metal with Stealth sounds too slow sometimes too fat in the low end holding the impact away. Or my Niimbus was not good enough for Stealth? :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back