Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 22, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #4,591 of 6,002
Right now, I have them on my desk with a Topping D90SE/A90D combo, and I'm amazed that the A90D is barely enough power, comfortable listening levels are ~55-65 in high gain. I might have to go the AH2B2 route.

Something sounds wrong. The A90D can max out the Stealth easily let alone 55-65.
The RME-ADI 2 for example can play it in Low power at roughly 70-80db.
This is a common misunderstanding: The volume level setting on an amp does not, in any way, relate to the power being delivered. It only relates to the gain setting of the amp. If you are running out of volume adjustment, it means that, if you're not listening too loud, then the gain level is too low. This can easily happen if you have a high-dynamic-range classical music, for example. It should also be noted that Topping products are optimised around looking impressive in measurements, and this can compromise actual sound quality (ie: the reproduction of music, rather than test tones) in various ways.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #4,592 of 6,002
This is a common misunderstanding: The volume level setting on an amp does not, in any way, relate to the power being delivered. It only relates to the gain setting of the amp. If you are running out of volume adjustment, it means that, if you're not listening too loud, then the gain level is too low. This can easily happen if you have a high-dynamic-range classical music, for example. It should also be noted that Topping products are optimised around looking impressive in measurements, and this can compromise actual sound quality (ie: the reproduction of music, rather than test tones) in various ways.
That's a bold statement.
Even though I agree, you should be careful or you'll anger all of the topping fanboys!!!!

😨

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #4,593 of 6,002
Topping products are optimised around looking impressive in measurements, and this can compromise actual sound quality (ie: the reproduction of music, rather than test tones) in various ways.
What are some of the ways and are Topping products actually compromised in those ways?

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #4,594 of 6,002
Just got the Stealths, pretty amazing bass. I do miss the speed of the SR-1a's a bit, but the overall tonal balance on these is just spot on.

Has anyone had any success powering these from a portable source? I tried my A&K SE180's in high gain, and it struggled pretty hard.

Right now, I have them on my desk with a Topping D90SE/A90D combo, and I'm amazed that the A90D is barely enough power, comfortable listening levels are ~55-65 in high gain. I might have to go the AH2B2 route.

I am using same setup all XLR, but a90 and I never leave low gain.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,596 of 6,002
I've just discovered that if you pinch and release the headband wires with them on, it makes an insanely deep sound. Highly recommend it, it sounds like a movie's sound effects.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #4,597 of 6,002
On low gain, the volume range for me on the A90D is 65-75
I think there are only 2 gain stages on the A90D and its a digital volume control. So not entirely comparable to A90 in function.. Is that is high as you go with the quietest recordings you have ? Are you using 4v or 5v on your DAC ?
I've just discovered that if you pinch and release the headband wires with them on, it makes an insanely deep sound. Highly recommend it, it sounds like a movie's sound effects.
lol, yeah plucking the head band wire like a string makes a bassy sound.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #4,598 of 6,002
I think there are only 2 gain stages on the A90D and its a digital volume control. So not entirely comparable to A90 in function.. Is that is high as you go with the quietest recordings you have ? Are you using 4v or 5v on your DAC ?
That's correct, it has low and medium gain only. My DAC is in 5v mode. I picked this as a recording with pretty good dynamic range, and without insane compression:
1658617369452.png

Low gain: 70 is the lowest volume I'd use, 75 is medium-loud, 85 is unlistenably loud.
Medium gain: 60 is about the lowest, 67 is medium-loud, 75 is pain

Anyway, I'm liking the D90SE/A90D/Stealth combo :)

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #4,599 of 6,002
Okay, I found a truly "quiet" song, and I can confirm that the A90D cannot reach "pain" loudness in low gain with the Stealths. At 99, this song is just "too loud". In medium gain, I can actually get the amp to clip before it reaches pain levels.

At least that's what, I assume, is happening, as the volume display briefly shows "-5" on louder sections.

Regardless, comfortable/good listening levels are at ~75 in medium gain, even for this super quiet recording, so not a real issue.

1658620663413.png

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #4,600 of 6,002
@bemeurer With that first song I was actually around your numbers on my volume dial percentage wise. I'll check out the other song tomorrow. I have to say, for quiet recordings the only reason I'd go to medium is for tighter volume control. When I used a spl meter to measure my headphones I thought what I would consider loud or too loud, would be over the safe limit, but I actually found I'm right at it. So I try and keep it under that.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #4,601 of 6,002
Just ordered a Stealth.. will see how it fares compared to my Fostex TH900. Will be driving it with my PC's integrated audio first because I just sold my A90 and ordered an A90D which should be arriving in like 10-15 days.

Two totally different headphones. TH900's are bass cannons for max fun, while the Stealth has a more refined sound signature - very accurate, clean, and detailed, and definitely nowhere near the amount of bass quantity as the TH900. If you're a basshead, you may find the Stealth a bit lacking in terms of visceral impact. Although I find the Stealths definitely have way better soundstage. separation and imaging than the TH900.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #4,602 of 6,002
Two totally different headphones. TH900's are bass cannons for max fun, while the Stealth has a more refined sound signature - very accurate, clean, and detailed, and definitely nowhere near the amount of bass quantity as the TH900. If you're a basshead, you may find the Stealth a bit lacking in terms of visceral impact. Although I find the Stealths definitely have way better soundstage. separation and imaging than the TH900.
No idea how I'll like it. My favorite headphones are the SR-X9000, SR-009, SR-007, Voce, TH900, Susvara, and Focal Clear OG.

Jul 24, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,603 of 6,002
The above reasons are why I kept both. 😁

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #4,605 of 6,002
Does anyone know by how much the Stealth's cups actually reduce the ambient noise level? For example, I know that my ciems are rated for 36db of noise reduction. I'm not sure if DCA ever gave us that specification.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back