Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 15, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #4,577 of 6,001
Is this for real? First post of this whole thread I saw lmao

Yes, I got a big Cardi B poster in my bedroom. I'm camping in front of her house everday to get a glimps of her.

That is why these headphones are awesome. Because they provide Stealth, so she won't see me camping in front of her house all the time.

Jul 21, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #4,578 of 6,001
Got a pair of Stealths arriving on Monday from Headphones.com.

Primary aim is to be a perfect evaluation headphone for Canjam (Closed back/isolating, Hard to drive, Very technically proficient etc), but I'm quite intrigued to see how they sound on something like an AHB2 compared to normal headphone amps

Jul 21, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #4,579 of 6,001

Primary aim is to be a perfect evaluation headphone for Canjam (Closed back/isolating, Hard to drive, Very technically proficient etc), but I'm quite intrigued to see how they sound on something like an AHB2 compared to normal headphone amps
Try different positions on the head. I wrote it some time ago. Back/forward up/down also rotation of the cups has impact on how they sound. (also seal but that's obvious one)
Once you find perfect position, it's remarkable how clean this headphones sound. Fully extended on both ends, still very clean distortion less.
I'm especially excited by the highs. On many headphones highs are too sharp for my ears, lacks clarity.
And if they are not sharp they tend to be too dark too rolled off. (same thing about upper midrange/shoutiness)
With stealth with proper positioning on the head you have both, extension and non fatigue.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #4,580 of 6,001
Yes, I got a big Cardi B poster in my bedroom. I'm camping in front of her house everday to get a glimps of her.

That is why these headphones are awesome. Because they provide Stealth, so she won't see me camping in front of her house all the time.
Let's see that poster!

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #4,581 of 6,001

Pad break-in works big-time in the Stealth's favor. Like gentle massage with fingers now and again, or just letting the foam warm on your face to soften them.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts when you drive them with a power amp like an AHB2. Is that an amp known for any particular sonic characteristics?

My only experience with power amps driving headphones was Chord Ttoby driving a 1266 TC. And that was a real revelation. It did some cool stuff with creating a well-defined center image.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #4,582 of 6,001
Pad break-in works big-time in the Stealth's favor. Like gentle massage with fingers now and again, or just letting the foam warm on your face to soften them.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts when you drive them with a power amp like an AHB2. Is that an amp known for any particular sonic characteristics?

My only experience with power amps driving headphones was Chord Ttoby driving a 1266 TC. And that was a real revelation. It did some cool stuff with creating a well-defined center image.
Have the AHB2, it does not have any sonic characteristics but I would use the old hifi reviewers statement that they are a "wire with gain", they sound fantastic both with my Susvara's and the Stealth gives the more power, this out of either Hugo 2 or TT2 with either Node 2i opt out or Auralic Aries G1 USB out. That said I feel TT2 are also a perfect pairing and what I normally use, tested the as I used my AHB2 with my Quad Speakers as many in this forum recommend them, for Susvara I feel TT2 is perfect out of the back XLR's as well, Susvara out of the Hugo 2...not so much...not enough power but and Stealth out of the Hugo 2 ( listening now) are also very good but nor as satisfying as with the TT2...which they should considering the price but perfect for transportable hotel listening...

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #4,583 of 6,001
20220722_134138.jpg

Stealth arrived today and I'm running them on a few amps (still at work so not doing any critical listening yet but just getting a feel for them)

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #4,584 of 6,001
Just ordered a Stealth.. will see how it fares compared to my Fostex TH900. Will be driving it with my PC's integrated audio first because I just sold my A90 and ordered an A90D which should be arriving in like 10-15 days.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #4,585 of 6,001
Just got the Stealths, pretty amazing bass. I do miss the speed of the SR-1a's a bit, but the overall tonal balance on these is just spot on.

Has anyone had any success powering these from a portable source? I tried my A&K SE180's in high gain, and it struggled pretty hard.

Right now, I have them on my desk with a Topping D90SE/A90D combo, and I'm amazed that the A90D is barely enough power, comfortable listening levels are ~55-65 in high gain. I might have to go the AH2B2 route.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #4,586 of 6,001
Just got the Stealths, pretty amazing bass. I do miss the speed of the SR-1a's a bit, but the overall tonal balance on these is just spot on.

Has anyone had any success powering these from a portable source? I tried my A&K SE180's in high gain, and it struggled pretty hard.

Right now, I have them on my desk with a Topping D90SE/A90D combo, and I'm amazed that the A90D is barely enough power, comfortable listening levels are ~55-65 in high gain. I might have to go the AH2B2 route.

Are you using balanced? That's about the position I had to set for the A90 to power my Susvara to a fairly loud listening level on single ended. The A90 has less power, I *thought* the Susvara was harder to drive, and that's just single ended. With balanced, it was about the middle of medium gain. Maybe volume scaling is different?

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #4,587 of 6,001
Are you using balanced? That's about the position I had to set for the A90 to power my Susvara to a fairly loud listening level on single ended. The A90 has less power, I *thought* the Susvara was harder to drive, and that's just single ended. With balanced, it was about the middle of medium gain. Maybe volume scaling is different?
Yeah, using the 4.4mm output. The volume curve is completely different on the A90D from the A90 though, so I don't think it'll translate. I'm on Curve 1:
1658533619234.png

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #4,588 of 6,001

Something sounds wrong. The A90D can max out the Stealth easily let alone 55-65.
The RME-ADI 2 for example can play it in Low power at roughly 70-80db.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #4,589 of 6,001
Something sounds wrong. The A90D can max out the Stealth easily let alone 55-65.
The RME-ADI 2 for example can play it in Low power at roughly 70-80db.
I'm currently listening to my FLAC rip of this album, listening level is medium-high, the A90D is at 66. Interestingly, if I move it up to 71 it becomes painfully loud.

I think I'm just being a victim of the non-linear volume curve on the A90D.
1658540598387.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back