Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #4,546 of 6,033
Note: you have to use the balanced output on the IHA-6 because the single-ended outputs are much higher impedance.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #4,547 of 6,033
@dougq a few pages ago now I asked if you could show me an article, video, or forum link to where Dan states he recommends X amp or amps, you’ve stated several times about what the creator of the headphones recommends. I can’t find his recommendations and they are out of the office now.

Can you share that info please?

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #4,548 of 6,033
@dougq a few pages ago now I asked if you could show me an article, video, or forum link to where Dan states he recommends X amp or amps, you’ve stated several times about what the creator of the headphones recommends. I can’t find his recommendations and they are out of the office now.

I'm guessing he asked if the RME was good enough and they probably said it was, because well it is. I'd be surprised if they were the ones to actually recommend it over anything else. Good question though, I also asked and did not receive the response.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #4,549 of 6,033

I asked them directly

Also regarding current. To reach 110db it requires 104.7Ma. 330Ma to get to 120db.

So as noted before, based on the math you should not clip or be limited on the RME unless you are listening at VERY loud volumes. Which I guess is possible. But I would see a doctor.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #4,550 of 6,033
Actually, the IHA-6 costs less than the RME. That's really funny.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #4,551 of 6,033
I'm guessing he asked if the RME was good enough and they probably said it was, because well it is. I'd be surprised if they were the ones to actually recommend it over anything else. Good question though, I also asked and did not receive the response.
No, I asked for a list of recommended amps. This was their official recommendation list:

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #4,552 of 6,033
No, I asked for a list of recommended amps. This was their official recommendation list:
Thanks for providing that. Interesting to see the recommendation of the TT2 and MScaler given recent controversy...lol. I don't disagree, that was a fantastic pairing when I had it with the Stealth.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #4,554 of 6,033
If Dan shows the Stealth at a show with a particular amp, couldn't one infer a recommendation? If so, he showed with a Chord TT2 and an ampsandsound Nautilus.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #4,555 of 6,033
Well the IHA-6 is just an amp. It looks like a good amp. The RME is a fully featured Dac / Amp.
True, the rme is a very good DAC. Its amp section is just not of the same caliber of the IHA-6 though.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #4,556 of 6,033
If Dan shows the Stealth at a show with a particular amp, couldn't one infer a recommendation? If so, he showed with a Chord TT2 and an ampsandsound Nautilus.
Absolutely, and we know he's a fan of the TT2 and enjoys the Stealth out of them. One of his earlier posts in this thread confirm this.

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #4,558 of 6,033
Not really 😉

Personally, I would not buy very expensive headphones that offers me the performance with only 80 db distortion-free.....95 db -100 db should already be loosely possible if you want to have fun for a short time ... but so many are not available on the market

And 70 is really to fall asleep 🤪
(Nobody goes to the cinema/movies to sleep or maybe they do?😜)

NOMAX

PS.lol
You're definitely gonna clip on the Hugo 2 and tt2 based on how loud Curra listens and is still clipping on the tt2.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #4,559 of 6,033
The thing with the stealth is they're sensitive enough to pick up the superior transparency from the SE outputs and, since the SE outs are already so powerful, you really don't need to tap into more power and lose that transparency. That said, the bal XLR outs were one of my favorite to drive the Susvara, so I certainly see where you're coming from.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #4,560 of 6,033
The thing with the stealth is they're sensitive enough to pick up the superior transparency from the SE outputs and, since the SE outs are already so powerful, you really don't need to tap into more power and lose that transparency. That said, the bal XLR outs were one of my favorite to drive the Susvara, so I certainly see where you're coming from.
Noise floor is lower for sure on the front SE output so @801evan and you are both correct about the distortion to my ears but my point was more about power and dynamics that the last 10 pages are littered with in the comments, especially re: the RME AIO unit. I find the headroom scalable to more power from a cleaner amplification like the AHB2 I have used in the past. The Stealth are great, they are not as emotion evoking as the Susvara to me but they fill my need for a TOTL Closed back incredibly well..........right now :)

On this point I am getting at about power, dynamics and noise floor the SE sounds more shrill and thin at the same DB (86-94 dynamic) than the rear outputs and I find this to be inline with a lot of what you and others said about the the RME and it's limited output. Again, this is how my ears hear it from these configurations, but I should state this is listening to Journey and Steve Perry though currently so there is that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back