Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Mar 18, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #3,526 of 6,033
There is an intentional bump on the midbass which means the ability to control that and also imply the ability to take care of lower frequencies.
Yes there is. But I don't really believe that's been made with AMTS.
But maybe @mrspeakers Dan could elaborate more on that.

Just wavelength of lower frequencies are "long" and you cannot control it with such small piece. But I'm not a designer so I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,527 of 6,033
I can imagine lots of other headphones with known distortion (looking at you AB 1266) benefiting from something like AMTS, as long as its famous bass isn't diminished. I hope Dan releases user swappable AMTS revision to increase base quantity in the Stealth. This way I can drive it with the Hugo TT2 guilt-free and preserve all that beautiful detail instead of driving from the Formula S, which trades some of that detail for scrumptious bass.

The AMTS tunes the FR and I don't think it will reduce or prevent distortion.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #3,528 of 6,033
The AMTS tunes the FR and I don't think it will reduce or prevent distortion.
Yeah just wishful thinking. I don't have much understanding in the area of metamaterials

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #3,530 of 6,033
E355F521-7D22-4C5B-95EB-B751303F5381.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.thanks to Gabi Rynveld.....the Grand Dame of the best Headphone Cables that makes really sense

I will write later my impressions about the Double Duet from Crystal Cable

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #3,531 of 6,033
Another Stealth appreciation post:

Got my new PSU 2 weeks ago and I've been breaking it in. Has 4x more lt3045s than my last setup, bringing it up to 80x lt3045s to power my CDT and OCXO. Silver rca plugs and inlets as well. Also finally got my occ silver 4.4 + 6.3 DCA cable to do some comparison in the following weeks.

Around day 5 the soundstage has grew so much on CDT playback. It's like upgrading from a 60inch tv to a 120+ inch tv. Pretty wild. I tried to power my soekris DAC with a powerbank + silver dc cables and it shrunk the soundstage to a 12inch tablet.

The bass is so deep and so far in perception. And again, it sounds more open than is even imaginable, even for an open can. Fitting is actually a bit more forgiving now but one is heavily rewarded when good fitting and alignment is achieved.

IMG_20220309_111952.jpg

IMG_20220309_112008.jpg

And wow on this talk by Dan!!! What a gift this talk is. Such a definite guide. I've stopped chasing 'detail' because of how it started to sound more wrong than correct and Dan explains it well here. He also explained well the upgrades I'm hearing with timbre quality in vocals that lower distortion brings. Taylor Swift - Folklore had been one of my test albums and lately her vocals has this quality where it's like a woman speaking to you. If I downgrade my chain a bit, it's like her throat tightens up or she's has to perform and sing and her pitch goes up and there is a hardness that happens in the presentation.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #3,532 of 6,033
Another Stealth appreciation post:

Got my new PSU 2 weeks ago and I've been breaking it in. Has 4x more lt3045s than my last setup, bringing it up to 80x lt3045s to power my CDT and OCXO. Silver rca plugs and inlets as well. Also finally got my occ silver 4.4 + 6.3 DCA cable to do some comparison in the following weeks.

Around day 5 the soundstage has grew so much on CDT playback. It's like upgrading from a 60inch tv to a 120+ inch tv. Pretty wild. I tried to power my soekris DAC with a powerbank + silver dc cables and it shrunk the soundstage to a 12inch tablet.

The bass is so deep and so far in perception. And again, it sounds more open than is even imaginable, even for an open can. Fitting is actually a bit more forgiving now but one is heavily rewarded when good fitting and alignment is achieved.

IMG_20220309_111952.jpg
IMG_20220309_112008.jpg

And wow on this talk by Dan!!! What a gift this talk is. Such a definite guide. I've stopped chasing 'detail' because of how it started to sound more wrong than correct and Dan explains it well here. He also explained well the upgrades I'm hearing with timbre quality in vocals that lower distortion brings. Taylor Swift - Folklore had been one of my test albums and lately her vocals has this quality where it's like a woman speaking to you. If I downgrade my chain a bit, it's like her throat tightens up or she's has to perform and sing and her pitch goes up and there is a hardness that happens in the presentation.

All this for Taylor Swift...?

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,533 of 6,033
All this for Taylor Swift...?
Well if u wanna go there.... When it came out in mid-2020, my chain was already good but it can make it sound like Folklore is some indie cottage core recording. It can even sound like they rushed on finishing it. But now, it is quite an audiophile affair on that album to my surprise. There's actually a mistake on the Cardigan track on the 'playing hide and seek' part.

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #3,534 of 6,033
Well if u wanna go there.... When it came out in mid-2020, my chain was already good but it can make it sound like Folklore is some indie cottage core recording. It can even sound like they rushed on finishing it. But now, it is quite an audiophile affair on that album to my surprise. There's actually a mistake on the Cardigan track on the 'playing hide and seek' part.
I guess my question was more along the lines of why Taylor Swift as opposed to, say, Wagner's "Götterdämmerung" or Ratt's "Invasion Of Your Privacy"?

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,535 of 6,033
I guess my question was more along the lines of why Taylor Swift as opposed to, say, Wagner's "Götterdämmerung" or Ratt's "Invasion Of Your Privacy"?
Ahh. Well I don't listen to those that you mentioned? I'm also using Radiohead - Pablo Honey as another new reference album and the similarity of that and Folklore is that they can seemingly sound like it's poorly recorded. Pablo Honey has high DR tho. Folklore has lower DR I believe. I just have aural memory of those and the challenging parts in the track in my previous chains. Pablo Honey always has that demo tape kind of finish but man, it's sooo alive on my current setup and really reveals how sensitive my chain is to changes and what upgrades to do next.

Radiohead - Pablo Honey
'You' 1:35-1:55 has so much space and seperation between the vocals and guitar. And when he yelps, it's just so alive and sounds like some tentpole movie in recording quality. You just hear the space and the air in the harmonics.

2:14 has drums that's like from Cranberries 'Zombie' in its energy and sounds like a live performance.

'how do you' is so open, visceral and rockin' that it has the energy and liveliness of Blur's song 2.

Anyways part of my point is albums that used to sound underwhelming in it's recording quality is just sounds so good now and I seem to prefer to use it when doing chain comparisons. Coz it'll simply sound a bit crappier and closer to how I use to remember it or it would be better.

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #3,537 of 6,033
I can imagine lots of other headphones with known distortion (looking at you AB 1266) benefiting from something like AMTS, as long as its famous bass isn't diminished. I hope Dan releases user swappable AMTS revision to increase base quantity in the Stealth. This way I can drive it with the Hugo TT2 guilt-free and preserve all that beautiful detail instead of driving from the Formula S, which trades some of that detail for scrumptious bass.
From what I understand, the thicker part of the Stealth AMTS affects 8K, higher freq. as it gets thinner. For the bass region he must use more conventional methods.

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #3,538 of 6,033
Stealth is like a tube gear.

Tubes need some warm up time to sound the best.
With the Stealth I need like ~20 minutes to get the pads to warm from my body temperature and then pads kinda "melt" on your ears/head - seal is vastly improved and they start to sing like no other.
These headphones are extremely sensitive to seal.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #3,540 of 6,033
Maybe it's the amp that needs the warming? Or if you're in colder climes, it's the pads that needs to soften up with body temp?
Stealth is like a tube gear.

Tubes need some warm up time to sound the best.
With the Stealth I need like ~20 minutes to get the pads to warm from my body temperature and then pads kinda "melt" on your ears/head - seal is vastly improved and they start to sing like no other.
These headphones are extremely sensitive to seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back