Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,956 of 6,033
Can someone make a meaningful comparison between the Stealth and the Raal SRA-1, at least from 30hz up? I realize that their very different animals, but how does the detail, sound stage and speed compare? I would pair the SRA-1 with a sub, but i'm concerned about getting the timing right.

Would the Stealth be a good headphone for home studio use? I like the idea of being able to use the same headphone for recording, mixing, and mastering.
I bought the Stealth for use in the studio when tracking and mixing - but they're so good that I just use them for most of my music listening. They ended up on my work desk where I spend most of my day, instead of in the studio. But, the few times I did use them, they were great. One of the issues I have in the studio is headphone cables coming out of both sides. I prefer using headphones with cable on one side only because then I can easily hold a guitar or play whatever instruments without the cables getting too much in the way. On my desk, I don't care too much about that.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Raal to share.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #2,957 of 6,033
Can someone make a meaningful comparison between the Stealth and the Raal SRA-1, at least from 30hz up? I realize that their very different animals, but how does the detail, sound stage and speed compare? I would pair the SRA-1 with a sub, but i'm concerned about getting the timing right.

Would the Stealth be a good headphone for home studio use? I like the idea of being able to use the same headphone for recording, mixing, and mastering.
so different it really isnt worth the comparison

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #2,958 of 6,033

I have the Stealth and I had the SR1A in house for a few weeks. Completely different animals, COMPLETELY. The Sr1a are almost as polarizing as the 1266 TC to me sonically and fitment wise. 30hz-ish up they are more detailed, offer more grip on stringed instruments, and have a soundstage that is limitless compared to the DCA Stealth. The Stealth are closed back. They sound like a closed back, albeit the best closed back on the market to my ears that I’ve heard.

Seriously you are asking for a comparison between a 🦒 and a 🐎. Both have four legs and a tail but the comparison ends there.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,959 of 6,033
Yeah, that's what I thought. The thing is I live in the middle of Montana and I don't make a lot of money right now which means I can't afford both to play around with, and there's no place within a thousand miles of me where I could compare them.. As well I listen to everything from Frank Sinatra, Gojira, the Bee gees, and Yoko Kanno. My tastes are too varied to narrow it down to a headphone of a particular type that does a particular thing well. So given that, I probably need an all-rounder, and I'm going to be using virtual surround sound and htrf processing, maybe I can match the sound staging of the sra1 with the stealth. I donno

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #2,960 of 6,033
Seriously you are asking for a comparison between a 🦒 and a 🐎. Both have four legs and a tail but the comparison ends there.

Exactly ... In a way that's the best comparison I could see...
I would say probably both can run really fast, but one is much more versatile and convenient as everyday uses and to go from one point to another ... the other one, I am happy to know it exists, but I am still wondering :thinking: what I would do in real life with such thing other than watch it in a congested place .... sometimes. :beyersmile: :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #2,961 of 6,033
At best the RAAL will sound like large bookshelf speakers 1.5m away in a personal listening space sans room reflections. Some people will love the 'realism' of this effect, but if you've been following the thread (and also susvara), the praise is more of a subjective preference and far from objective accuracy of music playback.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #2,962 of 6,033
Yeah, that's what I thought. The thing is I live in the middle of Montana and I don't make a lot of money right now which means I can't afford both to play around with, and there's no place within a thousand miles of me where I could compare them.. As well I listen to everything from Frank Sinatra, Gojira, the Bee gees, and Yoko Kanno. My tastes are too varied to narrow it down to a headphone of a particular type that does a particular thing well. So given that, I probably need an all-rounder, and I'm going to be using virtual surround sound and htrf processing, maybe I can match the sound staging of the sra1 with the stealth. I donno
Honestly you'll be chasing -- as in filling in the gaps. You need to decide how important a full-tactile bass response is to you compared to the open staging and pen-ultimate technicalities. Employing a sub with SR1a works but isn't the seamless solution you may believe it to be.

You are so inclined to use alternate applications, which makes you a prime candidate to consider a smaller STAX with the Realiser.

And that's from owning it all not mere conjecture.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #2,963 of 6,033
Lol. Made me think of a line in regards to YT totl reviewers and canjam meets.

Show me your preferred HP and I can tell how much distortion you have in the chain.
Oh Resolve actually published a list. This list exactly illustrates how a high noise floor and an 'ok' transport can result in placing of the headphones in his post.

https://forum.headphones.com/t/resolves-headphone-ranking-list/16052

For example, having the Susvara for a few weeks absolutely ruined the LCD 4 for me. I always have the wifi and my phone off during listening sessions while my partner has her phone on. When she left to do errands, the 4 actually sounded really smooth and superb and I actually preferred it over the Susvara (+1 phone turned on). I didn't have the Susvara anymore on this round but it is expected to also scale in smoothness when the phones are turned off but I doubt it'll be of the same delta as the LCD4. When my partner arrived home, the LCD4 was back to its shouty peaky self. The Stealth can come off sibilant when wifi and power strips on the same leg are on.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,964 of 6,033
So I have gone totally YOLO for the end of 2021... here comes the Pro iCAN Signature :heartbeat:

I couldn't resist going all the way... getting to know the Pro ICAN and burning it in... First impressions are great, the Stealth benefits from the added authority but also I confirm that M17 in desktop mode does a mighty great job already driving Stealth... of course this is another territory yet with more flexible SS/Tube modes and a whole lot of headroom. Further down the rabbit hole :p

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,965 of 6,033
So I have gone totally YOLO for the end of 2021... here comes the Pro iCAN Signature :heartbeat:

I couldn't resist going all the way... getting to know the Pro ICAN and burning it in... First impressions are great, the Stealth benefits from the added authority but also I confirm that M17 in desktop mode does a mighty great job already driving Stealth... of course this is another territory yet with more flexible SS/Tube modes and a whole lot of headroom. Further down the rabbit hole :p
Oh that's a great choice. As an added benefit, get a dxpwr3a 15v-12v at ldovr dot com so it's compatible to the m17. And you can hear the difference in adding a voltage regulator and possibly sell the 12v later on or another device.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2,966 of 6,033
Oh that's a great choice. As an added benefit, get a dxpwr3a 15v-12v at ldovr dot com so it's compatible to the m17. And you can hear the difference in adding a voltage regulator and possibly sell the 12v later on or another device.
In fact Pro iCAN Signature comes with iPower Elite 15V/3.5A bundled, I think I am set for now...
M17 in desktop mode plugged to the Pro iCAN is breathtaking!

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #2,967 of 6,033
In fact Pro iCAN Signature comes with iPower Elite 15V/3.5A bundled, I think I am set for now...
M17 in desktop mode plugged to the Pro iCAN is breathtaking!
Right. I'm saying with the included 15v, the dxpwr will step it down to 12v plus added noise rejection for the m17. The m17 + elite 12v to the ifi ican is a great combo idea too.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,968 of 6,033
Right. I'm saying with the included 15v, the dxpwr will step it down to 12v plus added noise rejection for the m17. The m17 + elite 12v to the ifi ican is a great combo idea too.
Yeah I do have the Elite 12V for the M17 as well.
And a Supanova cable but given I need 2 I should have gone Nova x 2
Didn't know I would take the Pro ICAN Signature dive though :p

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,969 of 6,033
I am on my 2nd pair of Stealth and the Sub-bass is much better than the 1st pair I had.......not sure if this is a unit variation or what but the difference is significant (immediately identifiable) and cup placement independent which the 1st set required the cups to ride higher for better bass. Amp is the Ferrum Stack same as before.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #2,970 of 6,033
At best the RAAL will sound like large bookshelf speakers 1.5m away in a personal listening space sans room reflections. Some people will love the 'realism' of this effect, but if you've been following the thread (and also susvara), the praise is more of a subjective preference and far from objective accuracy of music playback.
That's good to know, because that's not what I'm looking for. I'm interested in creating a VR-audio experience, not duplicating speakers, at least with naturally mic'd stereo, and surround material. I would think that a closed back would facilitate that because the room i'm in would not interfere with the space that i'm creating.
Honestly you'll be chasing -- as in filling in the gaps. You need to decide how important a full-tactile bass response is to you compared to the open staging and pen-ultimate technicalities. Employing a sub with SR1a works but isn't the seamless solution you may believe it to be.

You are so inclined to use alternate applications, which makes you a prime candidate to consider a smaller STAX with the Realiser.

And that's from owning it all not mere conjecture.
Yeah, that's what I'd thought about pairing them with a sub too. I've been following the mess that the Realizer pre-order became for a few years now, but stopped reading that thread 6 months ago. I'm a Linux/diy person when it comes to computers, and I'm thinking that I can do all that the Realizer does from my own computer, but that's off-topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back