Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #2,971 of 5,996
The Stealth can come off sibilant when wifi and power strips on the same leg are on.
This has nothing to do with the Stealth and everything to do with your chain and power connections. The Stealth is just playing what's being fed to it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,972 of 5,996
I am on my 2nd pair of Stealth and the Sub-bass is much better than the 1st pair I had.......not sure if this is a unit variation or what but the difference is significant (immediately identifiable) and cup placement independent which the 1st set required the cups to ride higher for better bass. Amp is the Ferrum Stack same as before.
That is interesting. My Stealth has excellent subbass since day one, which is why I was surprised that people are complaining about lack of bass. I probably have one of the early units.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #2,973 of 5,996
That's good to know, because that's not what I'm looking for. I'm interested in creating a VR-audio experience, not duplicating speakers, at least with naturally mic'd stereo, and surround material. I would think that a closed back would facilitate that because the room i'm in would not interfere with the space that i'm creating.

Yeah, that's what I'd thought about pairing them with a sub too. I've been following the mess that the Realizer pre-order became for a few years now, but stopped reading that thread 6 months ago. I'm a Linux/diy person when it comes to computers, and I'm thinking that I can do all that the Realizer does from my own computer, but that's off-topic.
I found that the MySphere are much better suited to what you are describing, I used them for gaming and nothing else comes close, not the SR1A or even the HD800 I am using now. You should give them a run, 3.2 for SS amping and 3.1 for tubes.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,974 of 5,996
Does anybody have both the Stealth and the ThieAudion Monarch MkII? I have the latter and I'm not sure if it makes sense to invest in the Stealth and all the source components... to strictly regarding the sound quality, how do these compare?

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,975 of 5,996
Does anybody have both the Stealth and the ThieAudion Monarch MkII? I have the latter and I'm not sure if it makes sense to invest in the Stealth and all the source components... to strictly regarding the sound quality, how do these compare?
I had the Monarch mkii for about a week. Both sounds pretty similar tbh and if you are more of mobile listener, I would say skip the Stealth.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #2,976 of 5,996
I am on my 2nd pair of Stealth and the Sub-bass is much better than the 1st pair I had.......not sure if this is a unit variation or what but the difference is significant (immediately identifiable) and cup placement independent which the 1st set required the cups to ride higher for better bass. Amp is the Ferrum Stack same as before.
Has it been burned in? I got more sub bass on a fresh unit vs the store demo that's been broken in.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,977 of 5,996
This has nothing to do with the Stealth and everything to do with your chain and power connections. The Stealth is just playing what's being fed to it.
Yes. That's why I said 'it can come off sibilant.' It may appear to be sibilant but it's not and it's just the chain and radio interference that's making it so.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #2,978 of 5,996
Oh Resolve actually published a list. This list exactly illustrates how a high noise floor and an 'ok' transport can result in placing of the headphones in his post.

https://forum.headphones.com/t/resolves-headphone-ranking-list/16052

For example, having the Susvara for a few weeks absolutely ruined the LCD 4 for me. I always have the wifi and my phone off during listening sessions while my partner has her phone on. When she left to do errands, the 4 actually sounded really smooth and superb and I actually preferred it over the Susvara (+1 phone turned on). I didn't have the Susvara anymore on this round but it is expected to also scale in smoothness when the phones are turned off but I doubt it'll be of the same delta as the LCD4. When my partner arrived home, the LCD4 was back to its shouty peaky self. The Stealth can come off sibilant when wifi and power strips on the same leg are on.

Even trying to isolate noise while his wifi is off !
JDQ372D.gif

Evan walkin into his listening room.
mZx5Eng.gif

Evan laughing because he knows I'm just playin !
:laughing: :gs1000smile:

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,979 of 5,996

That's pretty concerning for a $4k headphone to have such differences between units. Early or not, no HP at that price point should have such variation.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #2,981 of 5,996
That's pretty concerning for a $4k headphone to have such differences between units. Early or not, no HP at that price point should have such variation.
To be clear I am not saying it is unit variation just that it is a possible explanation.

This unit has over 100 hours on it, the original had around ½ that when I got them. I had a few gripes with this headphone originally that encouraged me to let them go and one of those was the sub-bass (i.e., lack of, needing proper seal - I wear glasses at my desk - I am not shaving my beard for sub-bass) but I will also say the headband being a bit loose fitting on the 1st set is a better fit on this set also, that was another of my complaints. Both units were preowned before I got them so I can not attest to their treatment before.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,982 of 5,996
They'll only get better as they break in! Glad you liked them.

One thing @Currawong brings up is how detailed these headphones are. I don't know how that doesn't get more recognition. They're bringing out details I've missed on my Susvara and Abyss even. They're more detailed in the midrange than either of those headphones in my experience. I've never heard more vocal nuance, breathing, and lip noises in the vocals than I have on these. It's stunning.
The Stealth are indeed very detailed. I didn't feel they had an edge over the Susvara in that department from my auditions, but I've never owned them, so I'll defer. If you want detail, you should really check out estats! For closed backs, though, nothing I've heard challenges the Stealth for resolution.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #2,983 of 5,996
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,984 of 5,996
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #2,985 of 5,996
Looks like M17 + Stealth is the ultimate "movable" duo. Congrats!

I am also amazed by the result of the M17 + Sennheiser IE900 ...
With the M17 + DCA Stealth in Enhanced Headphone mode as clearly the absolute portable reference, I now want to give a try to the Vision Ears EXT with M17 (I hope to push the type of results of the IE 900 to the next level with a significant step in high mids and high frequencies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back