Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,941 of 6,033
Stealth arrived one day early :heart_eyes:
Just an hour with it out of M17 in desktop mode (running at 70/75 out of 120 even on Jazz but I am a low volume listener).
I'll clock more time with it but let's just say I am so happy with my purchase, stepping into the headphone game after spending boatloads on IEMs...

I'll just say this : Stealth is so effortless and lifelike, music just flows and it makes itself forgotten on your head... in love with the mids...also, I don't get the whole "no bass" thing, it's not a basshead headphone for sure but I find bass has beautiful textures and a very high sense of realism to it and decent slam too.
Welcome to the world of realism. :) I always give the same example about the bass. It is like increasing the the bass palette. Like going from 16 shades of red to 256 shades of red, if you think in colors.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,942 of 6,033
Welcome to the world of realism. :) I always give the same example about the bass. It is like increasing the the bass palette. Like going from 16 shades of red to 256 shades of red, if you think in colors.
Yeah that's absolutely what it does and even better than IE900 which is maybe the best IEM doing that

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,943 of 6,033
Just an hour with it out of M17 in desktop mode (running at 70/75 out of 120 even on Jazz but I am a low volume listener).
I'll clock more time with it but let's just say I am so happy with my purchase, stepping into the headphone game after spending boatloads on IEMs...
Nice. Yea and it can benefit with some break in. What kind of psu are you doing on the 12vdc? Edit: oh it's in ur sig. Ifi elite.

Yes, anyone saying it lacks bass has a high noise floor chain.

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,944 of 6,033
Nice. Yea and it can benefit with some break in. What kind of psu are you doing on the 12vdc? Edit: oh it's in ur sig. Ifi elite.
Yes, anyone saying it lacks bass has a high noise floor chain.
Yep iFi Audio Power Elite with Supanova cable on top

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #2,945 of 6,033
been in this hobby for a while, but not sure what “high noise floor chain” means. Is this an chain with an audible hiss for low sensitivity headphones

I’m already a little regretful about the Stealth purchase. I have a WA7 3rd Gen at home, a Cayin N6ii with R01 on the go, a Chord Mojo, and a Lotoo S2. I suspect this is a piece of equipment that may only sound good with the WA7. Not exactly what I want from a portable open back.

Need to remember that the only judge of these things is my ears with my equipment.

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,946 of 6,033
been in this hobby for a while, but not sure what “high noise floor chain” means. Is this an chain with an audible hiss for low sensitivity headphones
It's not audible. You can hear it by how low the bass and sub bass hits. This is exactly expressed by most YT reviewers who said the Stealth has a weak bass. Currawong is in the clear as he hasn't posted his yet. 🤣 This is also why it didn't get good impressions in canjam. A weak noise floor can also come off too punchy especially with Focal cans. This is also expressed when people rave that the Susvara sounds like speakers when on speaker amps. Except that the drivers in the Susvara is only an inch away from the ear and is giving the effect of speakers 1.5 meters away. Even speakers don't sound like speakers if you put your ear up to it. This is also why Susvara owners are sporting speaker amps. To fight the noise floor. Also why they are frying the cans.

Edit: the Stealth has really accurate thx Atmos level sub bass, bass and mid bass. To say otherwise reflects the weak noise floor of the chain.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #2,947 of 6,033
Yep iFi Audio Power Elite with Supanova cable on top
If you aren't behind a line conditioner, you can try a 12v powerbank with a good dc cable. It can have a lower noise floor. My Elite is behind a custom line conditioner so it performs better than a powerbank on the sub bass. Check the difference on the two vids.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,948 of 6,033
If you aren't behind a line conditioner, you can try a 12v powerbank with a good dc cable. It can have a lower noise floor. My Elite is behind a custom line conditioner so it performs better than a powerbank on the sub bass. Check the difference on the two vids.
Nice but I think the noise floor is quite superb, power Elite is rated at 1μV, Supanova on top bring 40dB noice cancelling I don't know if it's as good as a power conditionner too little experience in the matter... for me, probably overkill in fact Nova would have been enough.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,949 of 6,033
Nice but I think the noise floor is quite superb, power Elite is rated at 1μV, Supanova on top bring 40dB noice cancelling I don't know if it's as good as a power conditionner too little experience in the matter... for me, probably overkill in fact Nova would have been enough.
Yep. I use it and all of em still has something to gain greatly with a line conditioner. I forget the supanova has an inline purifier so that puts you ahead of many other setups. Yea the 1uv noise is just about internal noise but little about noise rejection from mains, but the purifier of the supanova does that but there's still ways to go. And based on my experience, the powerbank can still be ahead. It's only when I started using silver cables and a heavier duty line conditioner that it exceeds the powerbank. And the price difference is like 12 fold. Lol.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,950 of 6,033

I'll just say this : Stealth is so effortless and lifelike, music just flows and it makes itself forgotten on your head... in love with the mids...also, I don't get the whole "no bass" thing, it's not a basshead headphone for sure but I find bass has beautiful textures and a very high sense of realism to it and decent slam too.
They'll only get better as they break in! Glad you liked them.

One thing @Currawong brings up is how detailed these headphones are. I don't know how that doesn't get more recognition. They're bringing out details I've missed on my Susvara and Abyss even. They're more detailed in the midrange than either of those headphones in my experience. I've never heard more vocal nuance, breathing, and lip noises in the vocals than I have on these. It's stunning.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,951 of 6,033
I love my stealth, the main disadvantage is that I cannot sing along with them because I cannot hear myself and it gets weird. Other than that I love the way they present music and the comfort is good for long term listening, I like that they don't feel closed so I don't feel claustrophobic while wearing them.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,952 of 6,033
They'll only get better as they break in! Glad you liked them.

One thing @Currawong brings up is how detailed these headphones are. I don't know how that doesn't get more recognition. They're bringing out details I've missed on my Susvara and Abyss even. They're more detailed in the midrange than either of those headphones in my experience. I've never heard more vocal nuance, breathing, and lip noises in the vocals than I have on these. It's stunning.
Yes. It's the only headphones where I can hear the room in the track. Not even triple flanged etymotics can do that.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,953 of 6,033
@ra990 I am sure they will, absolutely no regret worth every penny!
I am in love with the mids but really the overall presentation is just so natural and lifelike...

As I go from albums I am just stunned sitting in utter joy with a big smile and I look forward to a meetup tomorrow where I'll have a few people audition...
also someone is coming with the Abyss 1266 TC so this will be interesting...

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #2,954 of 6,033
The beautiful choice I face at the beginning of every work day...

PXL_20211229_190135440.jpg

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,955 of 6,033
Can someone make a meaningful comparison between the Stealth and the Raal SRA-1, at least from 30hz up? I realize that their very different animals, but how does the detail, sound stage and speed compare? I would pair the SRA-1 with a sub, but i'm concerned about getting the timing right.

Would the Stealth be a good headphone for home studio use? I like the idea of being able to use the same headphone for recording, mixing, and mastering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back