Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #2,506 of 5,994
What happens then? New flagship closed or open? since you mentioned both types

Sorry but that would be too early to say more about that 😉

NOMAX

PS.have a great time with the Stealth....its a remarkable Headphone 👍

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #2,507 of 5,994
The Stealth is soundwise an absolutely masterpiece.
I bought it out of interest but don't thought it is so good.
Out of my Niimbus US4 it produces outstanding bass response when you find the right position of the ear cups. The sound is very very position depending. Not to the grade of Abyss but close.
Well done, Dan!

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #2,509 of 5,994
I don't know what could be a new flagship closed on the market since the DCA Stealth came out ... the two only thing that could be done are :
-> to make such headphone much more affordable ...... less than a 1.000$ (VAT included)
-> to make such planar-dynamic much easier to drive with more than 100 Db/mw sensitivity.

I was hesitating to buy the Stealth as I was thinking such price is just crazy for a closed headphone (though I already thought the Ultrasone Ed 15 Veritas at 3 000$ was already crazy) => but now, even on the way I prefer, by very far, to use mostly the Stealth than any other IEM (Z1R, IE900 or Xelento) or closed Headphones (Z7M2, Ed15 Veritas), though it's a real pain to cary a portable amp like Less BX2+ to enjoy the Stealth fully.
It seems maybe the "Meze Audio Liric Closed" is on that good way, though I am not sure if it can really offer as clean and fast low impacts as the Stealth can provide.
If you head over to the Liric thread, it's pretty much 100% positive reviews at this point. People who hated the Stealth love it. Especially for the missing "Slam" and dynamics. A lot of people would take that over slightly better technicalities. Depends on the genres you listen to i guess. It's also easy to drive and half the price.
There's also the Abyss closed back coming soon, and i'd expect Focal also have something in development, though it's most likely open.
Not sure which brand @Nomax is associated with though :p

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #2,510 of 5,994
If you head over to the Liric thread, it's pretty much 100% positive reviews at this point. People who hated the Stealth love it. Especially for the missing "Slam" and dynamics. A lot of people would take that over slightly better technicalities. Depends on the genres you listen to i guess. It's also easy to drive and half the price.
There's also the Abyss closed back coming soon, and i'd expect Focal also have something in development, though it's most likely open.
Not sure which brand @Nomax is associated with though :p

Maybe, it's probably an excellent closed back headphone .... but some on another forum are talking about the Liric " The Stealth has the slightest bit more top end sparkle and just a little bit less closed back bloom to bass" which means a "no-go" for me as, the Stealth is already a bit behind my HEDDphone concerning low and ultra low frequencies with a bit less fast and clear impacts, I would even say more muddy.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,511 of 5,994
Maybe, it's probably an excellent closed back headphone .... but some on another forum are talking about the Liric " The Stealth has the slightest bit more top end sparkle and just a little bit less closed back bloom to bass" which means a no go for me as, the Stealth is already a bit behind my HEDDphone concerning low and ultra low frequencies with a bit less fast and clear impacts.
Without wishing to jump in, I think anyone who has compared the Stealth and the Liric will confirm that the latter has significantly more sparkle in the top end, to say nothing of the other aspects you mention. Indeed, I'd say one of the dominant aspects of the Liric is a crisp top end.

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #2,512 of 5,994
Without wishing to jump in, I think anyone who has compared the Stealth and the Liric will confirm that the latter has significantly more sparkle in the top end, to say nothing of the other aspects you mention. Indeed, I'd say one of the dominant aspects of the Liric is a crisp top end.
That’s my quote above and to clean up what I intended, the Stealth is more top end of the FR-detailed than the Liric through the Spring 3 / AHB2 and the Spring 3 / Ferrum Stack both. That’s what I meant by more top end sparkle (cleaner highs in Stealth - see more refined comment below). The Liric has more resonance in the bass which sounds like bass bloom to where as the stealth is almost sound in a vacuum chamber like void of resonance in the lows which gives the impression to my ears of less bass.

I prefer the fit, comfort, and price of the Liric to the Stealth but the Stealth sounds more refined. I’d consider the Stealth akin to the Susvara and the Liric akin to the Utopia if that analogy makes sense.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,513 of 5,994
That is also very obvious in the Elite measurements. There is a HUGE >12 kHz bump / shimmer. If Liric is any similar to Elite (as I understand, it is) it is not surprising:

11575412.jpg

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,514 of 5,994
That is also very obvious in the Elite measurements. There is a HUGE >12 kHz bump / shimmer. If Liric is any similar to Elite (as I understand, it is) it is not surprising:

11575412.jpg
Yup, that looks about consistent with what I'm hearing in the top end. It'll be interesting to see an actual FR for the Liric. The overall FR also tallies with what I hear in the Liric, though I'd expect a slightly more elevated sub-bass than on the Elite with a more linear mid-range.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,515 of 5,994
I don't know what could be a new flagship closed on the market since the DCA Stealth came out ... the two only thing that could be done are :
-> to make such headphone much more affordable ...... less than a 1.000$ (VAT included)
-> to make such planar-dynamic much easier to drive with more than 100 Db/mw sensitivity.

I was hesitating to buy the Stealth as I was thinking such price is just crazy for a closed headphone (though I already thought the Ultrasone Ed 15 Veritas at 3 000$ was already crazy) => but now, even on the way I prefer, by very far, to use mostly the Stealth than any other IEM (Z1R, IE900 or Xelento) or closed Headphones (Z7M2, Ed15 Veritas), though it's a real pain to cary a portable amp like Less BX2+ to enjoy the Stealth fully.
It seems maybe the "Meze Audio Liric Closed" is on that good way, though I am not sure if it can really offer as clean and fast low impacts as the Stealth can provide.
Competition is good for us consumers. I think Dan must have put a lot of resources, time and effort in making this unique tuning system for Stealth, thus the price. I might only change it _in the future_ if there is a more efficient version of Stealth, otherwise it is my endgame at the moment. I cannot think of a closed back headphone being any better in tuning, sound and physical design than Stealth. For me, it is that good.

By the way, Liric also looks like a nice design, though I prefer the foldable design of Stealth. But, yeah, double the price should bring something more on the table. :) One more HP for my "should audition" list. but with HEKse and Stealth, I am well covered.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,516 of 5,994
"I might only change it _in the future_ if there is a more efficient version of Stealth, otherwise it is my endgame at the moment. I cannot think of a closed back headphone being any better in tuning, sound and physical design than Stealth. For me, it is that good."
+1 for a more efficient version, it is damn near on the level of the Susvara in power needs while also resolution both! I agree that it is the best sounding closed back I have listened to and the more I listen to other headphones the more I appreciate what it does with the Meta material and such a controlled soundstage.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,517 of 5,994
I’d consider the Stealth akin to the Susvara and the Liric akin to the Utopia if that analogy makes sense.
I feel like this sums up perfectly all of the reviews up to this point. Sounds good perfect to me, as i prefer the Utopia to everything else i've heard, despite it slightly lagging behind from a technicalities pov.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #2,518 of 5,994
As stated there's more leakage via the pads than the port.
Thank you, I'm glad you are happy with my little test! It was fun to knock together.

I am satisfied with Stealth's isolation and leakage and believe others should be too.
The acid test is if your spouse can sleep in the same bed while you are listening to your tunes at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back