Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,537 of 6,001
Don't forget it was just a first look and initial impressions with 3 days burn in. He needs time to go deep on it yet and his thoughts may change with time, burn in and equipment/chains.
Yes. That's why I mentioned that the Stealth isn't hard to drive. He mentioned the Hugo 2 can drive the Susvara when it adequately could.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #2,538 of 6,001
I just dropped a first impression video for Stealth:

Enjoy!

Take off your glasses 😉

NOMAX

Ps.i have mesured Stealth at Austrian Audio Headquaters (formerly Akg Vienna) ....and that shows noticable differences also in the measurements with glasses and also if anybody is a beard wearer :)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #2,539 of 6,001
I just dropped a first impression video for Stealth:

Enjoy!

Interesting though, as I never thought that Stealth has sibilance. Of course with the wrong recording, especially metal and/or harsh cymbal mix it will sound harsh and sibilant, as its upper mids and lower treble is not recessed like the Audeze headphones. Frankly, if it would have recessed treble and upper mids, I probably wouldn't buy the Stealth, as it wouldn't sound as natural and clear as it is now.

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #2,541 of 6,001
Interesting though, as I never thought that Stealth has sibilance. Of course with the wrong recording, especially metal and/or harsh cymbal mix it will sound harsh and sibilant, as its upper mids and lower treble is not recessed like the Audeze headphones. Frankly, if it would have recessed treble and upper mids, I probably wouldn't buy the Stealth, as it wouldn't sound as natural and clear as it is now.
I've struck a couple of tracks that have a tiny bit of sibilance, bit they are few and far between. Also noticed it a hair more since moving to the benchmark stack (more resolution and clarity from the dac?). But again depends on the track.

Also, could require more burn in still. That did have a noticable effect for me iirc.
Plus it's my opinion most people have got to put them to their heads for at least a few solid hours to get use to stealth too.

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #2,542 of 6,001
I got to upgrade the cable to solid silver occ and it made for more brightness and treble extension, bringing towards more neutral and having the same quality as the Susvara on stock cable. Despite having more brightness, it has zero sibilance or etch. Details in that region is more stretched and spaced out. The the first strike starts from a smaller point and spreads out with amazing gradients on the decay, which sells the sense of space and scale in the recording. This gives me the capacity to play louder and longer with less fatigue.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,543 of 6,001
Take off your glasses 😉

NOMAX

Ps.i have mesured Stealth at Austrian Audio Headquaters (formerly Akg Vienna) ....and that shows noticable differences also in the measurements with glasses and also if anybody is a beard wearer :)
Please elaborate on the effects of a beard.

My beard is as mighty as Odin himself, but I never thought about how this impacts the sound/seal of headphones

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2,544 of 6,001
I got to upgrade the cable to solid silver occ and it made for more brightness and treble extension, bringing towards more neutral and having the same quality as the Susvara on stock cable. Despite having more brightness, it has zero sibilance or etch. Details in that region is more stretched and spaced out. The the first strike starts from a smaller point and spreads out with amazing gradients on the decay, which sells the sense of space and scale in the recording. This gives me the capacity to play louder and longer with less fatigue.
So are you saying that the stealth as a closed back approaches the Susvara when well amped and with a better cable? Is there ANY part of the sound scape that the Stealth beats Susvara?

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,546 of 6,001
I’m not shaving my beard for audio, please do not start this trend!! 🧔🏻‍♀️
Please elaborate on the effects of a beard.

My beard is as mighty as Odin himself, but I never thought about how this impacts the sound/seal of headphones

My face started itching just with the talk of a beard. :p

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,547 of 6,001
My face started itching just with the talk of a beard. :p
In all honesty I could genuinely see beards (or long bushy sideburns) to be an issue with the Stealth seal and bass response. My glasses (I have many pairs I tried with different thickness of arms) definitely impacted the bass impact. So basically saying that Mr. Clean or Tim the Tatman would likely get the most impactful sound fit with them.

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #2,548 of 6,001
Let's summarize. To be worthy of the DCA Stealth, you should ideally meet the following criteria - my top 5, to get the list started:

Minimum specifications to qualify for DCA Stealth ownership (aka worthiness checklist, to be validated by authorized DCA dealers)

1. Perfect ears - why else bother?
2. Perfect eyes - no glasses!
3. Female - less issues with beards or stubbles
4. Reasonably affluent - $4k for the headphone + same for matching amp
5. Austrian citizenship (or adjacent countries) - highest known concentration (relative, %) to date of satisfied DCA Stealth owners

I am sure there is more - who has the next 5 criteria?

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #2,549 of 6,001
Jim: if you do not want to upgrade, do NOT listen to Stealth on any Wells Audio amps.

My true mobile rig is iPhone-Diablo-stealth (no grain or distortion nonsense listed before, I swear this guy is on FB as well constantly rambling on about distortion and chain etc) low gain can def max out my ears and give most everything you can possibly get in a truly walk-around rig.

For outside listening I go iPhone-Diablo-eleven audio Broadway balanced. This enlarges the soundstage, deepens the blacks and adds bass quality/definition. Highly recommended for a full battery around house mobile rig.

For desktop I’m going PC-TT2-Wells Milo. The TT2 is better than the around the house setup but adding the Milo gives a very Tube-like warmth and expanse of soundstage and creaminess to vocals that I cannot choose to go without. Even while adding a noise floor which dissapears during songs I would take that analog-ness over the TT2 Any day and My only upgrade in future will be a reference head trip 2 if ever.

All different, but increasing in quality, for my money I think that under 15,000 usd all in there is not a better setup you can listen to than what I’ve got set up.

****EDIT I would add an Mscaler if my wife hadn’t seen one of my receipts and put a hard line “knock it off” look at me for expanding…..for now mwuhahaha….***

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,550 of 6,001
Let's summarize. To be worthy of the DCA Stealth, you should ideally meet the following criteria - my top 5, to get the list started:

Minimum specifications to qualify for DCA Stealth ownership (aka worthiness checklist, to be validated by authorized DCA dealers)

1. Perfect ears - why else bother?
2. Perfect eyes - no glasses!
3. Female - less issues with beards or stubbles
4. Reasonably affluent - $4k for the headphone + same for matching amp
5. Austrian citizenship (or adjacent countries) - highest known concentration (relative, %) to date of satisfied DCA Stealth owners

I am sure there is more - who has the next 5 criteria?
That was a perfect post mate!
Now can you find a photo online of someone that meets the requirements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back