Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #2,161 of 6,033
Yeah I don't really get why people think it's fair to stealth's sound to TOTL open back cans. If anything, it's a compliment.
It's the fate of any TOTL closed backs, the Z1R also got subjected to this as well, it's also expected of them because of their price point, of which the Stealth is like 2x of the Z1R so expectation is higher

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #2,162 of 6,033
Could you try the Dx300 Cradle to The Grave from Max Richter (Album Hostiles) and tell us if you don't get any clipping in every bass/ultra bass sections between 40" and 1"30" ?
My Stealth is clipping with most of these sections with of my portable amps I own (though they should be all more than 2x1W at 32ohms) even with the Kann Alpha

I also wonder if some of Fiio DAPs with THX amps can pass such difficulty ?

I'm plugged into the Shanling M30 right now an no clipping, but the bass is scary, it rumbles sooooo loooooow I was surprised!

Will try on the DX300

Edit: No clipping on the DX300, but wow, it's like slow giant footsteps that start far and then comes closer and closer and the goes far again. :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #2,163 of 6,033
I'm plugged into the Shanling M30 right now an no clipping, but the bass is scary, it rumbles sooooo loooooow I was surprised!

Will try on the DX300
That's already a good thing if it's not clipping and not distorted .. just deep rumble probably means the amp can provide enough juice to the Stealth when needed. I didn't expect M30 could manage it, as some were already telling with the HEDDphone One the M30 could drive it properly. It seems HEDDphone one and DCA Stealth are in the same league for hard to drive headphones... unfortunately I have chosen both as my preferred Open back and Closed back :beyersmile: :beyersmile: :beyersmile:

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,164 of 6,033
That's already a good thing if it's not clipping and not distorted .. just deep rumble probably means the amp can provide enough juice to the Stealth when needed. I didn't expect M30 could manage it, as some were already telling with the HEDDphone One the M30 could drive it properly. It seems HEDDphone one and DCA Stealth are in the same league for hard to drive headphones... unfortunately I have chosen both as my preferred Open back and Closed back :beyersmile: :beyersmile: :beyersmile:

Shanling really do need to release more modular components as promised, I'm waiting for the upgraded AMP part. They should also tighten up their applications/OS development. Otherwise, it's a fantastic device. :)

I knew the Stealth paired well with the Chord stack, but I'm glad that it likes these two too. :beyersmile:

20211013_141907[1681].jpg

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #2,165 of 6,033
Did another brief A/B of stealth vs aeon2 opens today.

The differences are subtler than I thought they would be between the two on tracks played but I observed a substantially wider soundstage and clearer mids/high end. Bass is tight deep and technical on stealth but "bassier" and harsher in the top end on the aeons

Stealth wins for earcup size and aeon wins on cup depth.

I'm leaning towards keeping them both presently

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2,166 of 6,033
Edit: No clipping on the DX300, but wow, it's like slow giant footsteps that start far and then comes closer and closer and the goes far again. :)

I am surprised of it ... but that's an interesting answer.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,167 of 6,033
I am surprised of it ... but that's an interesting answer.

I think it's because iBasso implements two separate batteries/power supplies, one for the AMP section of the device and another one for the other "digital" interfaces. This way, it's able to keep up with the current and voltage swing requirements better than other DAPs.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #2,168 of 6,033
I think it's because iBasso implements two separate batteries/power supplies, one for the AMP section of the device and another one for the other "digital" interfaces. This way, it's able to keep up with the current and voltage swing requirements better than other DAPs.
With that signature load of gear, you can start your own alternative CanJam. 😁

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,169 of 6,033
I'm still in the return period for these....but, they're a keeper.

If your playlist is all metal and similar genres, these are a hard pass, especially with no EQ.

However, for everything else, the Stealth are fantastic. I've felt like I'm wearing a new pair of glasses, this is a tool that gave me the ability to listen to my music in a different way especially when compared to the other available closed backs that I have. The isolation and blackness of the background that is provided by the AMTS used inside the cups are a new experience for me, noise cancelling headsets do not even compare. It's like a well treated and dampened room, you'll hear EVERYTHING.

I noticed parts in music and recordings that were not there before, even while listening on the Abyss TCs. When compared to the Verite Closed and the Z1R, the Stealth is on the other end of the spectrum, it's not as lush, but more accurate. If you're looking for a warm & cosy experience, these are not it. If you're looking for clarity, accuracy and vocals, the Stealth will serve you well. I'm absolutely loving how wind and string instruments are represented along with the vocals. Pianos and violins are hard to convey accurately through headphones, but here they are played back with such detail that on some tracks I stop what I am doing and just listen to the music. It's such an experience.

Bass is there, but not as exaggerated as other closed backs. It definitely has more texture than the VC, Z1R and the Fostex, though. If you're looking for a bass filled fun closed back, the Stealth is not for you. If you're looking for accurate bass that is there when called for (especially that low low sub bass rumble) the Stealth will gladly provide you with what you need. Of course, this could be solved with some EQ too based on your preferences.

I've thrown many genres at them, Jazz, Metal (and all other sub genres), Movies & Games soundtracks, Classical, etc and they mainly lacked the 'bite' for Metal. The others were a fantastic experience and I noticed that time simply melts away. Where did the last 6 hours go? Oh and my playlist is hectic, one second I'm listening to “Prelude Op.28 No.4 in E minor” by Chopin and the next it's EuroBeat's Deja Vu (don't judge me). :)

In the end, it'll be a matter of preferences as always. Only listen to metal and fast guitars and don't want to EQ; you might be disappointed. For other genres, the Stealth does something new in the field of closed backs and it took me a while to pin point exactly why. And once I understood its strengths and weaknesses, my enjoyment went up. Of course if you do not need a closed back, you'll probably find many other headphones that will provide you with a fantastic experience too.

Oh, the Z1R, Verite Closed and the Fostex are here to stay as each one does something different and special that only it as a tool could provide. The Stealth is the more detailed and accurate of the bunch.

Try before you buy, temper your expectations, try out other genres and you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,170 of 6,033
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2,171 of 6,033
Thanks, this definitely buries my interest in Stealth... :sweat:
Keep in mind they do respond it's pretty well to EQ, so if you don't mind doing that, they still aren't GREAT for metal, but I still think you could do worse, lol. Either way though, it's definitely a weak point and is a pretty valid reason to skip by the stealth.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,172 of 6,033
I'm still in the return period for these....but, they're a keeper.

If your playlist is all metal and similar genres, these are a hard pass, especially with no EQ.

However, for everything else, the Stealth are fantastic. I've felt like I'm wearing a new pair of glasses, this is a tool that gave me the ability to listen to my music in a different way especially when compared to the other available closed backs that I have. The isolation and blackness of the background that is provided by the AMTS used inside the cups are a new experience for me, noise cancelling headsets do not even compare. It's like a well treated and dampened room, you'll hear EVERYTHING.

I noticed parts in music and recordings that were not there before, even while listening on the Abyss TCs. When compared to the Verite Closed and the Z1R, the Stealth is on the other end of the spectrum, it's not as lush, but more accurate. If you're looking for a warm & cosy experience, these are not it. If you're looking for clarity, accuracy and vocals, the Stealth will serve you well. I'm absolutely loving how wind and string instruments are represented along with the vocals. Pianos and violins are hard to convey accurately through headphones, but here they are played back with such detail that on some tracks I stop what I am doing and just listen to the music. It's such an experience.

Bass is there, but not as exaggerated as other closed backs. It definitely has more texture than the VC, Z1R and the Fostex, though. If you're looking for a bass filled fun closed back, the Stealth is not for you. If you're looking for accurate bass that is there when called for (especially that low low sub bass rumble) the Stealth will gladly provide you with what you need. Of course, this could be solved with some EQ too based on your preferences.

I've thrown many genres at them, Jazz, Metal (and all other sub genres), Movies & Games soundtracks, Classical, etc and they mainly lacked the 'bite' for Metal. The others were a fantastic experience and I noticed that time simply melts away. Where did the last 6 hours go? Oh and my playlist is hectic, one second I'm listening to “Prelude Op.28 No.4 in E minor” by Chopin and the next it's EuroBeat's Deja Vu (don't judge me). :)

In the end, it'll be a matter of preferences as always. Only listen to metal and fast guitars and don't want to EQ; you might be disappointed. For other genres, the Stealth does something new in the field of closed backs and it took me a while to pin point exactly why. And once I understood its strengths and weaknesses, my enjoyment went up. Of course if you do not need a closed back, you'll probably find many other headphones that will provide you with a fantastic experience too.

Oh, the Z1R, Verite Closed and the Fostex are here to stay as each one does something different and special that only it as a tool could provide. The Stealth is the more detailed and accurate of the bunch.

Try before you buy, temper your expectations, try out other genres and you might be pleasantly surprised. :)
It is also good for fusion. I was listening to Allan Holdsworth today, especially the Sixteen Men of Tain, it was an amazing listening session. I am really looking forward to the open Stealth with this tuning technology.

Metal most of the time needs a V headphone. Also the Harman target upper-mids might be too strong for some metal recordings. One can easily just lower the 1 kHz to 9 kHz HT hump by 3-4 dB, lower the lower mids and you have great metal headphones.

Another method is using the Expanse3D VST with master preset, set the depth to deep and increase the height. Again you have greeeat Metal headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2,173 of 6,033
Did another brief A/B of stealth vs aeon2 opens today.

The differences are subtler than I thought they would be between the two on tracks played but I observed a substantially wider soundstage and clearer mids/high end. Bass is tight deep and technical on stealth but "bassier" and harsher in the top end on the aeons

Stealth wins for earcup size and aeon wins on cup depth.

I'm leaning towards keeping them both presently
What’s the difference in ear cup size?
I thought they were the same?

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,174 of 6,033
With that signature load of gear, you can start your own alternative CanJam. 😁
yes, there are stores that do not have inventory like he has lol

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #2,175 of 6,033
The Stealth's have improved significantly with 100+ hours. Listening to "The Wall".........whomever stated these don't have "slam" is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back