Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 28, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #677 of 5,996
gee, what does that mean?....a person who listens to chamber music is somehow not your cup of tea?...why may I ask?
It means I have a limited imagination to encompass the person I mentioned aligning with the hype-train for DCA new flagship is all.

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #679 of 5,996
I dont think it is snobbish...I listen to tons of jazz and blues...sinatra bennett etc and also a lot of classic rock...if all I was ever going to listen to was remastered brickwalled poorly recorded metal albums I wouldnt bother buying TOTL HP's to be honest...I get the point that to assume what one listens to is snobbish but not at all wrong in this case...
Here's where I think the snobbishness is at: the assumption of the original post that "audio reviewers SHOULD revolve around acoustic classical music". I won't argue if this is right or wrong, but just want to point our the snobbishness I see from it, and what I think it implies:
Non-classical non-acoustic music are poorly mastered crap that shouldn't be included in an audiophile review for hi-end equipments.

I really don't like this generalization of classical music = good recordings = people should listen to with good equipment and non classical music/pop/rock & roll = back recordings with heavy clipping etc = one should avoid. One could argue that there are way more bad pop/rock recordings than classical ones, but I believe that most head-fiers here enjoy better mixed/mastered pop records more often than not.

Anyways, I think I derailed the conversation here a little too much and I'll stop on this topic. I'm very excited that I'll be able to try the stealth at Canjam next month!

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #680 of 5,996
I love metal, classical (very many similarities among the two), electronic, and retrowave. It's funny but I see a lot of people on band camp that like metal and retrowave/synthwave. Maybe an 80s thing. DCA headphones really excel with electronic music.

Yeah, metal is the most similar genre to modern/contemporary classical music.

I can't bear listening to some types of classical rock, but metal (especially progressive metal?) feels just really familiar to me who grown up with classical music including playing flute in amateur orchestra.

Heavy pyramid balanced sound, wide dynamic range in music (from p to ffff), heavy weight on technicality, complex or mixed metres, not boring, etc., just like listening to modern/contemporary orchestral music.

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #681 of 5,996
Yeah, metal is the most similar genre to modern/contemporary classical music.

I can't bear listening to some types of classical rock, but metal (especially progressive metal?) feels just really familiar to me who grown up with classical music including playing flute in amateur orchestra.

Heavy pyramid balanced sound, wide dynamic range in music (from p to ffff), heavy weight on technicality, complex or mixed metres, not boring, etc., just like listening to modern/contemporary orchestral music.

I was going to say something similar. I took many years of classical piano lessons when I was younger. Metal is similar to classical music for real. Also, I feel, aside from some black metal and lo-fi death metal, metal often has very high quality mixing and mastering. Properly mixed and mastered drums in metal is an amazing 3D experience that I haven’t found with many other genres.

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #685 of 5,996
The funny thing is some classical/choral/orchestral/opera and even some modern jazz recordings are recorded by muppets that don't know what they are doing and slam everything and they sound terrible (in terms of recording quality, and more importantly with en masse recordings, mastering quality, music quality is obviously personal preference.)

In reverse? Some rock or metal albums are actually done very well, and tastefully. Sometimes because they have big budgets, sometimes because they have smart, capable, and talented engineers working on them, sometimes both.

Can do without the music snobbery I suppose, but hey, if it makes you happy and feel superior, you do you.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #686 of 5,996
The funny thing is some classical/choral/orchestral/opera and even some modern jazz recordings are recorded by muppets that don't know what they are doing and slam everything and they sound terrible (in terms of recording quality, and more importantly with en masse recordings, mastering quality, music quality is obviously personal preference.)

In reverse? Some rock or metal albums are actually done very well, and tastefully. Sometimes because they have big budgets, sometimes because they have smart, capable, and talented engineers working on them, sometimes both.

Can do without the music snobbery I suppose, but hey, if it makes you happy and feel superior, you do you.
Hit the nail on the head. Depending on the mastering a genre I don't even like sounds pretty awesome on the gear we use. It truly let's our headphones shine

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #687 of 5,996
I was going to say something similar. I took many years of classical piano lessons when I was younger. Metal is similar to classical music for real. Also, I feel, aside from some black metal and lo-fi death metal, metal often has very high quality mixing and mastering. Properly mixed and mastered drums in metal is an amazing 3D experience that I haven’t found with many other genres.
Thoughts on Ne Obliviscaris? I only dabble in Metal, but they definitely stick out to me as rather sophisticated, musically speaking.

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #688 of 5,996
Thoughts on Ne Obliviscaris? I only dabble in Metal, but they definitely stick out to me as rather sophisticated, musically speaking.
I’m not super into melodic metal, so I haven’t really listened to them that much. I’ll check out some of their albums later though. :beerchug:

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #689 of 5,996
Hit the nail on the head. Depending on the mastering a genre I don't even like sounds pretty awesome on the gear we use. It truly let's our headphones shine
Yeah. Recording/Mastering quality is a nice, easy front to hide behind when it comes to dislike of certain genres, and honestly, plain old musical snobbery. Its more common than you might think sadly, especially in speaker land audiphillia.

I don't get it to be honest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back