Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 29, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #707 of 5,996
If abyss which is based in New York came out and said their TC distortion graph is an intentional watermark to pay tribute to the World Trade Centre I would believe them.
Preach, brethren. No one is listening.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #708 of 5,996
Here's where I think the snobbishness is at: the assumption of the original post that "audio reviewers SHOULD revolve around acoustic classical music". I won't argue if this is right or wrong, but just want to point our the snobbishness I see from it, and what I think it implies:
Non-classical non-acoustic music are poorly mastered crap that shouldn't be included in an audiophile review for hi-end equipments.

I really don't like this generalization of classical music = good recordings = people should listen to with good equipment and non classical music/pop/rock & roll = back recordings with heavy clipping etc = one should avoid. One could argue that there are way more bad pop/rock recordings than classical ones, but I believe that most head-fiers here enjoy better mixed/mastered pop records more often than not.

Anyways, I think I derailed the conversation here a little too much and I'll stop on this topic. I'm very excited that I'll be able to try the stealth at Canjam next month!
I agree. While some of the best recordings ever made are classical, there are many bad recordings as well. Same for Opera. I like Pavorotti recordings, but none of them are top tier.

I wonder if he was trying to say if your system portrays acoustical music correctly, it will then do the same with electronic? Either way, listen to what you like or you will not enjoy it. This is supposed to be enjoyment.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #709 of 5,996
IMO reviewers should just always include a link their full test playlist.
Sometimes songs are mentioned, but only a full list will give a picture of the coverage and indications of how well the experiences may translate to the personal preferences.

Not sure why this is not standard procedure tbh.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #710 of 5,996
IMO reviewers should just always include a link their full test playlist.
Sometimes songs are mentioned, but only a full list will give a picture of the coverage and indications of how well the experiences may translate to the personal preferences.

Not sure why this is not standard procedure tbh.
That. And reviews should include comparisons to competing headphones. All too often that is not the case. And I would like to see more reviews that are downright critical of the product. I hardly see any. Or maybe I am only looking at reviews of really good headphones... :sunglasses: And 3 minute clips on youtube published by headphone retailers ought not be called 'reviews' (which they are in practice). Rant over.. :ksc75smile:

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #711 of 5,996
Clark Griswald wanted to use his Christmas bonus to install a nice swimming pool for his family. I can only dream of spending the entirety of any bonus on these headphones. Because bonuses aren't swimming pool sized money anymore. Yes. Yes imma have to wait.

Kidding aside (ok, so nervously joking about the truth), the existence of patents hopefully means that we'll see some more mid-fi sets that utilizes this new AMTS tech because it really looks like an honest game changer in acoustic technology.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #713 of 5,996
Sorry if I missed it, but how's the sound leakage on these? If I buy them, I will also be using them in office, so just want to be sure the leakage isn't a lot!

Also, I had bought the Aeon Closed back on 2018 but sold it after a year, would I still be open on getting the DCA club discount? I did register but still shows the same price.
I did a short test of this listening at a distance to leakage while my daughter wore them. There is some, and it’s volume dependent of course, and none of the signal is directed out, so anything you hear is what creeps through the pad material at sides and any small gap on the head.

the leakage at medium volumes was inaudible at 6’ behind.

I read the latest review and as to what they said, it’s a super tiny caveat about bass, saying that basically the most bass heavy cans out there make you feel bass in your body (even 1266 I think may JUST pull this off) and that DCA is not overly bassy.

This is definitely the most bass present DCA set built yet and it is definitely fast and not bloated or bleeding where it shouldn’t, but it’s also not going to make your long hair fly up like a competition vehicle.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #714 of 5,996
@mrspeakers

I was wondering about this new technology. I used to have a speaker system for years, and I learned to measure my room. I applied various acoustic elements to my room, measured what they do, so on a certain level I think I have an idea about the acoustics. I managed to sucessfully tame/treat my room above 100Hz. Sadly I had a problem at around 40Hz (standing waves correlating to the size/shape of my room) which I could not cure.

This leads to my question. I knew the problem of standing waves for the lower frequencies, higher up there was ringing/group delay problem, etc... in the information I read thus far these new technology is applied to counter standing waves at higher frequencies? Are there any? I mean the acoustic room treated here is the small chamber formed from the earcushion and our skin. How are the high frequency standing waves? Even ringing...our skin is not a really reflective surface. Would be really interesting to have some insight if it's not secret...

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #715 of 5,996
@mrspeakers

I was wondering about this new technology. I used to have a speaker system for years, and I learned to measure my room. I applied various acoustic elements to my room, measured what they do, so on a certain level I think I have an idea about the acoustics. I managed to sucessfully tame/treat my room above 100Hz. Sadly I had a problem at around 40Hz (standing waves correlating to the size/shape of my room) which I could not cure.

This leads to my question. I knew the problem of standing waves for the lower frequencies, higher up there was ringing/group delay problem, etc... in the information I read thus far these new technology is applied to counter standing waves at higher frequencies? Are there any? I mean the acoustic room treated here is the small chamber formed from the earcushion and our skin. How are the high frequency standing waves? Even ringing...our skin is not a really reflective surface. Would be really interesting to have some insight if it's not secret...

There is another "room" behind the driver - the closed back space. It's made of all hard materials (reflective surfaces).

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #716 of 5,996
There is another "room" behind the driver - the closed back space. It's made of all hard materials (reflective surfaces).
But they are between the transducer and the ear...not behind the transducer and between the housing. Lot of (if not all) closed headphones use there damping. Maybe I did not understood the technology correctly, that's why I asked...

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #717 of 5,996
@mrspeakers

There are plenty of standing waves at high frequencies in headphones due to the wavelengths involved being short and the spaces small. If your room were 1/10 the size you might find your 40hz problem shift to 400 because the wavelngths are shorter. Keep shrinking the room and you get the idea.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #718 of 5,996
There are plenty of standing waves at high frequencies in headphones due to the wavelengths involved being short and the spaces small. If your room were 1/10 the size you might find your 40hz problem shift to 400 because the wavelngths are shorter. Keep shrinking the room and you get the idea.
Thanks

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #719 of 5,996
But they are between the transducer and the ear...not behind the transducer and between the housing. Lot of (if not all) closed headphones use there damping. Maybe I did not understood the technology correctly, that's why I asked...

The stuff that happens behind the driver affects the driver itself and therefore comes through it and to the front.

Think of a wave of water that hits a wall. It bounces off and part of it comes back to where it came from.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #720 of 5,996
I did a short test of this listening at a distance to leakage while my daughter wore them. There is some, and it’s volume dependent of course, and none of the signal is directed out, so anything you hear is what creeps through the pad material at sides and any small gap on the head.

the leakage at medium volumes was inaudible at 6’ behind.

I read the latest review and as to what they said, it’s a super tiny caveat about bass, saying that basically the most bass heavy cans out there make you feel bass in your body (even 1266 I think may JUST pull this off) and that DCA is not overly bassy.

This is definitely the most bass present DCA set built yet and it is definitely fast and not bloated or bleeding where it shouldn’t, but it’s also not going to make your long hair fly up like a competition vehicle.
Thank you for testing. Could you also comment on the Stealth’s isolation from external noise? How does it compare to your Ether CX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back