Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #3,226 of 5,996
Not the absolute best at describing differences, but the best I can say is that the elites are a bit thicker/fuller in sound, a bit more holographic and open. I do like them more than the Empyreans which had a bit of a treble spike I didnt like and the bass was a bit bloated. The elite is generally what I listen to when there isn't much noise going on and I can enjoy them without trying to tune out outside noise. If you can order them from somewhere with a decent return policy I'd give them a shot. I think soundnews.net considered them like a lesser Susvara in terms of presentation. Whether others will agree with that or not I dont know(never heard the susvara) as the elites are just as polarizing to those that have/had the empyreans as the Stealth seems to be to people.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #3,227 of 5,996
Not the absolute best at describing differences, but the best I can say is that the elites are a bit thicker/fuller in sound, a bit more holographic and open. I do like them more than the Empyreans which had a bit of a treble spike I didnt like and the bass was a bit bloated. The elite is generally what I listen to when there isn't much noise going on and I can enjoy them without trying to tune out outside noise. If you can order them from somewhere with a decent return policy I'd give them a shot. I think soundnews.net considered them like a lesser Susvara in terms of presentation. Whether others will agree with that or not I dont know(never heard the susvara) as the elites are just as polarizing to those that have/had the empyreans as the Stealth seems to be to people.
That was a worthy effort at describing them :raised_hands:

I've read the (very detailed) Soundnews Susvara review (never heard those either). From what I can tell, the Elites don't technically excel at any one thing, but their overall presentation, their gestalt, really appeals to some people. Your description is helpful.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #3,228 of 5,996
Love Passion for Sound, but he does what everyone else seems to want to do and thats compare the stealth to top tier open backs. I also have the Meze Elites and enjoy them just as much as the Stealth. I do wonder about his pairing though. I'm running the stealth through a holo may > soloist GT and love them when I need that closed back isolation. I tried them a bit through a A90 and I will admit the stealth was painful on some tracks and made me want to return the Stealth. While I dont think a holo may and soloist GT is a super clean setup, it definitely tamed the glare from the topping and I'm ok with the fact that I just might prefer some distortion. Ive always wanted to get a singxer as a backup amp incase its ever needed as some seem to much prefer it over the A90 for a mid level amp

For what its worth, the Stealth was running balanced on the may/soloist gt while a90 was unbalanced but whether that makes a difference I dont think it should.

The only other pricier closed backs ive tried was the ZMF Eikon (yeah its much cheaper than the Stealth) and the Stealth is way more enjoyable for me.
A90 only has a smps as a PSU so it's understandable and expected with the glare.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #3,230 of 5,996
Looking for a TOTL headphone for my EDM listening still (1266 would be it but for fitment issues) and the Stealth out of the WA33 might just be the ticket. These are getting better in the bottom with each listen.
Possible to need a colored amp since EDM has lower dynamic range and might be too bombarding on a Stealth. Maybeee....

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #3,231 of 5,996
Looking for a TOTL headphone for my EDM listening still (1266 would be it but for fitment issues) and the Stealth out of the WA33 might just be the ticket. These are getting better in the bottom with each listen.
Forget Stealth...

Jan 10, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #3,235 of 5,996
Love Passion for Sound, but he does what everyone else seems to want to do and thats compare the stealth to top tier open backs.
Other than the ambient leakage, what is the difference between an OB and a CB? That the CBs have the techical challenges like resonances, distortion to deal with, at least in more severe amounts? These are dealt with on Stealth. So I actually see no problem in this comparison.

But there is another issue. That is the extremely high air frequencies, which is there to give a false detail impression:

1641799536555.png

For any healthy comparison between any HP and another one with unnaturally and extremely boosted air frequencies, I would first match that region (e.g. tame down the Elite air frequencies), and then compare them.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #3,236 of 5,996
Other than the ambient leakage, what is the difference between an OB and a CB? That the CBs have the techical challanges like resonances, distortion to deal with? These are dealt with on Stealth. So I actually see no problem in this comparison.

But there is another issue. That is the extremely high air frequencies, which is there to give a false detail impression:

For any healthy comparison between any HP and another one with unnaturally and extremely boosted air frequencies, I would first match that region (e.g. tame down the Elite air frequencies), and then compare them.

The problem I have with the all this graph malarky etc is that people now seem to decide whether to try a headphone based on the graph. Or... they find problems with a headphone because of the graph before they've ever set foot in a store to listen to it. We seem to have reached the point where the actual listening enjoyment of a pair of headphones comes second to it's specifications.

The words "Unnaturally, Extremely Boosted air Frequencies". According to who? based on what international standard? What I'm sure you mean is it's boosted more than you would like. That's fine, your preference but that doesn't make it an issue to anyone else but you or people that have the same preferences as you. And even then, they may well enjoy them.... provided they can get past the graph. I do like headphones on/near the Harman curve but it's not the be all and end all situation.

Personally, I've found zero problems with the Elites... same as many others I guess. But I accept this is my personal preference. I actually find them to sound very natural, lifelike even. I'm fairy certain the musical production team will have already altered the actual sound of the music significantly. You just have to listen to some artists live to appreciate they don't sound like the studio productions. So, I worry not about false detail etc and focus on what sounds good... enjoyable... entertaining. After all, this is what musics all about... entertaining us.

I will continue to look for my preferred closed back, of which the stealth is right up there as a candidate but I'll most certainly listen to them first. The opinions on them here and elsewhere do seem to swing from one side to the other quite wildly... a lot more than the Elites. This reminds me of the reviews of the Empyrean to be honest. Which I really like as well even though they were warmer than I'd normally go for.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble...just seemed that the obsession for measurements was becoming more important than the actual act of listening. Just think, you might stumble on something outside your comfort zone that you like. That's certainly why I'll be trying the Stealth.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #3,237 of 5,996
The problem I have with the all this graph malarky etc is that people now seem to decide whether to try a headphone based on the graph. Or... they find problems with a headphone because of the graph before they've ever set foot in a store to listen to it. We seem to have reached the point where the actual listening enjoyment of a pair of headphones comes second to it's specifications.
I knew this one was coming. The usual, memorised, emotional responses when some people see some kind of a graph. Telling same things again and again, what people should do, what they are doing bla bla. And calling names to graphs, like "malarky". I am tired of memorised, illogical responses of people, as if I told them "look at this graph and don't listen", people that are so emotional just to accept both listening and evaluations are important. Gosh! I am tired of haviong to explain the same things again and again and again! Really, this is extremely tiring!

The words "Unnaturally, Extremely Boosted air Frequencies". According to who? based on what international standard? What I'm sure you mean is it's boosted more than you would like. That's fine, your preference but that doesn't make it an issue to anyone else but you or people that have the same preferences as you. And even then, they may well enjoy them.... provided they can get past the graph. I do like headphones on/near the Harman curve but it's not the be all and end all situation.
Based on 40 years of research? Not just by Harman (it is just a company I know that published their results) but many companies. They did the research and found out this is how the >10 kHz waves propagate and reach our ears in a well treated room. What you like is another thing, but this is not what happens in real life under controlled conditions. I also like it slightly more than Harman findings, but that is a different thing. Just because I like it slightly elevated, I don't find the research valueless. Please just be aware of the distinction.

And yes, it is overly elevated, as much as the upper mids. Again, unfortunately I have to mention the same thing again and again: What you like is different! But this is a trick to make the HP sound like more detailed, as many people think that elevated air frequencies mean more detail, whereas it is not. It might even happen due to noise or distortion, and you hear it as glare or more detail.

Yes, it is not fair to compare a properly tuned HP with a HP that has tons of fake details.

PS: Please add me to your ignore list if you don't like graphs.

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,238 of 5,996
What you like is different! But this is a trick to make the HP sound like more detailed, as many people think that elevated air frequencies mean more detail,
Yep. Exactly having this discussion atm. It's been a weird wave of people shelling out money for hyper localization, hyper detail setups. Fine if you do, but it has nothing to do with faithful playback, which owners claim it is. Topping d90+a90 stack brought in this false idea of this claimed 'detail' and 'transparency' heard on the stack is aligned to faithful playback. Holo audio + ahb2 + sus is the new wave. You have YT reviewers say you can hear the singer sing to the left, then to the right .....on a MONO mic and close mic recording. Hilarious.

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #3,239 of 5,996
PS: Please add me to your ignore list if you don't like graphs.
Fair enough... done

Edit. Just to state, It's not that I don't use graphs, I just don't let them override my decision on what to think when I enjoy listening to a set of headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,240 of 5,996
Fair enough... done

Edit. Just to state, It's not that I don't use graphs, I just don't let them override my decision on what to think when I enjoy listening to a set of headphones.
TBF, in my system of listening to the susvara, lcd4, stealth....the delta is small i can be happy with either. Even the Audeze Sine sounds really good and balanced albeit a much smaller, grainier sound with smaller top and bottom extension, but that's reflected on the graphs too. Point being, despite the deviations shown on the 3 different HPs mentioned, on a good chain the difference are slim. Shift your obsession elsewhere. Hedd, lesser LCD models, ether 2, he1k variants can have bigger deltas and trade offs and may need skills in system matching + EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back