Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 10, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,241 of 5,996
Looking for a TOTL headphone for my EDM listening still (1266 would be it but for fitment issues) and the Stealth out of the WA33 might just be the ticket. These are getting better in the bottom with each listen.
Have you listened to the Denon D9200? It might fit for EDM.

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #3,242 of 5,996
The problem I have with the all this graph malarky etc is that people now seem to decide whether to try a headphone based on the graph. Or... they find problems with a headphone because of the graph before they've ever set foot in a store to listen to it. We seem to have reached the point where the actual listening enjoyment of a pair of headphones comes second to it's specifications.

The words "Unnaturally, Extremely Boosted air Frequencies". According to who? based on what international standard? What I'm sure you mean is it's boosted more than you would like. That's fine, your preference but that doesn't make it an issue to anyone else but you or people that have the same preferences as you. And even then, they may well enjoy them.... provided they can get past the graph. I do like headphones on/near the Harman curve but it's not the be all and end all situation.

Personally, I've found zero problems with the Elites... same as many others I guess. But I accept this is my personal preference. I actually find them to sound very natural, lifelike even. I'm fairy certain the musical production team will have already altered the actual sound of the music significantly. You just have to listen to some artists live to appreciate they don't sound like the studio productions. So, I worry not about false detail etc and focus on what sounds good... enjoyable... entertaining. After all, this is what musics all about... entertaining us.

I will continue to look for my preferred closed back, of which the stealth is right up there as a candidate but I'll most certainly listen to them first. The opinions on them here and elsewhere do seem to swing from one side to the other quite wildly... a lot more than the Elites. This reminds me of the reviews of the Empyrean to be honest. Which I really like as well even though they were warmer than I'd normally go for.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble...just seemed that the obsession for measurements was becoming more important than the actual act of listening. Just think, you might stumble on something outside your comfort zone that you like. That's certainly why I'll be trying the Stealth.
Same thing happens on photography forums. A lot of spec debate and pixel peeping and not many photographs or discussion on photography. People debate specs, not photographs. Then there are those who just post photographs and the camera or lens is irrelevant.

But that's ok. I've realized there are those who love the art and don't always care so much about the gear, and there are those who love the gear and don't always care so much about the art, and there are many in the middle who love both (that's me). On most forums it's easy to get lost in all the engineering debates and lose sight of the art, but in terms of music I'm sure most of us tune out the forums late at night and get lost in the music on our favorite headphones (while reading phonebooks in my case).

I'm on the side of listening to headphones to make personal decisions on them. I can do a ton of research (I'm not technically trained enough to read graphs -- I'm far more interested in subjective experiences) and do my best to read between the lines or make sense or summarize all the opinions, but until I hear them I'll never know how they work for me. I bought the Stealth and I'm very drawn to their presentation. I'm also interested in the Elites; I'll never know how they are until I hear them.

I wish there was a way to rent headphones and related gear--try before you buy. In photography, there's Lensrentals.com where you can rent almost any brand, camera, lens or accessory (still or video). I've used them often to test out gear without commitment. You can also buy the gear you rent if you like. They're shipping, packaging and return process are all top notch. Also, they test and calibrate all their gear so you're always getting something without any issues.

Maybe someday we'll see a Headpohonerentals.com!

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,243 of 5,996
Same thing happens on photography forums. A lot of spec debate and pixel peeping and not many photographs or discussion on photography. People debate specs, not photographs. Then there are those who just post photographs and the camera or lens is irrelevant.

But that's ok. I've realized there are those who love the art and don't always care so much about the gear, and there are those who love the gear and don't always care so much about the art, and there are many in the middle who love both (that's me). On most forums it's easy to get lost in all the engineering debates and lose sight of the art, but in terms of music I'm sure most of us tune out the forums late at night and get lost in the music on our favorite headphones (while reading phonebooks in my case).

I'm on the side of listening to headphones to make personal decisions on them. I can do a ton of research (I'm not technically trained enough to read graphs -- I'm far more interested in subjective experiences) and do my best to read between the lines or make sense or summarize all the opinions, but until I hear them I'll never know how they work for me. I bought the Stealth and I'm very drawn to their presentation. I'm also interested in the Elites; I'll never know how they are until I hear them.

I wish there was a way to rent headphones and related gear--try before you buy. In photography, there's Lensrentals.com where you can rent almost any brand, camera, lens or accessory (still or video). I've used them often to test out gear without commitment. You can also buy the gear you rent if you like. They're shipping, packaging and return process are all top notch. Also, they test and calibrate all their gear so you're always getting something without any issues.

Bang on. I'm a photographer Illustrator so I know exactly what you mean. Spent a fair bit of time to begin with but once a system was decided on, it then just becomes the camera and lens and the focus is on the end result.

I would say we're similar with regards to music... I'm interested in stats but not as much as actually listening to something. If it doesn't sound right to me and don't give a rat stuff what the stats say.

As I have the Elites but tempted by the Stealth we are aiming for the same place but coming from opposite directions. Great idea about Headphonerentals.com. They could create a standardised measuring of each one as well... just like lensrental!

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,244 of 5,996

Whenever you’re ready to start headphonesrentals.com, I’ll be an investor haha

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3,245 of 5,996
Have you listened to the Denon D9200? It might fit for EDM.
9200 is a personal favorite of mine, I only sold them so I could afford Stealth. Recommended for basically everything

Looking for a TOTL headphone for my EDM listening still (1266 would be it but for fitment issues) and the Stealth out of the WA33 might just be the ticket. These are getting better in the bottom with each listen.

Not sure the source of this idea that Stealth won't work for EDM; no meaningful rationale was given. If you want the bass to kick, you're going to need some watts but other than that not sure what issue would be.

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #3,246 of 5,996

Such a drama just because I included a...graph? And the same old stories being repeated, that they value what they hear, they value the music, that they are far more interested in subjective opinions. As if someone asked them what they prefer. Implicitly saying "this is the level of my understanding, stay there, otherwise I feel offended". Otherwise I don't understand the drama explosion with the same pattern, everytime I mention something outside their comfort zone. Same responses over and over again. And as if they value what they hear, but I don't because I can read and relate to measurement data.

Again: Feel free to ignore me if you are sensitive to what I share.

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #3,247 of 5,996
Such a drama just because I included a...graph? And the same old stories being repeated, that they value what they hear, they value the music, that they are far more interested in subjective opinions. As if someone asked them what they prefer. Implicitly saying "this is the level of my understanding, stay there, otherwise I feel offended". Otherwise I don't understand the drama explosion with the same pattern, everytime I mention something outside their comfort zone. Same responses over and over again. And as if they value what they hear, but I don't because I can read and relate to measurement data.

Again: Feel free to ignore me if you are sensitive to what I share.
@DarginMahkum you do the same thing with graphs and measurement talk though, you do see that right? You tout the measurements as being the alpha and the omega “for you”.

You contribute a lot to the discussions here and have a great understanding of measurements and even good taste in music 😉, but getting perturbed at others for screaming about repetitive posts and then doing the same thing is a bit rich.

Graphs and Hearing can all get along, unlike the vaxxed and unvaxxed thanks to the power mongers!

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #3,248 of 5,996
@DarginMahkum you do the same thing with graphs and measurement talk though, you do see that right? You tout the measurements as being the alpha and the omega “for you”.

You contribute a lot to the discussions here and have a great understanding of measurements and even good taste in music 😉, but getting perturbed at others for screaming about repetitive posts and then doing the same thing is a bit rich.

Graphs and Hearing can all get along, unlike the vaxxed and unvaxxed thanks to the power mongers!
What repetitive post are you talking about? I just mentioned that the air frequencies are overly done, and supported it with measurment data, and received the template response of what measurements are bla bla...

You know what, *** it. I don't think I have anything to contribute to these forums. I am out. Enjoy your "freedom".

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #3,249 of 5,996
So I got a dose of my own medicine...

My tech was asking me about a new psu build because the Chinese transformer label is confusing. And I was like, wait, how did you do the one I got now? So turns out while the dc out is fine, the way the secondary was wired wasn't correct, but functional.

The SQ of the psu was still one of the best I've heard despite this and I didn't notice sq issues when I had the Dave, diablo, Hugo 2, etc... As compared to the past couple of weeks.

It was when I got the new psu mod for the Soekris and SPL phonitor one that I was hearing issues with loud albums, limiters, which I've been posting about. While the Soekris and SPL combo gave an upgrade in sound, other issues started to stick out and I was blaming limiters, the limits of the Soekris r2r, and even the Stealth being too smooth and undistorted that it's making loud albums or with excessive limiters fatiguing for me.

So it turns out it was the configuration on the secondaries of the transformer. Those albums with 'limiters' has no issues for me now. Female vocals sounds faster, airier, yet sweeter and smoother while still displaying some rasp in the voice that was otherwise coated over in my last setup. I am now rewarded even more with the quieter albums with more DR as I can peer through the music even more and what felt like poor stacking/blending of vocal tracks is gone too. It was like a slightly wrung rope being relaxed.

I'm happy with this outcome because I believe at this level, the concept of synergy is not a thing.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #3,250 of 5,996
So I got a dose of my own medicine...

My tech was asking me about a new psu build because the Chinese transformer label is confusing. And I was like, wait, how did you do the one I got now? So turns out while the dc out is fine, the way the secondary was wired wasn't correct, but functional.

The SQ of the psu was still one of the best I've heard despite this and I didn't notice sq issues when I had the Dave, diablo, Hugo 2, etc... As compared to the past couple of weeks.

It was when I got the new psu mod for the Soekris and SPL phonitor one that I was hearing issues with loud albums, limiters, which I've been posting about. While the Soekris and SPL combo gave an upgrade in sound, other issues started to stick out and I was blaming limiters, the limits of the Soekris r2r, and even the Stealth being too smooth and undistorted that it's making loud albums or with excessive limiters fatiguing for me.

So it turns out it was the configuration on the secondaries of the transformer. Those albums with 'limiters' has no issues for me now. Female vocals sounds faster, airier, yet sweeter and smoother while still displaying some rasp in the voice that was otherwise coated over in my last setup. I am now rewarded even more with the quieter albums with more DR as I can peer through the music even more and what felt like poor stacking/blending of vocal tracks is gone too. It was like a slightly wrung rope being relaxed.

I'm happy with this outcome because I believe at this level, the concept of synergy is not a thing.
Glad you’re happy

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #3,252 of 5,996
My personal Rankings with the Stealth

1.Questyle CMA15
2.TT2
3.CMA MASTER 12 (little to much body for my taste in the low end but with the Utopia much better synergy )
4.Fiio M17 (only with the power supply)

NOMAX

PS.forget the Hugo 2.....also all other Players from AK and Shangling (not enough power)

PSS.lol

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #3,253 of 5,996

1.Questyle CMA15
2.TT2
3.CMA MASTER 12 (little to much body for my taste in the low end but with the Utopia much better synergy )

NOMAX

PS.forget the Hugo 2.....also all other Players from AK and Shangling (not enough power)

PSS.lol
Are u doing spdif on tt2 and Hugo 2?
U need to cover the Hugo 2's open ports. Electric tape + copper tape 2x.

Then add sorbothanes on Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #3,254 of 5,996

1.Questyle CMA15
2.TT2

NOMAX

PSS.lol
So the CMA 12 has more body than the CMA15?

Surprising

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #3,255 of 5,996
Yes 😉 but fot the Stealth is that to much to my ears

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back