Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #3,151 of 5,994
I believe you, I just believe you don't realize you're not listening very loud because you have sensitive hearing. It's pretty evident based on what you've been describing. That makes 1000x more sense than what custom silver blend you're using on the solder to your PSU and how that's helping the amp properly drive headphone and all that nonsense.
I've likely spent way too much time on this topic but, out of curiosity, I was interested to figure it out. @801evan says "susvara at -7dB" from the DAVE - this would equal 84db with a 0dbfs signal @ 1khz with no EQ involved. Any other parameters such as EQ have not been included.

Edit due to my failure to account for my Mscaler in calculation. Above should be 87db with a 0dbfs signal.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #3,153 of 5,994
But wait. Should it be 85dB at nominal volume range of the track too? So there's that variability.

Some tracks I'm on -4dB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220106-020609.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-020609.jpg
    960.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #3,154 of 5,994
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #3,155 of 5,994
But wait. Should it be 85dB at nominal volume range of the track too? So there's that variability.

Some tracks I'm on -4dB
the track really has nothing to do with it. The number I provided is simply the limit based on the headphone and the DAVE. Raising 3 on the DAVE is moving the potential maximum up 3db. I don't know the recording levels of what you're listening to.

Addendum - If you want to continue this topic regarding your specifics, let's take it to PM.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #3,156 of 5,994
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #3,157 of 5,994
My recently acquired Stealth is going to another head-fier. I liked it. Got it at the same time as the Aeon Noire. Absolutely could not find any of my devices that could deliver what it needed via single-ended (mojo, WA7, N6ii). Once I received a balanced cable, it was a lot better.

I'm not sure what to make of it. The sound was detailed and perfect in every way. Great sound stage, incredible detail, and I even liked the bass a lot. I'm an Audeze guy (LCD-4Z box in pic below after I returned the LCD-5) so I didn't think that was possible. It reminded me of the Etymotic style bass where more is heard than felt. It also sounds very different from the Aeon Noire in a good way.

That being said, I did not think the Stealth would give me what I needed - a transportable closed back for the office. I've never had a headphone this hard to drive including the HD800. It had nothing to do with volume; without enough power, the Stealth simply sounds worse than the Aeon Noire.

Keeping the Aeon Noire though - it's not special, but it's good enough for my needs.

34F528F9-FC69-4C7B-A42E-B328AF8684D8.jpeg

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #3,160 of 5,994
It's really gonna be impossible to believe if one doesn't believe what I've been saying about transport, signal chain and power quality. Because there's no other way. The susvara and stealth would suck if I pared my chain down.

I was also driving the Susvara with the Hugo 2 above my listening levels, not wearing it just for coverage.
for crying out loud it is NOT about volume levels..a mercedes and a honda can both drive at 120 MPH...enough already

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #3,161 of 5,994
Hi guys,

does anybody have experience how Stealt fit on very big head/skull? Is it possible that headband strap may touch to the two NiTinol metal rods?

I am very curious about this, because my Ether C Flow are almost touching to those rods: my previous post with the picture

anybody, please? The think is that in my country I can’t try them personally. The only way for me, is to order them from abroad.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #3,162 of 5,994
anybody, please? The think is that in my country I can’t try them personally. The only way for me, is to order them from abroad.
Yeah... that's what I did as well, blind dive and I don't regret it...

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #3,163 of 5,994
Head size is obviously variable, as to whether my head fits your definition of 'large' is up to you but I'm 6'5" tall so likely fall to the 'large' side of the spectrum. The Stealth is actually not tight enough for my tastes. It can slide to and fro even when I speed up to pass someone on the sidewalk. One time I made the mistake of wearing it while chopping wood, it flew off on the first swing and saved only by the fact I ran the cable inside the front of my shirt. :)

As far as clamp force, i love the HD650 - it's like a velvet vice grip. Those things are NOT coming off but stay comfy. I rbing that up because I feel the headband may be the only piece of the puzzle where DCA fixed what's not broken - the Aeon series are perfect in that regard . I emailed DCA about tightening the Stealth, he said it can't be done save for bending the headband which is obviously not recommended. Not a huge deal because really how oftena re you taking $4k headphones out of the house? The sticking point, though, is that I find bass response to be highly dependent on positioning so I do find myself pushing them back into place 2-3x per hour, even in a scenario as simple as turning my head left/right to see all my monitors. Maybe I just have a small head after all?

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #3,164 of 5,994
Head size is obviously variable, as to whether my head fits your definition of 'large' is up to you but I'm 6'5" tall so likely fall to the 'large' side of the spectrum. The Stealth is actually not tight enough for my tastes. It can slide to and fro even when I speed up to pass someone on the sidewalk. One time I made the mistake of wearing it while chopping wood, it flew off on the first swing and saved only by the fact I ran the cable inside the front of my shirt. :)

As far as clamp force, i love the HD650 - it's like a velvet vice grip. Those things are NOT coming off but stay comfy. I rbing that up because I feel the headband may be the only piece of the puzzle where DCA fixed what's not broken - the Aeon series are perfect in that regard . I emailed DCA about tightening the Stealth, he said it can't be done save for bending the headband which is obviously not recommended. Not a huge deal because really how oftena re you taking $4k headphones out of the house? The sticking point, though, is that I find bass response to be highly dependent on positioning so I do find myself pushing them back into place 2-3x per hour, even in a scenario as simple as turning my head left/right to see all my monitors. Maybe I just have a small head after all?
wait, you were wearing $4k USD headphones while chopping wood? legend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back