Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,136 of 5,994
Is this what people are doing in other threads for flex? No wonder susvaras are getting fried.
I can't attest to other threads. But most headphone amps have protection so you shouldn't fry anything. And you are listening for the distortion or clip. Once you hit it, you back off.

No flex needed or wanted here sorry. It's just a test

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,138 of 5,994
Back up the claim on how this test proves anything? You already said it's informal, so is it something you just made up?

That's like saying....well how do you know the airbag of the car is gonna work unless you test it monthly?
Sure.
The test proves wether your amp distorts, clips or if it carries on through to it's maximum output under high load. Three possible results that even you can personally try and confirm with ease.

I didn't make this up, I'm just telling you how to do it correctly so you can see accurate results.

I've Had more informal tests in my life with higher outcomes and importance than formal tests. I hope you have experienced something similar so you can understand the oddness of your statement.

car airbags are an interesting topic. But basically on a modern car every time you start it, it self tests (eg a little orange "airbag" or "srs" light will pop up on your dash for a moment. If it stays on or blinks there's a defect. This may be the airbag modules or the impact sensors dotted around the cars critical zones. Fun fact most modern cars have around 16 seperate computer systems operating in them!

if you'd like a full breakdown on airbag safety systems I can get my brother to give you a call. He's a master technician for Toyota...

.I hope you have enjoyed my ted talk

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #3,140 of 5,994
In other news, I've been busy today with the Pro iCan Signature and that X-Bass knob does wonders with the Stealth!

Edit: And the Tubes mode adds some softness and a little bit of distortion sweetness to the Stealth.

20220105_174151[1829].jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #3,141 of 5,994
Ofc I'll mention if there's distortion and clipping but there isn't any.

For throughness, the only time I thought it was clipping, it was a steaming buffer issue because I kept rewinding to the challenging parts and it pooped on me. But trying it again at the same volume without being hard on the player, it's all fine.

What's your objective doing 0.0dB in the fist place? Does it go above 0.0dB?
This is hard to believe. I can get my (totally isolated/battery powered/toslink driven) mTT2 to clip from it's balanced outs on any headphone after a certain volume level. You must have some super powered DAVE or you just listen to music at a lower volume, unlike the rest of us (which is why we should all just agree to disagree and move on and let you have your opinions).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,142 of 5,994
This is hard to believe. I can get my TT2 to clip from it's balanced outs on any headphone after a certain volume level. You must have some super powered DAVE or you just listen to music at a lower volume like the rest of us (which is why we should all just agree to disagree and move on and let you have your opinions).

It's really gonna be impossible to believe if one doesn't believe what I've been saying about transport, signal chain and power quality. Because there's no other way. The susvara and stealth would suck if I pared my chain down.

I was also driving the Susvara with the Hugo 2 above my listening levels, not wearing it just for coverage.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,143 of 5,994
It's really gonna be impossible to believe if one doesn't believe what I've been saying about transport, signal chain and power quality. Because there's no other way. The susvara and stealth would suck if I pared my chain down.

I was also driving the Susvara with the Hugo 2 above my listening levels, not wearing it just for coverage.
Nothing wrong with my chain, I've gone through great lengths to remove any RF or mains power at all going into it. Plus the TT2 is technically capable of way more power than the DAVE. So, if I can do the Cradle to the Grave test and get my TT2 to clip on the Stealth and Susvara, then that just means you're not pushing your DAVE to it's limits at all. It's not about power or chain, like you think, you just enjoy listening at lower levels so it doesn't matter what the amp is or isn't capable of. I don't doubt that your chain has improved the quality you hear out of it, but there's no way I would be able to get the volume I enjoy out of your gear, especially on that track.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3,144 of 5,994
Nothing wrong with my chain, I've gone through great lengths to remove any RF or mains power at all going into it. Plus the TT2 is technically capable of way more power than the DAVE. So, if I can do the Cradle to the Grave test and get my TT2 to clip on the Stealth and Susvara, then that just means you're not pushing your DAVE to it's limits at all. It's not about power or chain, like you think, you just enjoy listening at lower levels so it doesn't matter what the amp is or isn't capable of. I don't doubt that your chain has improved the quality you hear out of it, but there's no way I would be able to get the volume I enjoy out of your gear, especially on that track.
You have to back read, I've said I've played tracks that another tt2 owner said was clipping on the susvara and I drove it louder than I can tolerate on the Hugo 2 and there was no clipping as well. So it's not just the Dave but the Hugo 2, , ifi diablo and Soekris + phonitor one. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's your dc cable quality and interconnects. I do 17awg silver occ for all my cables. I've done 20awg silver occ dc on the powerbanks before and it can sound thin but I haven't experienced it clip in my sessions either. But if you don't use quality cables all the way through, you will have limited extension on the top and bottom end and the music will congest in those areas and tadah, it'll clip.

The point of what I'm saying if you've been following is that the issue usually extends beyond HP + dac/amp. Most of the issue is something else so anyone blaming the HP + dac/amp is blaming the wrong thing.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #3,145 of 5,994
You have to back read, I've said I've played tracks that another tt2 owner said was clipping on the susvara and I drove it louder than I can tolerate on the Hugo 2 and there was no clipping as well. So it's not just the Dave but the Hugo 2, , ifi diablo and Soekris + phonitor one. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's your dc cable quality and interconnects. I do 17awg silver occ for all my cables. I've done 20awg silver occ dc on the powerbanks before and it can sound thin but I haven't experienced it clip in my sessions either. But if you don't use quality cables all the way through, you will have limited extension on the top and bottom end and the music will congest in those areas and tadah, it'll clip.

The point of what I'm saying if you've been following is that the issue usually extends beyond HP + dac/amp. Most of the issue is something else so anyone blaming the HP + dac/amp is blaming the wrong thing.
Yea, it's not. It's just that you listen at a low volume. This discussion could benefit if you list some actual data, like the volume level you find to be loud. I'm guessing it's a lot lower than what I would find loud. You do understand that is the big factor here, right? If we can't even agree on what either of us defines as "loud" the quality of my DC interconnections is way less important.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #3,147 of 5,994
What's up with the people here where just because I'm not having the issues you guys are having then it's most likely invalid? 🤣 You conveniently disregarded the fact that I played it louder than I could even tolerate.
You seem to have trouble understanding that a volume level you can tolerate and enjoy might not be a universal fact that applies to everyone. And when we're talking about amps clipping and what loud is, it's important to establish a baseline first with an actual db value. You seem to think if you find something loud then surely everyone does. Not quite how it works.

I've been defending you against the frustrated users for several posts, but the issue isn't others not believing you - it's that you're not posting anything that we can actually look at and make sense of. Most of what you're posting, quite frankly, is nonsense and stuff that has been debunked. There are no tests you can do that would prove that a DC power cable A sounds better than B, it's immeasurable in most cases and what you "think" you hear can easily be explained with placebo. Provide data to back up your testing and claims, hard numbers, otherwise, you are wasting everyone's time.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,148 of 5,994
Sorry, then don't believe me and move forward. It goes without saying that while this whole thread is about the Stealth, it invites the whole gamut of audiophile users. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Some are new, some are more experienced. Yea I've heard of people in my circle mentioning about the TT2 clipping and I said to put a line conditioner and reluctantly they tried it and it works. But I've been saying this for many posts and it's beyond just that too. The point I'd rather make is that there's little to blame on the HP and the DAC/AMP. I do multi stage filter on my cdt + ocxo / zen stream + USB chain. We're talking custom psus with silver cables and 48x-60x lt3045s. In comparison, Innous Phoenix only has 2x lt3045s. I couldn't even get that far in the conversation before people starts throwing their arms up. 🤣 If one thinks that these conditioners, lt3045s, my Hugo 2 ain't clipping on cradle to grave, and that Stealth has bass is ridiculous, then that's not on me. I've done my homework.

And while one questions how loud I play my music despite me experiencing temporary hearing loss after a session that is super smooth, I'd question their safety and health in this pissing contest that only ppl playing loud has merit and can contribute to the conversation about proper amplification.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #3,149 of 5,994
Sorry, then don't believe me and move forward. It goes without saying that while this whole thread is about the Stealth, it invites the whole gamut of audiophile users. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Some are new, some are more experienced. Yea I've heard of people in my circle mentioning about the TT2 clipping and I said to put a line conditioner and reluctantly they tried it and it works. But I've been saying this for many posts and it's beyond just that too. The point I'd rather make is that there's little to blame on the HP and the DAC/AMP. I do multi stage filter on my cdt + ocxo / zen stream + USB chain. We're talking custom psus with silver cables and 48x-60x lt3045s. In comparison, Innous Phoenix only has 2x lt3045s. I couldn't even get that far in the conversation before people starts throwing their arms up. 🤣 If one thinks that these conditioners, lt3045s, my Hugo 2 ain't clipping on cradle to grave, and that Stealth has bass is ridiculous, then that's not on me. I've done my homework.

And while one questions how loud I play my music despite me experiencing temporary hearing loss after a session that is super smooth, I'd question their safety and health in this pissing contest that only ppl playing loud has merit and can contribute to the conversation about proper amplification.
I believe you, I just believe you don't realize you're not listening very loud because you have sensitive hearing. It's pretty evident based on what you've been describing. That makes 1000x more sense than what custom silver blend you're using on the solder to your PSU and how that's helping the amp properly drive headphone and all that nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back