Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 21, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #271 of 5,994
I was thinking the Shaling m30 maybe could handle these hard to drive headphones. Although it is a pretty large size, and is of course expensive. But you could keep it in a backpack and then put it in your lap or on your desk:

M301_resized_1_740x.jpg

https://audio46.com/products/shanling-m30-modular-desktop-hi-fi-streaming-player?currency=USD&variant=37935069069502&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping
Be careful, lots of software issues on that thing I've heard. There's probably a headfi thread on it.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #272 of 5,994
Very very few have enough current. Basicaly c9 and bx2+ only and only if listening quiet

Not even vaugeky close....

Ibasso dx300 has 2.7A. (amp11mki) Would that be enough? It can drive my he6se. Even presents with a punchy bass.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #273 of 5,994
A30pro supposedly cleanly puts out 5.5W in high gain at 33ohms. Definitely enough
That is what I was thinking as well.

I am assuming my Qudelix 5K won't cut it. I really dont like damaging my ears, so if I could get decent volume levels with it, i would be a happy camper.

Funnily enough, it will either be this or the Moondrop S8 :)

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #275 of 5,994
@mrspeakers - Can you describe what makes the metamaterial superior for this application? When I read about metamaterials they discuss electromagnetic radiation, but not acoustics. Also, unless it is proprietary, do you 3D print the metamaterial?

@mrspeakers - Can you describe what makes the metamaterial superior for this application? When I read about metamaterials they discuss electromagnetic radiation, but not acoustics. Also, unless it is proprietary, do you 3D print the metamaterial?

Yes it has been used for acoustics before, very recently in the new KEF LS50 Meta

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #276 of 5,994
I will wait, never been a fan of when people just rave about neutrality- sometimes that’s code talk for “not fun” or not enough oomph - will see
In my opinion if the music is exciting and fun, the headphone doesn't have to be colored. It just needs to be neutral in the sense that it accurately reproduces the music.

Of course opinions and tastes will vary, but neutrality is just as valid of an approach to headphones as colored sound.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #278 of 5,994
Is it just me or is this basically an aeon closed with a plastic frame around the hull and a new headband? ... apart from the driver and damping stuff of course.

I always found my Ether C barely competing with some of the better open headphones around 300$ like a HD600 or a T90.

Still curious how this one keeps up for 4000$ compared to a ZMF Verite C for example. Anybody compared them side to side already?
Are you sure it is plastic? Highly doubt it.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #279 of 5,994
So it looks like it can fold right? If so, it has every closed back high-end headphone beat already by default. Unless you have your closed headphone permanently stored at the office and don’t bring it home.

I actually tried bringing the Z1R to the office when I had, and it was just not good to travel with it.

Just look at that bass curve, which is obvious. This is not a "neutral" headphone.

Audiophiles don’t like neutral headphones. It is too bright for them. I would also probably try to sell headphones with a bass boost and roll the treble off if I was selling “audiophile” headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #280 of 5,994
2.5-3db “boost” in 100-150Hz is really insignificant. Probably desirable. Without actually experiencing Stealths, it’s impossible to judge anything. From comfort to sound, it’s all speculation for most of us. Personally, from little that I know about it, I think these are going to be something special for those who can afford it.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #281 of 5,994
So it looks like it can fold right? If so, it has every closed back high-end headphone beat already by default. Unless you have your closed headphone permanently stored at the office and don’t bring it home.

I actually tried bringing the Z1R to the office when I had, and it was just not good to travel with it.
Yes, the hinge mechanism on the Stealth mirrors the ones that are used in the AEON 2 series of headphones.

Indeed, as far as "portability in full-sized headphones" go, Dan Clark Audio is unmatched in this aspect. I expect nothing less from this new behemoth. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back