Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #256 of 5,996
I like to refer to it as accuracy...I want to hear what is on the recording ,that is why I am such a fan of the sr1a..the stealth sounds very interesting

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #258 of 5,996
I will wait, never been a fan of when people just rave about neutrality- sometimes that’s code talk for “not fun” or not enough oomph - will see
I've never understood this. If you have a purely "accurate" set of headphones, with the least distortion and added "color" to the tonality, then you can very easily, and with precision, ADD the precise "color" to your listening experience through proper EQ.

Now if you start with a "fun" or "exciting" set then you have to battle down to neutrality and often have a horrible time trying to change the signiture away from the designed "flavor" of the sound.

Better to have the options.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #260 of 5,996
I've never understood this. If you have a purely "accurate" set of headphones, with the least distortion and added "color" to the tonality, then you can very easily, and with precision, ADD the precise "color" to your listening experience through proper EQ.

Now if you start with a "fun" or "exciting" set then you have to battle down to neutrality and often have a horrible time trying to change the signiture away from the designed "flavor" of the sound.

I’ve had that thought, lately, Besides, it is fun to hear what the recording, mixing, etc laid down and delivered. Not that that’s anything wrong with tweaking it to sound more to our preference… that‘s actually a wonderful choice enabled by having tech to reproduce audio. 🙃

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #261 of 5,996
I’ve had that thought, lately, Besides, it is fun to hear what the recording, mixing, etc laid down and delivered. Not that that’s anything wrong with tweaking it to sound more to our preference… that‘s actually a wonderful choice enabled by having tech to reproduce audio. 🙃

I mean there is so much to say about the fact that you really need to pick your exact goal for listening. If you can find the Artist's explicit goals for the sound, then that's one aim, if you listen to the producers target sound as designed for maximum enjoyment, that's another, if you want to re-engineer the sound away from "sounds best on the most widely available end user systems" and tune into the instrumentation, that's another setup entirely. Shoot, even headphone manufacturers have a very specific presentation of music in general that they are producing, layered on top of all of these, and this sound ITSELF can be sought out (Think cultivating and loving the "Beyer" or "Grado" sound profile).

I just feel that if we get a highly engineered headphone to closely mimic the harmon-FR curve, that ALSO obliterates any confounding resonance/peakyness/distortion, then in the end WE are the ones who get to finely engineer our own personal audio Shangrila with that final layer of tonality "flavor".

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #262 of 5,996
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #263 of 5,996
iDSD Diablo might work well. Not sure of course, as I haven't heard the Stealth.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #264 of 5,996
Very very few have enough current. Basicaly c9 and bx2+ only and only if listening quiet

Not even vaugeky close....
I was thinking the Shaling m30 maybe could handle these hard to drive headphones. Although it is a pretty large size, and is of course expensive. But you could keep it in a backpack and then put it in your lap or on your desk:

M301_resized_1_740x.jpg

https://audio46.com/products/shanling-m30-modular-desktop-hi-fi-streaming-player

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #266 of 5,996
@mrspeakers Wow. You guys really have a cool product on your hands.

WIll my (budget) Topping A30 Pro be able to power this? I feel these headphones will be really complementary to my HD800S.
A30pro supposedly cleanly puts out 5.5W in high gain at 33ohms. Definitely enough

iDSD Diablo might work well. Not sure of course, as I haven't heard the Stealth.
I'm still learning how to read these types of graphs https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/ifi-idsd-diablo-turbo-bal.php#gsc.tab=0

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #268 of 5,996

there's more to engagement than just altering the frequency response via eq. maybe it's resonance and decay, i'm not sure. but i know there's been many headphones i've owned over the years that i've tried eq'ing with no success. the hd800s was the last set i bothered trying to eq. no matter what i did it didn't sound good to me. that's why i always evaluate without eq now. if i don't like something without altering it's response, it's gone. just easier that way for me.

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #270 of 5,996
there's more to engagement than just altering the frequency response via eq. maybe it's resonance and decay, i'm not sure. but i know there's been many headphones i've owned over the years that i've tried eq'ing with no success. the hd800s was the last set i bothered trying to eq. no matter what i did it didn't sound good to me. that's why i always evaluate without eq now. if i don't like something without altering it's response, it's gone. just easier that way for me.
This experience makes my point more clearly. If you layer as little physical space or driver "color" into the headphones, then they tend to take very well to EQ, which the hd800 is notoriously bad at EQ'ing, where DCA headphones are famously excellent at accepting EQ, because they start from a much more specific focus on getting any overwhelming headphone "sound signature" out of the way ahead of time.

forgive my incessant quotations, but i tend to bracket any and all sonic jargon because it is all so very jingoistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back