Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 16, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,486 of 6,037
Just listened to this and they have one single note that reverberates with too high a level with placement of mic, but literally every other strike is wonderful in Stealth.
Sad to see two world class musicians with great musicianship failing at this. Different and improper mic'ing / mixing, no panning to give it a bit more stage feeling. Then you check another album, not 70s but this time hard panning, like all the mics are with the drummer, Chick playing outside the building on the street. Not HP friendly for sure. Fortunately there is crossfeed that helps sometimes.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #1,489 of 6,037
* wrong thread
Sorry

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,490 of 6,037
+1
Would also be interesting for me because I'm hearing 90% metal.
I am frankly having hard time answering in such a generalized way, because the recordings vary a lot. As far as remember, you had D8000 Pro and you EQ'ed the low mids with +3 dB? With Stealth you don't need to do that. But D8KP has more upper treble energy and air, so if you like that you might need to add some air. Otherwise the rest of the treble is similar and the cymbal sound is exceptional. More natural than D8KP, even when bumped. I think the bass is similar but I am not sure.

If you like to very slightly EQ, it is very easy to play anything on these, as the FR does not have any faults, spikes, dips etc,

EDIT: Sorry, that was someone that EQd the D8KP.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #1,491 of 6,037
What are the values on the y axis ? Measured on the MiniDSP EARS ?

every square is 5db. 70db scale overall. measured on EARS with Ether2 yes.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,494 of 6,037
Stealth arrives Saturday, and by Sunday I'll have a 3-way comparison between Stealth, Utopia, and VC for y'all!
Always interested in hearing about a three way (comparison). Never turn down an opportunity. 😁

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,495 of 6,037
@mrspeakers Do you have a recommendation for fitment on the cups for those of us with high elevated ears? Mine fit rather well, but if they are ever off they are lower than i would like them to sit. Also what is your recommended cleaning/upkeep on this type of ear pad material, both ear side and outside thanks!
Hi, I'm not sure I understand your fit question, go ahead and PM me and maybe rephrase the concern.

For cleaning I would just wipe down with a microfiber or cotton cloth for the outside, for the suede I'd use a damp cloth for anything beside dust/dandruff. Don't use aggressive solvents or cleaners.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,496 of 6,037
How good Stealth is in metal music?
The Stealth is excellent at presenting complex guitar riffs and vocals for the metal music that I listen to. Distorted guitar tone is excellent, and it has no trouble layering the mix even during busy parts of songs. However, I think it does lack some authority and impact in terms of how drums are presented with respect to the rest of the mix. Interestingly, I find that this problem is alleviated a bit when running the Stealth through the ZMF Pendant instead of the Schiit Jotunheim 2.

Here are some of the metal bands I enjoy listening to for context: ERRA, Periphery, Currents, Crystal Lake, Between the Buried and Me, Architects, Veil of Maya.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,497 of 6,037
The Stealth is excellent at presenting complex guitar riffs and vocals for the metal music that I listen to. Distorted guitar tone is excellent, and it has no trouble layering the mix even during busy parts of songs. However, I think it does lack some authority and impact in terms of how drums are presented with respect to the rest of the mix. Interestingly, I find that this problem is alleviated a bit when running the Stealth through the ZMF Pendant instead of the Schiit Jotunheim 2.

Here are some of the metal bands I enjoy listening to for context: ERRA, Periphery, Currents, Crystal Lake, Between the Buried and Me, Architects, Veil of Maya.
No Fushitsusha? Stumbled on that band a few years ago. Wow. Japanese metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back