Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,456 of 5,994
That's great to hear! I'm getting more and more tempted to get these whenever the wait times calm down a bit
By the way, thanks for reminding. I was looking for something else to listen to. I forgot about the "Like Minds" I like , though Chick's piano mix is again not the best.

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,457 of 5,994
That's great to hear! I'm getting more and more tempted to get these whenever the wait times calm down a bit
That might never happen because of our World circumstance. Unsure if DCA could have forseable supply issues etc. I know from the high-end cycling perspective that wait time can be huge. My bike I ordered two months ago is scheduled for March delivery.

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,458 of 5,994
By the way, thanks for reminding. I was looking for something else to listen to. I forgot about the "Like Minds" I like , though Chick's piano mix is again not the best.
That album is great! Some more of my reference albums you might like:

- At the Village Gate - Herbie Mann
- Polyhymnia - Yazz Ahmed
- Musas - Natalia Lafourcade
- Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Davis Quintet
- Mehliana: Taming the Dragon - Brad Mehldau / Mark Guiliana
- Critical Mass - Dave Holland Quintet

I should turn it into an actual playlist someday...

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #1,459 of 5,994
Beautiful new Profile picture
Thanks. I wanted a photo with Stealth but I couldn't make them pose. :smile_cat:
I did it! Even with the right color and patterns, and my pink color! :)

20210915_205617.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #1,460 of 5,994
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,461 of 5,994
That album is great! Some more of my reference albums you might like:

- At the Village Gate - Herbie Mann
- Polyhymnia - Yazz Ahmed
- Musas - Natalia Lafourcade
- Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Davis Quintet
- Mehliana: Taming the Dragon - Brad Mehldau / Mark Guiliana
- Critical Mass - Dave Holland Quintet

I should turn it into an actual playlist someday...
Thanks. First time I am hearing Yazz Ahmed and Natalia Lafourcade. I like Musas, listening to it right now.

I use the Nguyen Le albums often as my reference, especially the Purple - Celebrating Hendrix. They are all well produced. Also some Allan Holdsworth. Then there is the Lhasa de Sela, The Living Road. If I would list:

Nguyen Le, Purple
Lhasa de Sela, The Living Road
Alain Perez, El Cuento de la Buena Pipa
Aydin Esen, Anadolu (sadly, not on Qobuz)
Aziza Mustafazadeh, Always
Ron Carter, Dear Miles

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,462 of 5,994
I did it! Even with the right color and patterns, and my pink color! :)

Those pillows were actually for my HPs to put them on while working. Then cats started sleeping on them in front of the monitor. Now they are theirs, and I had to find something else, something not cat friendly.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,463 of 5,994
The bass thing is completely taken out of proportion. It is a realistic bass. If you want it to be more aggressive with the impact, adding just 1.5 dB to bass more than does the job. I am listening to Ron Carter's Dear Miles album, and the bass is just perfectly balanced with the rest of the mix. For me increasing the bass here does not work well for the complete mix. People should just understand and appreciate that this is a much more balanced and realistic take on the bass. Accuracy is the keyword, and it is accurate. If you want more fun, it takes slight EQ'ing very well and you get what you want.

No, it's not. You keep harping this realistic bass as some crutch of excuse.

Have you heard the SR1a, 009, 1266, or Susvara to complete your reference?

He1000 are pretty nimble and bass light. Your references seem related to closedback presentation which is a important context.

The Stealth doesn't present bass textures and macrodynamic change in a spectacular fashion aside from being limited by other factors.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,464 of 5,994
I don't touch the Rögnir since I got the Stealth. I have no problem with EQ tweaking for a close to Rögnir sound, which also has its issues with the tuning. So I don't think I will be keeping Rögnir. I am mainly keeping it because I would like to see how it will work out with FiiO M17 coming up next month, then I will give my final decision. Stealth is my main HP right now. It has pretty much everything I could want from a closed back HP, or any HP in general. HEKse will be staying as an open back alternative. I think they are the perfect duo for comfortable, great sounding HPs.

Aside from things that can be fixed with EQ (bass, tuning, etc.), how does the Stealth's physical characteristics compare to the Rognir? By physical, I mean things that can't be solved by EQ (soundstage, imaging, isolation, etc.)

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,465 of 5,994
Aside from things that can be fixed with EQ (bass, tuning, etc.), how does the Stealth's physical characteristics compare to the Rognir? By physical, I mean things that can't be solved by EQ (soundstage, imaging, isolation, etc.)
Isolation and imaging is better with Stealth. Sound stage to the sides, too. But Rögnir is brighter and that dip in low mids gives some depth feeling, so feels slightly more 3D.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #1,467 of 5,994
Thanks! Then again, that dip in the low mids and brightness could be fixed with some EQ, no?
Yes, it can. It is a good sounding HP. One problem I mentioned earlier is that, the cups don't rotate on the vertical axis. So, with the default pads, it _might_ get a little bit uncomfortable on the upper jaw bone. You may need to bend the cups.

I bought some other thicker pads to solve that, and it worked, at the expense of some other things. Check the Rögnir thread, for that. If you are listening to metal, their default tonality might be more suitable than Stealth, especially for not so harsh sounding albums, like Necrophagist/ Epitaph or Testament/ Low.

Both are good HPs.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,468 of 5,994
No, it's not. You keep harping this realistic bass as some crutch of excuse.

Have you heard the SR1a, 009, 1266, or Susvara to complete your reference?

He1000 are pretty nimble and bass light. Your references seem related to closedback presentation which is a important context.

The Stealth doesn't present bass textures and macrodynamic change in a spectacular fashion aside from being limited by other factors.
You don't stop, right - trying to impose "your" truth on every thread on Head-fi?

I bought Solitaire P over a 009s setup. Solitaire has better and more bass than Susvara. Then I bought P-SE, then HEKse and I kept the HEKse over the two. Do you get that? Do you ever consider that people value different things, listen to different things, hear different things, value a different balance of sound? You keep saying Rögnir is the best closed, and I have that and I prefer Stealth. Everything negative and positive I said about Rögnir is there in the Rögnir thread, didn't happen after I bought the Stealth. Do you even get what it means to have that hole in tonality and how it effects vocals? You probably don't hear anything above bass and below treble.

Gosh. Need something better than ignore, sometimes.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #1,469 of 5,994
You don't stop, right - trying to impose "your" truth on every thread on Head-fi?

I bought Solitaire P over a 009s setup. Solitaire has better and more bass than Susvara. Then I bought P-SE, then HEKse and I kept the HEKse over the two. Do you get that? Do you ever consider that people value different things, listen to different things, hear different things, value a different balance of sound? You keep saying Rögnir is the best closed, and I have that and I prefer Stealth. Everything negative and positive I said about Rögnir is there in the Rögnir thread, didn't happen after I bought the Stealth. Do you even get what it means to have that hole in tonality and how it effects vocals? You probably don't hear anything above bass and below treble.

Gosh. Need something better than ignore, sometimes.
People can disagree and discuss. I asked for a provisional list of gear, yes.
This is to help avoid I've never heard xyz, but this is the greatest thing ever, right.

I can better understand where you are coming from considering your past experiences, list of amps, sources, and preference.

It's like I said as you plainly and in generalized fashion throw personal insults around because your feelings are hurt, we have different references of great sound.

Sep 15, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,470 of 5,994
acceleration(diaphragm) is the source of sound pressure.

Basically, acceleration depends on the frequency, every driver - whatever the type- accelerate at the same rate in the given frequency. If a driver can't accelerate properly in a frequency range, it'd appear as a cancellation in the frequency response.

Same is the speed, the speed of the driver is tied to the frequency. if it moves faster than it should while responding to a, say... 11khz signal, it'd produce a sound with a different frequency. All drivers move at the same speed in the same frequency.

driver size or the amount of excursion transducers can throw has nothing to do with the *slam*. If both drivers create equal SPL in the given area, It doesn't matter what size they have. SPL: Sound pressure level. at 120db all drivers -regardless of their sizes- do apply same amount of air pressure to your ear drums.

Diaphragms -regardless of their type- start applying sound pressure at the start their acceleration, it is not something that builds up in time. As a result, there is no reason for one driver type to sound more *dynamic* than the other too. The phenomenon of *dynamics* is a misconception based on layman's intuition in explaining the tonal differences they hear in different frequencies.

The thin diaphragm of estats only helps with high frequency reproduction. Because the driver is thin and light, the stiffness of the air surrounding the driver is enough to acoustically damp the driver, allowing it to behave well in higher frequencies.

Excessive amount of slam may happen as a result of non linearities around 60-120hz range. If you want slam, simply boost that frequency range with an EQ tool.

here is an article about dynamics & diaphragm mass & speed: https://purifi-audio.com/2019/12/10/a-fast-driver-needs-a-light-cone-or-does-it/

basically there is nothing magical going on in other headphones that makes them sound more *dynamic* than DCA Stealth. It's all about tuning.
Thank you, I enjoy learning the explanations behind these nebulous audio words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back