Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,441 of 5,994
thats a shame, :frowning2: im thinking of selling my pros because I need a closed back, other than that I love them >_<. my hifiman he6se works really well for my rock needs, has visceral punch etc... so I don't mind a change of pace I did enjoy my original Aeon's back in the day so I think I like dan clark sound sig ?!?! XD have you decided on your rognir or stealth if you're gonna keep both or just one etc..
I don't touch the Rögnir since I got the Stealth. I have no problem with EQ tweaking for a close to Rögnir sound, which also has its issues with the tuning. So I don't think I will be keeping Rögnir. I am mainly keeping it because I would like to see how it will work out with FiiO M17 coming up next month, then I will give my final decision. Stealth is my main HP right now. It has pretty much everything I could want from a closed back HP, or any HP in general. HEKse will be staying as an open back alternative. I think they are the perfect duo for comfortable, great sounding HPs.

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,442 of 5,994
Something I discovered over the course of my time with the Stealth is that there does also seem to be some difference in terms of upper midrange level depending on the back-to-front positioning
The metamaterial has many ports. Could it depend on how the ear is centered on a given hole?

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #1,443 of 5,994
The bass thing is completely taken out of proportion. It is a realistic bass. If you want it to be more aggressive with the impact, adding just 1.5 dB to bass more than does the job. I am listening to Ron Carter's Dear Miles album, and the bass is just perfectly balanced with the rest of the mix. For me increasing the bass here does not work well for the complete mix. People should just understand and appreciate that this is a much more balanced and realistic take on the bass. Accuracy is the keyword, and it is accurate. If you want more fun, it takes slight EQ'ing very well and you get what you want.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #1,444 of 5,994
It is interesting how people hear things differently. Ultrasone has been one of the most polarising brands in HP world, I guess. People hear completely different things with S-Logic. They are very much liked especially in Asia, so there is something there (also how people might hear things differently).

I was looking at the ratings from the one of the reviewers above and saw this:

1631703142093.png

I had the Jubilee ED25. Surprising, as to my ears highs of this HP was not smooth at all. It had crazy amount of detail but veeery present treble.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,446 of 5,994
It is interesting how people hear things differently. Ultrasone has been one of the most polarising brands in HP world, I guess. People hear completely different things with S-Logic. They are very much liked especially in Asia, so there is something there (also how people might hear things differently).

I was looking at the ratings from the one of the reviewers above and saw this:

1631703142093.png

I had the Jubilee ED25. Surprising, as to my ears highs of this HP was not smooth at all. It had crazy amount of detail but veeery present treble.

I own for nearly 3 years and use often the Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas which is a closed advanced version .. And I feel more uncomfortable with low frequencies which are very powerful but too muddy without EQ and missing too much high mids and low treble between 2Khz and 4 Khz which needs again some adjustments. Stage is maybe too recessed compared to my open headphones.

I expect the stealth to be perfect frequency response and use some PEQ adjustments to just help to adapt to my own taste the frequency response which won't feet other people.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,447 of 5,994
I don't touch the Rögnir since I got the Stealth. I have no problem with EQ tweaking for a close to Rögnir sound, which also has its issues with the tuning. So I don't think I will be keeping Rögnir. I am mainly keeping it because I would like to see how it will work out with FiiO M17 coming up next month, then I will give my final decision. Stealth is my main HP right now. It has pretty much everything I could want from a closed back HP, or any HP in general. HEKse will be staying as an open back alternative. I think they are the perfect duo for comfortable, great sounding HPs.
What makes you prefer the Stealth to the Rognir?

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,448 of 5,994
The bass thing is completely taken out of proportion. It is a realistic bass. If you want it to be more aggressive with the impact, adding just 1.5 dB to bass more than does the job. I am listening to Ron Carter's Dear Miles album, and the bass is just perfectly balanced with the rest of the mix. For me increasing the bass here does not work well for the complete mix. People should just understand and appreciate that this is a much more balanced and realistic take on the bass. Accuracy is the keyword, and it is accurate. If you want more fun, it takes slight EQ'ing very well and you get what you want.

I am finding the exact same thing as mine burn in, the bass just refuses to smother, muddy or color the rest of the track. The presentation of accuracy without even putting a toe over the edge in any direction that give other brand designs a signature (dark/sibilant/harsh/limp/thin/distorted) even when you really put the juice to these and listen quite loud is really impressing me by the hour.

As to listening chain, I think you will agree that RME ADI2/XI Broadway has lots of headroom left even with -13dB on RME and ~45% on Broadway so for those concerned with driving these to their max potential, I think just the RME can do it, and you don’t need anything crazy like tubes or speaker amp to get these to really shine.

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,449 of 5,994
I'm curious, could people listen to the track "Native Sense" by Chick Corea and Gary Burton and share some thoughts on how it sounds on the Stealth? It's one of my reference tracks because I've found the vibraphone very hard to sound "right".

Links:
Tidal
Qobuz
Amazon Prime Music
Apple Music

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,450 of 5,994

Worded perfectly.

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,451 of 5,994
I'm curious, could people listen to the track "Native Sense" by Chick Corea and Gary Burton and share some thoughts on how it sounds on the Stealth? It's one of my reference tracks because I've found the vibraphone very hard to sound "right".

Links:
Tidal
Qobuz
Amazon Prime Music
Apple Music

Cheers!
I would love to give you a good answer on that but kind of not sure if my liking is upto your standarts. :) Maybe you can tell me what you are looking for. I personally liked it very much and sound realistic to me, with the clicks when the mallets hit and the bells (is this right wording?) afterwards. I also asked my wife who is a musician herself, and she likes Gary Burton's music, and she was happy with it - but just was critical of the recording a bit. Hmmm...

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,452 of 5,994
What makes you prefer the Stealth to the Rognir?
I mentioned the Rögnir's tuning and weakness before. Rögnir's default tuning sounds more "fun" with well recorded metal (like Cynic / Traced in Air, or Necrophagist / Epitaph) music. But I can easily reproduce a similar tuning with a little EQ on Stealth. Actually you can also tune Rögnir similar to Stealth, too. But I like the fit and flexibility of Stealth more. Also has better isolation. On the downside, much more difficult to drive, but then there is HEKse, which covers that ground. I just don't need too many headphones. But, for now I am keeping it. Stealth will for sure stay, hopefully serve me a long while.

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,453 of 5,994
I would love to give you a good answer on that but kind of not sure if my liking is upto your standarts. :) Maybe you can tell me what you are looking for. I personally liked it very much and sound realistic to me, with the clicks when the mallets hit and the bells (is this right wording?) afterwards. I also asked my wife who is a musician herself, and she likes Gary Burton's music, and she was happy with it - but just was critical of the recording a bit. Hmmm...
So, the issue I've had with that track before is the very top-end of the vibraphone can sound _aggressively_ sibilant on some chains/hps. In particular, the second song on that album, "Love Castle", between 0:45 and 01:08 has some sections of vibes that I really like on the Raal's, but have heard as ear-piercing on other setups.

There's a subtler point around the texturing the vibraphone and keys create that I have a hard time verbalizing with precision, but it's one thing I've noticed when comparing my SR-1A's with the Aeon 2's.

The recording _is_ a bit unfortunate, I think none of Corea/Burton's duet albums have excellent recording quality unfortunately.

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,454 of 5,994
So, the issue I've had with that track before is the very top-end of the vibraphone can sound _aggressively_ sibilant on some chains/hps. In particular, the second song on that album, "Love Castle", between 0:45 and 01:08 has some sections of vibes that I really like on the Raal's, but have heard as ear-piercing on other setups.

There's a subtler point around the texturing the vibraphone and keys create that I have a hard time verbalizing with precision, but it's one thing I've noticed when comparing my SR-1A's with the Aeon 2's.

The recording _is_ a bit unfortunate, I think none of Corea/Burton's duet albums have excellent recording quality unfortunately.
I see what you mean. It is actually also due to the recording, but I wouldn't say it is sibilant or harsh with Stealth, rather overwhelming. Maybe for a second I would be awed by the texture and beauty of the sound, then "well, OK, now calm down". My current source DAC / amp T+A HA200, and it can be bright sometimes.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,455 of 5,994
I see what you mean. It is actually also due to the recording, but I wouldn't say it is sibilant or harsh with Stealth, rather overwhelming. Maybe for two seconds I would be awed by the texture and beauty of the sound, then "well, OK, now calm down". My current source DAC / amp T+A HA200, and it can be bright sometimes.
That's great to hear! I'm getting more and more tempted to get these whenever the wait times calm down a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back