Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #451 of 2,594
If anyone owns GSX Mini amp and Expanse, please post thoughts on synergy (or not) between the two? I suspect the mini will drive Expanse just fine, would like confirmation if possible. Thanks

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #452 of 2,594
If anyone owns GSX Mini amp and Expanse, please post thoughts on synergy (or not) between the two? I suspect the mini will drive Expanse just fine, would like confirmation if possible. Thanks
Power is good, pairing is not. Listened to this and the GSX Mk2 yesterday in private setup and they both are overly thin and analytical IMO to make a great team up with DCA flagships. I recommend adding some body/slightly warm of straight flat neutral presentation.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #453 of 2,594
I am not sure if I am imagining things but I have a feeling Expanse is becoming warmer and fuller sounding with time? Anyone else to comment on that? I guess people that didn't like Stealth will love Expanse.
Yes soundstage opens and bass gets a bit tighter are the main burn in changes.
I was even satisfied with out of Topping G5 which is very flat and clean portable DAC/amp.

I was listening last night. Gobs of power amd a very clean delivery for portable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #454 of 2,594
Given the customizability of the metamaterial, I wonder if there will ever be slight variations in sound signature we can get on the same headphone.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #455 of 2,594
Given the customizability of the metamaterial, I wonder if there will ever be slight variations in sound signature we can get on the same headphone.

Interchangeable AMTS would be very cool, wink wink Mr Clark.
It's like tube rolling for headphones.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #456 of 2,594
Power is good, pairing is not. Listened to this and the GSX Mk2 yesterday in private setup and they both are overly thin and analytical IMO to make a great team up with DCA flagships. I recommend adding some body/slightly warm of straight flat neutral presentation.
Well darn it. Figures. This will make it prohibitive right now to get Expanse if necessary to change out the amp as well. I wanted to get an uber powerful top-end tube amp someday but not able right now to pull that off.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #457 of 2,594
I just ordered my Expanse yesterday and was looking at upgrading my Jot 2 to a Mini, as most reviews say that it has a slightly warmer tilt already when compared to Burson, Phonitor, or even Schiit. Have you heard the Expanse on any other SS amp around the Mini price point that you thought was better? I'm not interested in going down the tube route at this point. I'm using a Bifrost 2/64 as DAC for reference. I understand personal preference will be the ultimate judge, but where I live it's a buy-and-try scenario so I would like to at least target something that makes sense.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #458 of 2,594
I just ordered my Expanse yesterday and was looking at upgrading my Jot 2 to a Mini, as most reviews say that it has a slightly warmer tilt already when compared to Burson, Phonitor, or even Schiit. Have you heard the Expanse on any other SS amp around the Mini price point that you thought was better? I'm not interested in going down the tube route at this point. I'm using a Bifrost 2/64 as DAC for reference. I understand personal preference will be the ultimate judge, but where I live it's a buy-and-try scenario so I would like to at least target something that makes sense.
I'd suggest trying it with your current setup first. I have the jot2 and bifrost2 and love it so far with the Expanse. Doesn't feel lacking warmth to me (and I say that as someone who prefers a warm sound signature)

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #459 of 2,594
I know I should probably wait a little longer but think the Utopia may be put up for sale this week. I put on an old favorite The Cure - Faith. This album is mostly bass oriented with electric guitar. Very basic compared to other stuff they did. But the bass comes thru so amazing and the Expanse captures the electric guitar perfectly. Most headphones can’t get that twangy, metallic sound right. I thought Utopia nailed it, but this is a step up. I guess I should give this album a full listen with the Utopia before making up my mind.

Yeah, just put on the Utopia and the bass is about the same but slightly looser in comparison. But the guitars don’t compete. It so weird how a headphone I’ve know for so long can change knowing how I can get more out of the recording. It still sounds great on the Utopia but just not as good.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #460 of 2,594
I may order the Expanse anyway even though I have a mini amp. Then later possibly upgrade to a Wells Audio Milo or better amp as funds permit.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #461 of 2,594
I'd suggest trying it with your current setup first. I have the jot2 and bifrost2 and love it so far with the Expanse. Doesn't feel lacking warmth to me (and I say that as someone who prefers a warm sound signature)
I have had Schiit amp and dac in the past, if Bifrost and Jotunheim sound good with Expanse then i would gamble that GSX Mini with DENAFRIPS Ares II is going to work OK at least until I can get a different amp. The amp i want is well into five figures so not feasible right now. However if the nas futures stay volatile to downside that will change LOL.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #462 of 2,594
Great to hear, thanks. At least I know it will be a usable pairing until further reviews are done and people test the Expanse with more gear to see what my upgrade path may be.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #463 of 2,594
Ok, I did one last test with my wife trying both. I had the Utopia already hooked up. She had her eyes closed and wouldn’t know the difference since doesn’t listen too much. I played The Cure - The Drowning Man. This is the song on that album that really shines on electric guitar. She listened to about halfway through and then I switched to the Expanse.

After the test she said when she first heard the Utopia she was going to say it was the better headphone. But after hearing the Expanse, she liked it better. She said that she noticed the guitars were more tinny, in a good way. Then she’s like I think I’m thinking of a different word. I said maybe twangy or metallic. But she said they were much better on the Expanse. She also said the vocals were much clearer.

So at CanJam, there were lots of great headphones I heard but once you hear the clarity of the Expanse mids, it’s hard not to notice them missing from other headphones. So the Meze Elite would probably have really peaked my interest before but I can tell it’s slightly lacking in detail in comparison. Now just having great resolution doesn’t make it a great listen but I’m enjoying the Expanse more and more. And maybe because they are opening up as the break in. Still shocked how my first impression was complete disappointment.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #464 of 2,594
Anyone here own the Expanse and the Stealth? I own the Stealth and maybe these for day listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back