Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 18, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #436 of 2,594
So, DCA Expanse isn't an open back version of Stealth, there is a clear difference in sound signature overall, and these differences is not because of the open back design. Nice.
They are different, but to my ear different mostly in the way making a closed back into an open one, so my impression is that it is actually Stealth open, but loses some of the Uber precise imaging and resolution, but as mentioned, an increase in energy from 100-250hz for mid bass impact.

I’m thinking that in the end Expanse is a better sound all around, and will be a home run for the bulk of the audiophile hobby, but Stealth is a better headphone fit my particular needs.

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #439 of 2,594
Would a powerful DAP, like a Shanling M8, be able to drive the Expanse?
Fiio M17 drives them very well, but is a powerhouse of a DAP. I tried the new A&K sp3000 and found it wanting for juice. I was able to get the volume I wanted at 120-135/150 but the presentation was not filling out Expanse or Stealths potential as compared to M17 even before plugged enhanced mode.

Nothing direct on M8 sorry

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #443 of 2,594
They are different, but to my ear different mostly in the way making a closed back into an open one, so my impression is that it is actually Stealth open, but loses some of the Uber precise imaging and resolution, but as mentioned, an increase in energy from 100-250hz for mid bass impact.

I’m thinking that in the end Expanse is a better sound all around, and will be a home run for the bulk of the audiophile hobby, but Stealth is a better headphone fit my particular needs.
I'll blind buy my next totl headphone, we don't have stores with these headphones here in my country. My particular needs about headphone is equal of yours, I like precise imaging and resolution. Does Stealth have better precise imaging, resolution, detail retrieval and pinpoint position than Expanse?

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #444 of 2,594
I'll blind buy my next totl headphone, we don't have stores with these headphones here in my country. My particular needs about headphone is equal of yours, I like precise imaging and resolution. Does Stealth have better precise imaging, resolution, detail retrieval and pinpoint position than Expanse?
Exactly all of those things. If you are a detail and musical info/resolution head then Stealth retains the crown without being overly analytical/bright/brittle.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #445 of 2,594
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #446 of 2,594
Exactly all of those things. If you are a detail and musical info/resolution head then Stealth retains the crown without being overly analytical/bright/brittle.
Other than the Stealth, what other headphones beat the Expanse in this regard? I don’t think I heard anything yesterday. Maybe the VOCE out of the Blue Hawaii. I guess I’m saying if you get the Expanse, you’re still getting better detail and resolution than most headphones. You trade a hint of that for a warmer, more involving sound.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #447 of 2,594
Other than the Stealth, what other headphones beat the Expanse in this regard? I don’t think I heard anything yesterday. Maybe the VOCE out of the Blue Hawaii. I guess I’m saying if you get the Expanse, you’re still getting better detail and resolution than most headphones. You trade a hint of that for a warmer, more involving sound.
I don’t mess with E-stats, and I generally don’t include in the running extremely well resolving/imaging when they have a crippling flaw elsewhere like shrill treble, timbre problems or monosyllabic bass impact.

Stealth is the king here, with Susvara close but not quite.

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #448 of 2,594
Some first impressions @ about 50 hrs.

For those that don't know, I am mostly electronic (breakbeat, jungle, d&b, old school hip hop, pop)

Build:
-Feel very nice.
-Very comfortable. No clamp pressure or hotspots at the top, irritations, etc.
-Build is excellent, from packaging to design.
-Materials feel super premium, cups and pad material are nice to the touch.
-Love the gimbal system. Manufacturers take note.
-Not a fan of blue and wish it was red but whatever. -99 points lol-
-Cable connectors are as cool as the gimbal system. Why these aren't standardized is beyond my minuscule brain size.
-Cable is good length, but I needed the longer one. Nice feeling. Good color but on the thicker side but adds to feel of durability.

Sound:
Without EQ: (Doing you all a favor and separating since many do not and adds to circle of confusion)
-Tuning is well done here. Slightly mid forward but bass helps even the balance.
-Bass is well done and has ample amount for stock listening.
-Very detailed.
-Soundstage is good. (I am not the best judge of this and don't index for it.)

With EQ:
-Bass can thump when needed. Vibrations from pads is pleasant. Not fatiguing, textured. Added shelf of 2.7db
-Better balance for me came from lowered 3k peak and boosted 8k as graphs indicate rise and dip there.

Preliminary thoughts: No eq, this is really good! With EQ it's better!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #449 of 2,594
Was able to catch Dan on live feed for those who have A/B’d Stealth and Expanse, and he says that a point EQ at 175hz .7Q I think between 2-3 dB increase to Stealth should give it a more Expanse-like signature in the high bass/low mids. (He says decrease but I think he was noting changing Expanse-Stealth, Correct me here if I’m wrong Dan).

This is for those who have asked in past and like myself may love the expanse sound but may not be able to have open cans.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #450 of 2,594
I love the fact that I don't have to EQ my Expanse. Means I can use WASAPI and bypass Windows entirely so it doesn't do weird re-sampling stuff to my precious bits. With my other cans I would need hardware EQ in my chain if I bypass Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back