Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,891 of 2,594
I enjoy the Expanse with the Benchmark HPA4 but feel like a change and so I am in the market for a great amp for my DCA Expanse, currently the frontrunner is the Enleum 23R which I read to be a great pairing. Annoyingly I have the VIVO XLR cable, the 23R is 6.35mm only, so if I go for that I will be trying to find a suitable cable for the Expanse in the UK. The other way to go is to buy a adaptor which will of course be cheaper, but would sit awkwardly in my mind considering the quality of the other components in the chain and so I am leaning towards a replacement cable. If anyone wants to sell (or swap) their 6.35mm VIVO cable with me please let me know.

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,892 of 2,594
but would sit awkwardly in my mind considering the quality of the other components in the chain and so I am leaning towards a replacement cable.
Well considering the huge gap in the measurements of the HPA4 and the Enleum, I think an adapter will be the least of your problems.

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,893 of 2,594
Well considering the huge gap in the measurements of the HPA4 and the Enleum, I think an adapter will be the least of your problems.
Please can you elaborate?

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #1,894 of 2,594
Please can you elaborate?
Well the Hpa4 is a very very well measuring amp, but that sounds very sterile to the point where it’s not very natural. The Enleum is apparently very pleasant but if you check Goldensound's measurements, it’s not great. Some people even preferred the Oor, but nowadays I’m sure most would go for bliss. I’ve never heard a difference from an adapter, and i can hear a lot of subtle changes with cables power conditioning etc. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,895 of 2,594
Well the Hpa4 is a very very well measuring amp, but that sounds very sterile to the point where it’s not very natural. The Enleum is apparently very pleasant but if you check goldenone’s measurements, it’s not great. Some people even prefered the Oor, but nowadays i’m sure most would go for bliss. I’ve never heard a difference from an adapter, and i can hear a lot of aubtle changes with cables power conditioning etc.Just my 2 cents
ORR + Hypsos is an outstanding pairing. Add an R2R Dac and it’s sonic bliss.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #1,900 of 2,594
Well the Hpa4 is a very very well measuring amp, but that sounds very sterile to the point where it’s not very natural. The Enleum is apparently very pleasant but if you check goldenone’s measurements, it’s not great. Some people even prefered the Oor, but nowadays i’m sure most would go for bliss. I’ve never heard a difference from an adapter, and i can hear a lot of aubtle changes with cables power conditioning etc.Just my 2 cents
Thanks, have just been looking at the Holo Audio Bliss and it looks terrific! Seems difficult to source one in the UK though but I will persevere :)

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #1,901 of 2,594
Has anyone tried the Expanse with the Feliks Audio Euforia EVO or just the base Euforia? I've been eyeing one of these units for a while so I'm looking for some opinions.
The Euforias are no good match.
The Expanse is extremely power hungry and its impedance is very low.

Both attributes the Euforias struggle with

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,902 of 2,594
Actually even Feliks stated on their web, Euforia Evo optimal "only" for 32 ohm or higher impedance Planar. Expanse is hard to drive headphone and has 23 Ohm impedance.

Personally, I like Expane with Tube, and rather wtih Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, I much prefer Cayin HA-6A as pairing.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,903 of 2,594
Actually even Feliks stated on their web, Euforia Evo optimal "only" for 32 ohm or higher impedance Planar. Expanse is hard to drive headphone and has 23 Ohm impedance.

Personally, I like Expane with Tube, and rather wtih Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, I much prefer Cayin HA-6A as pairing.
Yeah I know. I asked because I was watching the Bloom Audio YT reviewer saying he ran his Expanse on it and it sounded good, so I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had tried. I don't want to put blind faith into one YT review.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, still want to do some research and I still have the Bliss KTE coming in. The Expanse is not the only TOTL cans I have so it's not a necessity for whatever tube amp I buy to be able to run them, just a nice cherry on top.

The HA-6A is on my list, I also like the Black Ice F35 and F22.

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,904 of 2,594
I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm beginning to prefer the Expanse over my Susvara these days. I've been listening only to the Expanse over the last few weeks and put my Susvaras on today and a few minutes in I was missing the Expanse. Beyond technical ability I think it's come down to tuning. I've read many criticize the Susvara's "weird/odd" tuning and never really heard what they were talking about. Taking nothing away from the Susvara, it's still one of the best headphones I've ever heard and one that will probably never leave my collection. Based on my library and subjective preferences, I'm increasingly preferring the Expanse.
_DSC1817.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #1,905 of 2,594
I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm beginning to prefer the Expanse over my Susvara these days. I've been listening only to the Expanse over the last few weeks and put my Susvaras on today and a few minutes in I was missing the Expanse. Beyond technical ability I think it's come down to tuning. I've read many criticize the Susvara's "weird/odd" tuning and never really heard what they were talking about. Taking nothing away from the Susvara, it's still one of the best headphones I've ever heard and one that will probably never leave my collection. Based on my library and subjective preferences, I'm increasingly preferring the Expanse.
I even prefer the Stealth (and Elites) to the Susvara. Not sure if it makes sense getting an Expanse to complement them or I should just go for something more dynamic, like an Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back