Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 20, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #1,846 of 1,893
So one nailed on description of E3 I reckon is that it's the HD800s of closed backs.. Sennheiser is dismantling E3s right now
In what way the are similar and different? I don’t agree with this assessment btw.

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #1,848 of 1,893
The King's of sounstage in their category
Okay agree on soundstage but that’s only one aspect of reproduction. They are different in a lot of ways.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #1,850 of 1,893
I don't think there is anything better than the E3 when talking about sound presentation and balanced tuning when properly driven but he claimed best soundstage for a closed back could very well be challenged by the less popular AWKT.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #1,851 of 1,893
I don't think there is anything better than the E3 when talking about sound presentation and balanced tuning when properly driven but he claimed best soundstage for a closed back could very well be challenged by the less popular AWKT.
Borrow/buy one to listen for a couple of weeks. The cans initially sounded pretty great (CFA3 + Emm Labs) but once you hear the upper mid issue it will stick out like a sore thumb because everything else is done so well. It bugs me every time I hear them. If you don't hear them (upper mid perception varies among people) then you may have just found one of the best cans that belongs with the rest of the TOTL players.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #1,852 of 1,893
Borrow/buy one to listen for a couple of weeks. The cans initially sounded pretty great (CFA3 + Emm Labs) but once you hear the upper mid issue it will stick out like a sore thumb because everything else is done so well. It bugs me every time I hear them. If you don't hear them (upper mid perception varies among people) then you may have just found the best cans that belong with the rest of the TOTL players.
The upper mid was initially on my post but deleted it before posting. I just feel that it was masked and overshadowed by how much authority the lower and sub regions were presented. But yes, there's some peak in the upper mids that is even more evident when starved with power.

IMG_1235.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,853 of 1,893
Borrow/buy one to listen for a couple of weeks. The cans initially sounded pretty great (CFA3 + Emm Labs) but once you hear the upper mid issue it will stick out like a sore thumb because everything else is done so well. It bugs me every time I hear them. If you don't hear them (upper mid perception varies among people) then you may have just found one of the best cans that belongs with the rest of the TOTL players.
Would you define upper mid as 2-4khz? These are one of the few headphones on my list of candidates for end-game headphone, but a bit worried about the upper midrange and lower treble being a bit too hot on these. Would you say these accentuate sibilants and make mediocre recordings sound a bit harsh?

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,854 of 1,893
Would you define upper mid as 2-4khz? These are one of the few headphones on my list of candidates for end-game headphone, but a bit worried about the upper midrange and lower treble being a bit too hot on these. Would you say these accentuate sibilants and make mediocre recordings sound a bit harsh?
I perceived unnaturalness closer to 4khz in the case of E3 . Not sibilant or harsh. Rather, an overemphasis of clarity and a bit too focused on the initial attack - kind of annoying and a departure from an otherwise great cans. Again 3-4khz perception is not universal among all people so YMMV.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,855 of 1,893
The upper mid was initially on my post but deleted it before posting. I just feel that it was masked and overshadowed by how much authority the lower and sub regions were presented. But yes, there's some peak in the upper mids that is even more evident when starved with power.

IMG_1235.jpeg
Now you are only missing the CFA3. 👍

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #1,856 of 1,893
Can anyone suggest an AIO amp/dac to drive these with? I've got limited desk space and would like something compact. Was close to pulling the trigger on the Violectric 226, but decided to keep looking after reading about how the DAC in it may not be so great. Budget under 2k.
Would encourage you to try the V226 before dismissing it. The E3 worked very well with the V222 for me, but that, of course, was with another DAC in the mix.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #1,857 of 1,893
I perceived unnaturalness closer to 4khz in the case of E3 . Not sibilant or harsh. Rather, an overemphasis of clarity and a bit too focused on the initial attack - kind of annoying and a departure from an otherwise great cans. Again 3-4khz perception is not universal among all people so YMMV.
I noticed this most if I switch between the NUtopias and the E3. Each sounds wonky after listening to the other. I suspect that the bumpiness in the 2-4k range in the NUtopias was deliberate for this reason.

Likewise, quite a few headphones have a slower rise between 1-3k than Harman suggests, which adds a bit to the soundstage, just as dropping back a bit at 4k does, the D8000 Pros being a good example of this.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #1,858 of 1,893
I noticed this most if I switch between the NUtopias and the E3. Each sounds wonky after listening to the other. I suspect that the bumpiness in the 2-4k range in the NUtopias was deliberate for this reason.

Likewise, quite a few headphones have a slower rise between 1-3k than Harman suggests, which adds a bit to the soundstage, just as dropping back a bit at 4k does, the D8000 Pros being a good example of this.
Test request of you ever get your hands on ATH WP-900 ! ..I've requested it in youtube comments ha.. People seem to like it's sound (to a degree mostly,detractors say too V shaped) but I'm hoping it's good enough to be worth the money over the best BT Sony or Sennies.. Aactually what do you use OTG,, for nice walks, etc?

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #1,859 of 1,893
Test request of you ever get your hands on ATH WP-900 ! ..I've requested it in youtube comments ha.. People seem to like it's sound (to a degree mostly,detractors say too V shaped) but I'm hoping it's good enough to be worth the money over the best BT Sony or Sennies.. Aactually what do you use OTG,, for nice walks, etc?
ATH is not worth the money TBH. The cheap ones are good for FPS (so you can hear steps and gun shots easier etc.) but they are colored and just not worth whatever they are asking, including the current flagship.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #1,860 of 1,893
Fan of the wood but not a fan of it's tuning. It's an odd man out so to speak amongst the AT woodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back