Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #1,727 of 1,891
A question for E3 owners: when I had my Aeon Noire (which I sold), no matter what the measurements said, I had a very obvious feeling of lacking bass, which made no sense when I looked at the measurements I made with my minidsp. It should have plenty of bass, but I heard it as massively lacking bass compared to my Arya Stealth, for example. The sound was quite lean, it had many great things, but it lacked body. Does the E3 have a similar to Noire’s bass response/feeling? Thanks!
I moved from the Noire to E3 (and sold the Noire, along with a couple other headphones). There s more sub-bass and bass detail in the E3 than the Noire, which have a mid-bass hump. E3 has this a little bit, but I’ve become really addicted to a slight tweak (using Mojo2’s DSP): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dan...ents-impressions.970772/page-96#post-17992500

But in short, IMO, E3 has more real bass, sub-bass, and bass detail that Noire, which I used for 2 solid years daily before going all in on E3.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #1,728 of 1,891
I moved from the Noire to E3 (and sold the Noire, along with a couple other headphones). There s more sub-bass and bass detail in the E3 than the Noire, which have a mid-bass hump. E3 has this a little bit, but I’ve become really addicted to a slight tweak (using Mojo2’s DSP): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dan...ents-impressions.970772/page-96#post-17992500

But in short, IMO, E3 has more real bass, sub-bass, and bass detail that Noire, which I used for 2 solid years daily before going all in on E3.
Thanks, that’s great to hear! Do you happen to have tried side by side with any Hifiman?

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,729 of 1,891
The Radiance are too large to bring on trips and they look massive compared to most ANC headphones when out and about. The Bathys are much smaller than the Radiance and people still feel the Bathys looks massive on people's heads. I've brought the Radiance + mojo 2 with me a few times on trips for usage at the destination, but every time I wish they were folding like DCA headphones as they take up lots of space in my backpack and won't fit in the front pocket of my camera bag like say a PX8, XM5, Solitaire T etc.
Radiance look silly too? Well OK thanks ill take a closer look at that... As I say , The WP900 are looking a fantastic option. They a real sleeper hit, and I can add a dongle Qudelix etc for fun. Beautiful set, 50mm drivers but very compact design and the tuning is apparently great.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,730 of 1,891
Thanks, that’s great to hear! Do you happen to have tried side by side with any Hifiman?
I had a modified HE-6 for a long time. Assuming I was driving it correctly (which according to many is impossible!) I preferred the E3, and even the Noire’s. I know open vs closed, but I sold the HE-6 also after the E3, along with the Heddphone 1. I only kept the HD-650 (classics!) and the Focal Elex, since I couldn’t get much for them.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #1,731 of 1,891
Cheaper than M17 does not work really good 😉

NOMAX

Wouldn't a Fiio Q7 be cheaper and work as well? Assuming you have an old phone in a drawer to use with it or use it with a laptop it should lead to almost the same results. But of course, portability would be much worse. (Which for me wouldn‘t be a problem, as I'd use it solely indoors.)

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #1,732 of 1,891
Radiance look silly too? Well OK thanks ill take a closer look at that... As I say , The WP900 are looking a fantastic option. They a real sleeper hit, and I can add a dongle Qudelix etc for fun. Beautiful set, 50mm drivers but very compact design and the tuning is apparently great.
Have owned WP900, Celestee and heard bathys in the dealer store before. WP900 certainly look nice. But lacking carry case, and sound to my ears is too v shaped. Celestee and Radiance looks good too and sound fantastic. But they don't fold and the case is extremely large for portable use. Bathys is actually the right size for me, and bathys used the same 40mm Al, Mg driver as Celestee. But the sound is way below my expectations. I will say E3 is a huge step up from Celestee. Same tuning, but more details, seperation and engaging. It just need a lot of juice to make it sound good. Only portable dac amp will serve E3 well if you want carry around. I heard that focal will release a new headphone this year. I guess it will replace Celestee. If the new release looks as small as bathys, and sound as good as Celestee, that will be it for portable, and E3 will stay at home.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,733 of 1,891
The Radiance are too large to bring on trips and they look massive compared to most ANC headphones when out and about. The Bathys are much smaller than the Radiance and people still feel the Bathys looks massive on people's heads. I've brought the Radiance + mojo 2 with me a few times on trips for usage at the destination, but every time I wish they were folding like DCA headphones as they take up lots of space in my backpack and won't fit in the front pocket of my camera bag like say a PX8, XM5, Solitaire T etc.
Bathys's cup is only a little smaller than Radiance. They both use the same dome driver. The key difference is bathys can be fold flat, make bathys looks a lot smaller than Radiance.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #1,734 of 1,891
Have owned WP900, Celestee and heard bathys in the dealer store before. WP900 certainly look nice. But lacking carry case, and sound to my ears is too v shaped. Celestee and Radiance looks good too and sound fantastic. But they don't fold and the case is extremely large for portable use. Bathys is actually the right size for me, and bathys used the same 40mm Al, Mg driver as Celestee. But the sound is way below my expectations. I will say E3 is a huge step up from Celestee. Same tuning, but more details, seperation and engaging. It just need a lot of juice to make it sound good. Only portable dac amp will serve E3 well if you want carry around. I heard that focal will release a new headphone this year. I guess it will replace Celestee. If the new release looks as small as bathys, and sound as good as Celestee, that will be it for portable, and E3 will stay at home.
Good V shaped!?

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #1,736 of 1,891
Bathys's cup is only a little smaller than Radiance. They both use the same dome driver. The key difference is bathys can be fold flat, make bathys looks a lot smaller than Radiance.

Bathys are not small, but they are quite a bit smaller than the Radiance. I would say bathys are size L and Radiance is size XL and both are significantly larger than the solitaire T. My understanding is that the E3 would be XL sized when unfolded, but just S or M when transported. I'm OK with wearing something like the Bathys outdoors, but I wouldn't use something like an E3 or Radiance in that way.

IMG_5536.JPG
IMG_5541.JPG

I find the folding hinge design that DCA uses to be very smart engineering. The E3 is among the few candidates if I decide to get another headphone, but probably won't get another pair until second half of 2024 at the earliest. Unfortunately impossible to get a listen to DCA in Norway as the dealer doesn't stock them or have them in demo at all so I would have to buy "blind" and hope that they live up to expectations.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,737 of 1,891
DCA and Headamp will be together at Axpona this year. I can confirm both GSX mk2 and their new CFA3 are two of the best amps for E3 (CFA3 is better). I just hope they will have a dac better than Bricasti M3.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #1,738 of 1,891
Bathys are not small, but they are quite a bit smaller than the Radiance. I would say bathys are size L and Radiance is size XL and both are significantly larger than the solitaire T. My understanding is that the E3 would be XL sized when unfolded, but just S or M when transported. I'm OK with wearing something like the Bathys outdoors, but I wouldn't use something like an E3 or Radiance in that way.

I find the folding hinge design that DCA uses to be very smart engineering. The E3 is among the few candidates if I decide to get another headphone, but probably won't get another pair until second half of 2024 at the earliest. Unfortunately impossible to get a listen to DCA in Norway as the dealer doesn't stock them or have them in demo at all so I would have to buy "blind" and hope that they live up to expectations.
Yes. E3 would be XL size when unfolded. If It is easy to drive, I won't take it on the street, but definitely on a flight or train. But still if Bathys sound as good as Celestee, I will take Bathys instead.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #1,739 of 1,891

I just did. Albeit a very first test drive after only a meager 24-hour burn-in, but to put it simply: It's like my HE6se V2 on steroids, like there is more of everything. It even sounds more like an open headphone.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #1,740 of 1,891

Good to hear insight. I also had the Noire's but sold - as I only wanted to keep 1 set, and that was the Beyer T5 which had more impact and soundstage. I also had chronic issues with the pads deforming on the Noire. BUT the T5's are just not as comfortable, and I can't wear them for so long....so Dan's comfort focus has me looking at the E3's. If I could make the T5 comfortable for multi-hour use, I would be fine with them....as I'm not chasing perfection.

How would you compare the soundstage and bass impact of the E3 to the Noire? They are still planar, so not expecting the same slam as dynamic...but I listen to a lot of electronic/ambient/other music which is not oriented towards L/R stereo presentation. This means a large, wide soundstage works better with this music, also large classical/cinema orchestration.

The noire's were pretty close to perfect, so even though the E3 is a bit harder to drive, I think my JDS Element II would do fine to drive them to their full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back