Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,517 of 1,886
I have a qudelix 5k here. I’ll try it with the E3 but I’m not holding my breath. 😳
Ok the Qudelix 5K doesn’t have a 4.4 out and I don’t have a 2.5mm adapter here so I can’t try this after all. Sorry

IMG_5385.jpeg

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,520 of 1,886
Is it ok to leave these in the folded configuration in the case long-term? It seems to place a lot of tension on the tensioning system.
Totally fine, but be sure to use the pad spacers. The aluminum titanium won’t be bothered by it at all.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 16, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,522 of 1,886
Yes it’s not cheap elastic should last years. And yes… we have a lot of printers these days. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,523 of 1,886
I actually need to try it for gaming! Just haven't yet, really. It may end up that the 660S' could also go bye bye :)

The E3's can be more mid-forward but I wouldn't say there is any harshness/hardness in the mids. They're just a lot more present than the vast majority of the headphones I've had before other than the Atrium Opens & Susvaras likely. So, ya, they're present but not harsh.
Let us know how gaming goes on the E3! I am very close to buying them, and I do equal amounts of gaming and listening. I really would like these to be my everything headphones

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #1,525 of 1,886
I have the E3 and the Phonitor at home, they play nice together. 4 hours of music in, I can say I'm in love with the E3 ! Couldn't be happier :°).

Thom Yorke voice on the E3 is something else.

The latest Justice tracks (Generator, Incognito) are well presented, the intricate qualities and sometimes their flaws (these guys are detail freaks but I don't necessarily like their latest outputs). Their tracks Ohio and On'n'on from the album AVD are very impressive on the E3. Textures, at last...

Daft Punk - Doin'it Right : Good. I kinda feel like I'm losing the bass texture a bit. I remembered the 808 bassdrum purer on my monitors. (Distortion ? Tuning ?)

Sade touched my heart, as always, but it feels special on the E3. Argh. Heart breaking.

Alison Goldfrap - Never Stop, again this thing is just amazing on the E3...

Batles - Ambulance : a trip. Excellent rendition of the evolving drums.

Charlotte Adigery - Ich Mwen was also quite a trip, very emotional... The chorus almost made me tear up. The mother & daughter voices are right here with you.

My E3 at home doesn't have the weird intro kick rumble I heard in the auditorium on Max Cooper - Re-synthesis, that must have been coming from the Ferrum stack on review..?

Now that I've had more time to listen and analyze, I find that you can actually still influence the E3 sound balance by moving the pads around your ears ; front to back, top to bottom. It's less drastic than on the Stealth, but it's still there, to a manageable extent. I have small ears, so I really can move the E3 quite a lot and the effect is enhanced. Dan recommendations are the best in order to get a good balanced sound : ears touching the top and rear of the pad.

In two weeks I'm going to test some Audeze in Paris (MM500, LCD-X, LCD-5). I'll bring the E3 over to compare ! I'll report here of course :).

So far I'd qualify the E3 as both a workhorse (the pro audio side of me) and a pleasure dome (the music lover).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #1,526 of 1,886
@lowlou

As far as the mid-range and treble presentation is concerned,from an acoustic point of view,it won't get any better than with the E3 in the future,the optimum was achieved here👍👍👍

❗👍This is where DCA gets the Oscar for a very long time👍❗

Sade....☺️

IMG_0164.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.But in the low end, the bass needs to be better in quality, more compact,more tight and harder 👊
(Let's see what can be achieved here in the future👍)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #1,527 of 1,886
It will be hard to obtain both worlds at this price…
As fare as I am concerned up to now it is hard for me to listen to the E3 more than 45 minutes, after some fatigue occurs quickly as the sound for me has too much dynamics, if anyone has a tip to make it more relaxed with a DAP and or a cable, I will be delighted.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #1,528 of 1,886
@Frabera

.......just listen at a quieter level 😆

However, I need my 90db-95db...without it's no fun at all...I don't want to fall asleep🤪

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #1,529 of 1,886
@Frabera : well Imma recommend some things from the pro world... You could buy two Coil Audio CA-70 tube preamp, put them in line level mode, and play with the negative feedback and bass setting. It doesn't get any better than that. But the pair will cost you 4k. Cheers :).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #1,530 of 1,886
@Frabera : anything with tubes really and some decent amount of negative feedback (the advantage of the Coil is that you can dial in the NF to your liking, which is something pretty rare, and the best thing ever created)... Or a tape emulator (be it analog or software)... Or a high frequency limiter (Maselec being the one I'd recommend, but Empirical Labs have a de-esser capable of doing that ; also XQP optical de-esser would work nice I think ; SKNote AVE ; or the high frequency compressor from the SSL Fusion (available hardware or software) ).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back