Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,398 of 1,886
E3 remains a great closed back because it really isolates outgoing sound. I've gone though ZMF Focal Meze closed backs and they all leak sound much more. E3 is perfect for my use case. Others may vary of course.
That's helpful information to have: the number one job of a closed-back headphone, in my opinion, is to leak as little sound as possible. If it doesn't succeed there, then the rest doesn't matter.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,399 of 1,886
That's helpful information to have: the number one job of a closed-back headphone, in my opinion, is to leak as little sound as possible. If it doesn't succeed there, then the rest doesn't matter.
Yes for a $100 closed. The #1 job of a pair of $2k cans is to sound good, period.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,401 of 1,886
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #1,404 of 1,886
Perhaps LCD X? Definitely not Artium.
Audeze dropped the ball by not tuning a driver for XC that arrived at X signature in a closed-back. They just did same as 2013 or around then - slapped a cup on an X and done.
It would have given E3 and Rognir planar a run for their tunings - but as it stands no...more upper mid-forward than E3 and though subs are linear on FR - to me its shelved up in sub-bass.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #1,405 of 1,886
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #1,406 of 1,886
Hm, I don't think so. Having a rather expensive set as closed back, I do expect it to isolate at least acceptably -- otherwise it could have been made open, simplifying construction. On the other hand TH900 and D9200 isolate enough for my purpose, I don't need IEM levels or something like ANC.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #1,408 of 1,886
Hm, I don't think so. Having a rather expensive set as closed back, I do expect it to isolate at least acceptably -- otherwise it could have been made open, simplifying construction. On the other hand TH900 and D9200 isolate enough for my purpose, I don't need IEM levels or something like ANC.
Why I choose E3 over everything else I’ve had

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #1,409 of 1,886
A comparison of the E3 vs AH-D9200 vs TH900 frequency response curves would be interesting!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #1,410 of 1,886
someone tried to scam me in the classifieds, be careful out there. 1900 for a Stealth was too good from the get go anyway, but this dude went all in with an (awful) photomontage etc.​
Facepalm...​

I'm now in the process of organizing a listening session in Paris with the E3, Stealth, Expanse (via Headonist, thanks Lyssky). My contact over there recommends I also try the Heddphone 2. I know it won't have enough bass for me, but I'll try it.
I'll ask to try the AA Composer too.
Anything else I should absolutely try, for studio use ? > https://www.headonist.fr/collections/casques
He has a good bunch of TOTL things, and exotic models I've never encountered before.
The Headonist dude will have me listen all this on the SPL Phonitor 2 I want so much (crossfeed matrix) ; I feel blessed...
Cheers !
Louis

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back