Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 9, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,201 of 1,893
You have to like the focal house sound which is dense.
Dense only if you use inadequate electronics, if by dense you mean just a ball of sound with limited soundstage

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #1,202 of 1,893
hello everyone I like the e3 however i was wondering if i can increase the camping force, so that top part of the cups presses more inward as i feel when i put more pressure on the top of the cups inwards i get more bass

@mrspeakers
Email us at info@danclarkaudio.com

E3 about as hard to drive to full potential as Susvara then ?

Disappointed and surprising that something like Hugo 2 - 1W per channel - which makes my other cans shine won't cut it into the technical impressions others are getting.

This can weirdly reminds me of a stepped up T50rpMk3 from Hugo2 anyway.
Easier than Susvara but still wants a good amp.

I don't agree with those saying Hugo 2 isn't adequate, but that said the amp sounds a little leaner than some units so it may just be what you're looking for...

You expect Dan to tell you your favorite portable amp may not bring out the best in his newly released headphones? Dan will tell you his cans work well across many different kinds of amps and systems of different price points.
Please don't answer for me.

I do NOT tell people this in a generic way, we give specific answers based only on what we have heard and like, or if we've not heard based on assessment of specs.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 9, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #1,204 of 1,893
I tried the A&K ARCO CA1000 on highest gain and balanced output and, yeah, it can get loud enough and the sound is very good and all, but it’s nowhere near as good as my desktop amps.
Being loud enough doesn’t mean you’re driving them properly. Just like Susvara (although E3 is definitely easier to drive, by comparison, but the signs of not being driven properly are similar: lack of solidity, thinner sound and soundstage collapse).
The only “portable” amp I own that drives them very well is the Bakoon HPA-21 on current output. I suspect the Enleum HPA-23RM would, too.

Edit: I should mention that - unlike with Susvara - you can somewhat compensate the effects with a warmer sounding source. Warmer DAC/amps like iFi’s bring some of the meat back on the bones (and with the Xbass you can get some of the bass impact, too - albeit quite loose) but it’s still not the same as when they’re driven properly.
When I auditioned the E3 I mainly used the Fiio R9 and R7 as my source as they are the logical sources that’s close enough (power wise) to what I currently have. Anyone can say these two sources are more than enough but they are not, Acceptable to some maybe.. but when plugging the E3 on more powerful and very capable desktop amps it’s almost like a totally different phone, a really good headphone that I would buy happily.

I also did notice that the E3 sounded better on the darker sounding R7 and sounds thin on the R9. My Tago T3-03 which was very well driven by the R9 sounded way more dynamic and can even say betters the E3. Of course the E3 is folds better properly driven.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,205 of 1,893
Given all of the reports on the need for adequate power for E3 to reach its full potential, and that it still sounds great with less powerful amplification, is it fair to say that E3 scales well? I think that most can agree that portable/ transportable devices have varying capabilities in terms of delivering power, and probably most relevant with E3, current. I have been running E3 with various combinations of iFi Gryphon Bal, Mojo 2, idsd Micro BL and ifi pro iCan Signature SE and Bal. IMHO the E3 sounds okay on Gryphon, really good on Mojo 2, better on Mojo2 > idsd micro BL amp, about the same but warmer and more ifi on the idsd micro dac and amp. The Pro iCan is superb with all of the above sources, and i believe that I can clearly (subjectively) hear the differences in those sources as well. So I would say more power = more sonic pleasure and punch, but even slightly underpowered is still very good.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #1,206 of 1,893
I think perhaps the beyond excellent soundstage at home, plus the very good soundstage OTG, is where I'm at. The soundstage at home top excellence, for a closed, is overriding factor for me. I have to parse the two experiences, and think of the nights in future spent with it being the more travelled, plus the OTG along with it.. hm yes.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,207 of 1,893
Hello Dan, would it be possible to obtain an impulse response graph that compares the E3 with the Stealth ?
IR measurements are quite position-dependent, I'm not sure how much help this actually would be. I'll take a look when I have a chance and post if I can make something I feel is both accurate and comprehensible.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #1,208 of 1,893
According to his review, Hugo 2 still can't push E3 to the top. Wow! Basically all portable setups are gone. Only desktop setups will work fine. Although sound amazing, too bad for such a compact portable headphone that can't take on the go. Hope Dan will come out an easier to drive version of E3 in the future.
Assuming that what you're saying is correct about portable drivers, 90%-95% of the optimum listening experience of one of the best closed back headphones on the market today, sounds like a good deal to me. 100% of it's capability at home and slightly less so on the go, seems pretty great! (by the way, I don't own the E3 and don't plan on ever owning it). The differences between a Hugo 2 and a good desktop system are nuanced and not night and day as some suggest.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Leo

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #1,209 of 1,893
According to his review, Hugo 2 still can't push E3 to the top. Wow! Basically all portable setups are gone. Only desktop setups will work fine. Although sound amazing, too bad for such a compact portable headphone that can't take on the go. Hope Dan will come out an easier to drive version of E3 in the future.
I found his review interesting and thought provoking. Also, I was shocked that he “maxed out” Mojo2, which on modern music would be pushing over 110dB. He must be insane or deaf! I listened to the 1812 Overture track he mentioned and it’s a very demanding track with high dynamic range. On Mojo2 I usually listen to E3 on double orange (-32dB) and had to push this (for a rousing volume) to double orange (-12dB), so quite a bit more power, but not close to maxing out at white with +18dB! I like the piece but was not familiar with this recording, and in the past have struggled to find both a moving and well-recorded version. Dorati? I don’t know…open to suggestions.

I also listened at the same volume on mScaler TT2 and through a different DAC driving emotiva bas-x A100 with the “direct drive” headphone output, which is 50w. Is the TT2 better? Yes, but in generally the same way mTT2 is better than Mojo2 for most things. The Mojo2 vs emotiva was more of a trade off - detail vs warmth. And, since I’m mostly not listening to demanding music and use E3 with Mojo2 at least an hour a day. I feel comfortable disagreeing with the reviewer for 90% of the Mojo2/E3 portable use case.

I would say, check it out, but let your own listening dictate rather than letting a reviewer scare you off. And take care not to go deaf! (My ears still ringing a bit.)

Ps: @hanumanbob thanks for the suggestion. Great version - added to my Roon library.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #1,210 of 1,893
I found his review interesting and thought provoking. Also, I was shocked that he “maxed out” Mojo2, which on modern music would be pushing his ver 110dB. He must be insane or deaf! I listened to the 1812 Overture track he mentioned and it’s a very demanding track with high dynamic range. On Mojo2 I isially listen to E3 on double orange (-32dB) and had to push this (for a rousing volume) to double orange (-12dB), so quite a bit more power, but not close to maxing out at white with +18dB! I like the piece but was not familiar with this recording, and in the past have struggled to find both a moving and well-recorded version. Dorati? I don’t know…open to suggestions.

I also listened at the same volume on mScaler TT2 and through a different DAC driving emotiva bas-x A100 with the “direct drive” headphone output, which is 50w. Is the TT2 better? Yes, but in generally the same way mTT2 is better than Mojo2 for most things. The Mojo2 vs emotiva was more of a trade off - detail vs warmth. And, since I’m mostly not listening to demanding music and use E3 with Mojo2 at least an hour a day. I feel comfortable disagreeing with the reviewer for 90% of the Mojo2/E3 portable use case.

I would say, check it out, but let your own listening dictate rather than letting a reviewer scare you off. And take care not to go deaf! (My ears still ringing a bit.)
Yeah. When I listened to mojo 2 in the dealer store, not as detailed and open as hugo 2, but it was smooth and easy to listen. I can see why the dealer recommend and convince me get mojo 2 with E3 for portable setup so much. It is really a great portable combo.

Since I already have hugo 2, there is no way back. I will wait Ibasso come a new DAP to replace DX320. Hope it is more powerful to drive E3.
Don't let the review fool you. Try these headphones and mojo 2 at the dealer and play your favorite music. Your ears will decide. One review can't say everything.

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #1,211 of 1,893
I found his review interesting and thought provoking. Also, I was shocked that he “maxed out” Mojo2, which on modern music would be pushing his ver 110dB. He must be insane or deaf! I listened to the 1812 Overture track he mentioned and it’s a very demanding track with high dynamic range. On Mojo2 I isially listen to E3 on double orange (-32dB) and had to push this (for a rousing volume) to double orange (-12dB), so quite a bit more power, but not close to maxing out at white with +18dB! I like the piece but was not familiar with this recording, and in the past have struggled to find both a moving and well-recorded version. Dorati? I don’t know…open to suggestions.

Try this one

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 6.53.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 6.53.45 PM.png
    552.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,212 of 1,893
Assuming that what you're saying is correct about portable drivers, 90%-95% of the optimum listening experience of one of the best closed back headphones on the market today, sounds like a good deal to me. 100% of it's capability at home and slightly less so on the go, seems pretty great! (by the way, I don't own the E3 and don't plan on ever owning it). The differences between a Hugo 2 and a good desktop system are nuanced and not night and day as some suggest.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Leo
I think it would be difficult to reduce the jump in performances to a percentage value. It‘s more of a different listening experience.

While I am all for using E3 in whatever way anyone desires, including running them straight out of phone or laptop, just know that the experience from phone, laptop, portable is very different from listening to the same cans out of high quality electronics.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #1,213 of 1,893
Anyone saying the Hugo 2 doesn't have enough power is probably deaf. Just my $.02.

I think it would be difficult to reduce the jump in performances to a percentage value. It‘s more of a different listening experience.

While I am all for using E3 in whatever way anyone desires, including running them straight out of phone or laptop, just know that the experience from phone, laptop, portable is very different from listening to the same cans out of high quality electronics.
True enough. I always say that using the output of a laptop or phone makes sense if you want convenient, low-level background listening.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,214 of 1,893
Email us at info@danclarkaudio.com

Easier than Susvara but still wants a good amp.

I don't agree with those saying Hugo 2 isn't adequate, but that said the amp sounds a little leaner than some units so it may just be what you're looking for...

Please don't answer for me.

I do NOT tell people this in a generic way, we give specific answers based only on what we have heard and like, or if we've not heard based on assessment of specs.
In other words you are actually saying E3 works well across many different kinds of amps and systems of different price points so long as the advertised wattage spec meets the desired SPL requirement. Am I wrong?

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #1,215 of 1,893
Do you guys think a Stealth or E3 would work with a SPL Phonitor 2 headphone amp ? I'd need the crossfeed facilities of this amp...
I have used SPL Phonitor E with Stealth and It worked wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back