Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #766 of 2,030
After listened mojo 2 paired with my E3 at the dealer, I have to admit it is a good pairing for portability. E3 sound smooth and engaging. But since I have my Hugo 2, and once you heard E3 from Hugo 2, there is no way back. Not only makes E3 even more detailed, but also opens sound stage even more. Everything sound so real and coherent. You just wanna keep listening and don't wanna take it off. Yes I have to carry a brick in the bag. But who cares, your music comes alive. Yes I will still take a look for the powerful DAP from headfonics' recommendation in the future.
Will be my set-up exactly - but I wonder how Hugo2 would compare with Mojo2 + Romi modded BX2Pro with E3....
...price sphere maybe cheaper than H2 retail.

Instrument size was bigger than DX240 and modded amp8 card with Hugo2 when I tested against a decent (then) DAP.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #768 of 2,030
These two comments help me lean more towards E3. I love E3 in theory at least now because it addresses my biggest needs- open feel to sound, but isolated from the noise contamination of my surroundings, comfortable.

My only hesitation is that my ears will won't tolerate the closure, but in that case neither would the noire and would have to give up on the idea of isolation completely and I would pivot towards open back completely. Only way to find out is try them :)

Thank you both so much!
Just placed order!!!!

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #769 of 2,030
Removed what posts? I don't mind questions directed to me but I don't appreciate assumptions or accusations.

I love the E3 and it's on my list to buy. I've been very busy the last few days so if you have issues with me, take it to DM please.
Replied to by PM and all good.

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #771 of 2,030
The pads are soft, but not as soft as Aeon. It’s early days, but they seem more robust. I was a bit annoyed by the Aeon pad deformation as well, as it was mostly on one side (maybe my head?).
Yes, #padgate was a thing with my Noire's as well (large part of why I sold) though the issue has supposedly been resolved with new pad design.

The pads on the E3 look like they should be better with a wider pad at the bottom and different stitching. It will be awhile before I can attempt buying these, so I'll keep or for issues, but hopefully not as this looks like endgame for me.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #772 of 2,030
Yes, #padgate was a thing with my Noire's as well (large part of why I sold) though the issue has supposedly been resolved with new pad design.

The pads on the E3 look like they should be better with a wider pad at the bottom and different stitching. It will be awhile before I can attempt buying these, so I'll keep or for issues, but hopefully not as this looks like endgame for me.
IMG_9648.jpg
IMG_9646.jpg
IMG_9651.jpg

Pretty sure the pads are the same material as on the STEALTH Iinner side is suede and non-fenestrated on the STEALTH pads) and these will last quite a while based on my time with the STEALTH. Keep in mind also that I took one off for photos of the AMTS and that wasn't easy going on the pad material yet it looks like new back installed.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #773 of 2,030
IMG_9648.jpg IMG_9646.jpg IMG_9651.jpg

Pretty sure the pads are the same material as on the STEALTH Iinner side is suede and non-fenestrated on the STEALTH pads) and these will last quite a while based on my time with the STEALTH. Keep in mind also that I took one off for photos of the AMTS and that wasn't easy going on the pad material yet it looks like new back installed.
What are the inner dimensions in millimeters of these pads?

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #774 of 2,030
Full price buyers' remorse ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They have been doing it for some years. Ananda, HE-6 SE, Arya, HEX, HEK SE...

I am surprised that they have kept the Susvara intact from that. Expect a Susvara II for $6k while they drop the "old" Susvara to $3k since they have no planars in that range. 6 months after that, one could pick up a fresh used Susvara for under $2k - and by then they'll move the HEK Stealth to $999 new and 6 months after used will be ~$550.

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #775 of 2,030
I expect downward pressure on price to continue on HFM given the deepening deflation in China.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #776 of 2,030
I expect downward pressure on price to continue on HFM given the deepening deflation in China.
Chinese economy really has slowed down quite a bit. I have every now and then checked prices in Aliexpress and I think audiophile gear is about in European prices after taxes. Anyhow japanese economy has been deflatory for a long time, but japanese brands don't seem to have price reductions in western markets. E.g Yamaha YH-5000SE headphones cost in Japan maybe 3500 USD and in Europe. about 5700€.
Hifiman is a big actor in global audiophile market and somehow it's price drops have to radiate impulses to their rival brands pricing?!

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #777 of 2,030
Chinese economy really has slowed down quite a bit. I have every now and then checked prices in Aliexpress and I think audiophile gear is about in European prices after taxes. Anyhow japanese economy has been deflatory for a long time, but japanese brands don't seem to have price reductions in western markets. E.g Yamaha YH-5000SE headphones cost in Japan maybe 3500 USD and in Europe. about 5700€.
Hifiman is a big actor in global audiophile market and somehow it's price drops have to radiate impulses to their rival brands pricing?!
Which brand has lowered their prices because of HFM?

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #778 of 2,030
After listened mojo 2 paired with my E3 at the dealer, I have to admit it is a good pairing for portability. E3 sound smooth and engaging. But since I have my Hugo 2, and once you heard E3 from Hugo 2, there is no way back. Not only makes E3 even more detailed, but also opens sound stage even more. Everything sound so real and coherent. You just wanna keep listening and don't wanna take it off. Yes I have to carry a brick in the bag. But who cares, your music comes alive. Yes I will still take a look for the powerful DAP from headfonics' recommendation in the future.

Hey chesebert , didn't we have a thread going together ? Last I remember you were about to reccomend something..

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #779 of 2,030
Hey chesebert , didn't we have a thread going together ? Last I remember you were about to reccomend something..
Was I?🤔 If you absolute need closed, don’t care about hearing outside noise, have strong enough amp and don’t want to shell out mega bucks for some antique rare wood closed cans from 30yrs ago, if that’s you, E3 is pretty much the best choice based on sound.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #780 of 2,030
This particular question is out of at least my reach. I think of market in a wider sense, what new models are coming and what is their pricings. E.g DCA E3, maybe Meze Empyrean II, maybe Austrian Audio Composer. If all audiophile market prices were in upwards direction only, might their pricings been different. Or the newcomer models might be different. If sound quality defines audiophile headphones, you don't have to invest necessarily as much now as for a few years ago.
As long as living standards globally are rising, I'm not worried about the future of TOTL stuff. But for the large crowd of music lovers more affordable great sounding headphones are more than wellcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back