Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #586 of 2,027
Of all the headphones I've owned and listened to (from Stax to Sennheiser, Focal, ZMF, HiFiMan, Audeze, etc), this would be my choice for metal as well as all other genres. But this will of course vary per person.
Whoa! I know you've had a number of the great cans over the past 8+ years including the Stax top shelf items.

Off the top of your head, which can(s) are most similar w/ a good & large (non estat) SS amp?

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #587 of 2,027
Of all the headphones I've owned and listened to (from Stax to Sennheiser, Focal, ZMF, HiFiMan, Audeze, etc), this would be my choice for metal as well as all other genres. But this will of course vary per person.
How does E3 compare with ETA mini?

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #588 of 2,027
Dan, congrats on the success of the E3. I have to say, I was one of the skeptics about Harman/low distortion/etc being a meaningful indicator of quality and after the E3 I will no longer say that ever again. It's my favorite headphone - keep it up and hope you get tons more sales! :)

I can't think of a better metal headphone. Having gone through the entire focal / Sennheiser/ zmf lineup. It's the only one that is actually tonally correct and consistent.

Agreed that the representation of the songs are perfect. The main reason I said dynamics may be a better fit is more of the ability to feel the bass drums/impact in a more exaggerated fashion which can definitely be pleasing for a genre like metal

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #589 of 2,027
Hi folks, due to really high demand E3 shipping times are longer than forecast. We're working on adding staff to keep up…
Seriously one of the best closed back I have ever heard. I prefer E3 over my Stellia. Once you used to it, you can't stop using it. The headphone disappeared when you are listening your favorite songs. It sounds sooo good and I have to take it everywhere. I did, but I have to carry a brick in my bag. This is the only downside I have. I don't expect future generations will be extremely easy to drive, but at least make a DAP friendly headphones in the future, then it will be an absolutely perfect headphone.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #590 of 2,027
Whoa! I know you've had a number of the great cans over the past 8+ years including the Stax top shelf items.

Off the top of your head, which can(s) are most similar w/ a good & large (non estat) SS amp?

The E3 certainly sounds very different than everything else I've owned. Overall it sounds more neutral and balanced than the rest, especially in the treble. I guess the closest I've owned is the ETA Mini Closed but they're still very far apart. The HE-6 would probably sound more similar with some EQ.

How does E3 compare with ETA mini?

To my ears the E3 has a more linear treble response (the Mini Closed sounds a bit reduced in some of the upper frequencies comparatively though not all of them), more bass in general, better separation and spatial properties (sounds more open if you will). The E3's sound stage sounds more centered somehow.

The Mini Closed really reminds me of the AKG K371 when I EQ down the K371's sub-bass and bring up the ~4 KHz dip. Like this, side by side I can't pick a winner between the Mini Closed and K371.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #591 of 2,027
The E3 certainly sounds very different than everything else I've owned. Overall it sounds more neutral and balanced than the rest, especially in the treble. I guess the closest I've owned is the ETA Mini Closed but they're still very far apart. The HE-6 would probably sound more similar with some EQ.

To my ears the E3 has a more linear treble response (the Mini Closed sounds a bit reduced in some of the upper frequencies comparatively though not all of them), more bass in general, better separation and spatial properties (sounds more open if you will). The E3's sound stage sounds more centered somehow.

The Mini Closed really reminds me of the AKG K371 when I EQ down the K371's sub-bass and bring up the ~4 KHz dip. Like this, side by side I can't pick a winner between the Mini Closed and K371.
Perfect. Some good sound to look forward to.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #592 of 2,027
@SlothRock, I saw you listened to "In flames - Colony" with the E3 at "Pic of your headphones" thread. How do you like the E3 with different metal genres? I have seen in the forum that people don't find the Stealth suitable for metal and I don't know about the E3.

Thanks in advance.
I listen to lots of metal from many subgenera (hell, my music B.A. thesis was entitled "Explorations in Melodic Metal Contemporary Music") and the E3 is, to my ear, great for metal and would probably be my pick for metal among E3, Stealth, and Expanse (mostly given the E3's more dynamic presentation).

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #593 of 2,027
Been contemplating - Rall CA-1a w/ filter and HEDD 2 (not yet heard). Have to add the E3 to that list - very much like the Voce and Corinna, and respect lots of what the E2 does. Pretty sure this won't be one of the new kid on the block/cult routine - like the NDH 30 - proclaimed as the 2nd coming.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #594 of 2,027
I’m still hoping to hear a comparison between the E3 and another TOTL closed back planar, the Kennerton Rognir. Has anyone been fortunate enough to listen to both?

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #595 of 2,027
I’m still hoping to hear a comparison between the E3 and another TOTL closed back planar, the Kennerton Rognir. Has anyone been fortunate enough to listen to both?
Rognir sounded like a hot mess the last time I heard it. Hard pass.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #596 of 2,027
Rognir sounded like a hot mess the last time I heard it. Hard pass.
Don't sugar coat it! Let us know what you think! Ha!!!

Leo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #597 of 2,027
I only auditioned the Rognir for about 15 minutes at a CanJam a few years ago, so take the following with a grain of salt. It scored high with its spacious soundstaging, and the build quality and ergonomics were very good, but there was clearly some peakiness in the frequency response that made instrumental timbre quite unnatural at times. For a headphone priced north of $3k, that was an immediate deal-breaker for me. YMMV, of course.

The E3 is a far superior headphone technically, IMHO. Its soundstaging is even superior to the Rognir's (from memory), and there is nary a rough edge in the frequency response. It's also much less expensive than the Rognir. For me, it's simply not a competition; the E3 wins on all counts, unless you highly value the look of wooden cups, I suppose. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #598 of 2,027
It was at a quiet dealer location for me. It was cans on … and cans off. Timbre sounded all wrong, if I recall the mid sounded muffled and I didn’t even bother to go through a single piece of my usual test tracks. I found out about the price after I listened to it. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• JeoO
Back