Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #211 of 1,945
Ok, ordered. It has to be a significant upgrade to Aeon 2 Noire when used with Mojo2/Poly. I’ve been using A2Noire with Mojo (1 then 2) daily for over 2.5 years with no urge to upgrade this portable rig. We shall see (uh, hear)!
So you are essentially on the hook for $150-200 (restock fee and shipping costs both ways) if you don’t like them. Not terrible but to post 15 days from receipt is a bit tight IMO.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #213 of 1,945
In a system with ample power and excluding the cost differences are there SQ reasons why the E3 might be preferred compared to Stealth? I like the Steath and am open to improvement.
These are my initial impressions relative to DCA Stealth. Super early days with the E3.

Sound Signature: The sound of E3 is a familiar one and as soon as I heard it I recognized immediately that just like the Expanse, and Stealth, these are headphones probably best understood and relished for what they don't do as opposed to what they do. With a lot of headphones I've listened to with idiosyncratic tunings, you walk away mostly with an impression of the dogmatic views (pardon the harman tuning irony) the headphone has imparted onto the music. With E3 and Stealth they seek ultimately to render a faithful reproduction of the music. The E3 being a bit more candid and vivacious, very matter of fact, and the Stealth being a bit calmer, diplomatic and polished. This distinction becomes more apparent in their treatment of different frequencies.

Treble: The E3 has more illuminated high frequencies, and renders the periphery of instruments and vocals in a very articulate and intelligible way making the overall signature a tad analytical, but still striking a good balance with a sense of naturalness as well. In contrast, the Stealth’s have a more relaxed upper treble leading to a more natural presentation. While some might perceive the E3 as more detailed because of the heightened treble, I think the Stealth is the more inherently detailed or resolving of the two. This is rather evident on the HM1 and WA23 amps than when I listen via Hugo 2. This is one of the remarkable things about the Stealth, being so highly resolving yet paradoxically relaxed about it. Those who think Stealth might be a bit dark in the treble may welcome the new energy the E3 brings to this area. Whilst it's not egregiously bright like the Hifiman Audivina, it does seem like it might be fatiguing long term. Will check back on this in a week. The clarity here on E3 is superb, the Stealth is still a bit ahead here as that blackhole through which the sound effortlessly emerge is even more capable of providing a heightened sense of space between the instruments.

Midrange and Bass: In terms of midrange, the E3 seems even more neutral in tone than the Stealth to me. I think the Stealth portrays textural details more vividly, and does so with slightly better refinement. The added refinement I hear in the midrange of the Stealth I think is key because despite it being quite revealing it manages to somehow make bad recordings still relatively palatable. The E3 is less apologetic to my ears. Stealth also conveys the varying timbre of the musical instruments more acutely. The mid-bass on the E3 is slightly more impactful, adding a richness to male vocals and a sense of immediacy and tactility to the sound. The Stealth has cleaner and more emphasized sub-bass.

Overall Experience: The synergy with E3 and my tube amp, WA23 Luna, is remarkable. It's also really good on the HM1, but I use it in Class A mode. The Stealth is remarkably adept at revealing textural nuances without losing its refined character. The E3 is closely matching the Stealth, but in a more matter of fact way. The E3 is an exceptional value and very strategically positioned in the line up. This is an easy recommendation because the differences, while subtle, might even lead some to prefer it over the Stealth. My preferences still have Stealth at the top, but will report back after a week or so of primarily listening to the E3.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #216 of 1,945
Yes, but is a secret. 😊

When I have time I'll write something about it 👍

NOMAX

PS.There are no secrets with me, I write as it is and as I see it 😎

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #218 of 1,945
So you are essentially on the hook for $150-200 (restock fee and shipping costs both ways) if you don’t like them. Not terrible but to post 15 days from receipt is a bit tight IMO.
I don’t thin DCA has restocking, and shipping is free, but return shipping, yes. Or, the price of the headphones if I keep them!

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #219 of 1,945
I don’t thin DCA has restocking, and shipping is free, but return shipping, yes. Or, the price of the headphones if I keep them!
There's a 5% restocking fee if you order through DCA. I know because I just purchased an E3 direct and am hoping to have it by early next week. :relaxed: If it ends up not being a keeper, I may just list it here and pass on my 15% discount to someone else. But I think there's an excellent chance it'll replace my Noire. Stay tuned.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #220 of 1,945
This headphone is very musically compelling. I find myself just wanting to keep listening.

Leaving it to play for a few more hours and I think there is even further improvement from my initial findings. Perhaps a case of brain burning or whatever, but I am now noticing the soundstage and spaciousness that I hadn’t quite noticed earlier. Vocals are really nice and the dynamics are coming through. I have the Atrium Open to compare and the E3 actually sounds more open, clearer and detailed. It’s KO’ing the Atrium in those departments. The Atrium is still more bombastic in the bass with the E3 more comparatively controlled but still impactful.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #221 of 1,945
There's a 5% restocking fee if you order through DCA. I know because I just purchased an E3 direct and am hoping to have it by early next week. :relaxed: If it ends up not being a keeper, I may just list it here and pass on my 15% discount to someone else. But I think there's an excellent chance it'll replace my Noire. Stay tuned.
Thanks…informative and potentially a good strategy. I’m also Club DCA.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #222 of 1,945
These are my initial impressions relative to DCA Stealth. Super early days with the E3.

Overall Experience: The synergy with E3 and my tube amp, WA23 Luna, is remarkable. It's also really good on the HM1, but I use it in Class A mode. The Stealth is remarkably adept at revealing textural nuances without losing its refined character. The E3 is closely matching the Stealth, but in a more matter of fact way. The E3 is an exceptional value and very strategically positioned in the line up. This is an easy recommendation because the differences, while subtle, might even lead some to prefer it over the Stealth. My preferences still have Stealth at the top, but will report back after a week or so of primarily listening to the E3.

First time buyer/user of DCA since I the initial release of the ether c >10yrs ago. The thing I noticed right away was how comfortable this headphone is, which may be a DCA characteristics on both expanse/stealth. It has now dethroned the susvara in my books and makes the experience so much better! I actually fell asleep on my couch last night with it, which I could never do with the abyss.

I look forward to hearing more of your opinions about the E3 vs stealth. I was debating between a used stealth or the E3 initially, but settled on the E3 based on the early reviews.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #223 of 1,945
Pads are nice and stable like Stealth.

I wouldn’t suggest you’d benefit much… they are different, but not miles. Stealth is a little more resolving, also has nicer leather, the tone is similar but a bit more upper octave energy is there in E3. Stealth’s distortion is a little lower too, and the leather is nicer, plus it is nicer looking with the work we put into the metal, and Stealth is lighter, too.

Is there anything you can share about why the Stealth is a little more resolving? I hear it, too, comparing my Stealth with the E3. Is it simply a consequence of the slightly different frequency response, or is there something else the Stealth is doing differently?

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #224 of 1,945
Paid my local shop a visit today, they had just received their first delivery of E3. Long story short, I almost went out with a Stealth :wink:
As many may know I primarily listen to electronica, from EDM to Deep House / Vocal House. The E3 sure is impressive for those genres, but in the end maybe a bit over ambitious. I do like my bass, and having the feeling of the room vibrating slightly is a nice effect that reminds of hearing that kind of music over an appropriately dimensioned PA. But over the course of my listening I think its a bit too much for longer listening sessions, and the Stealth, which I used for comparison, had that more in check while still reaching fantastically deep. I did like upper mids and treble on the E3 a bit better, found it to be a bit more lively there. Both offered moderate space, realistic in dimensions.
The difference in weight was noticeable, and the Stealth does look much more unique. The E3 does look better in person than on the photos, yet a bit bland to me. It sports a bit deeper pads and a bit more clamping force, yet still very comfortable. Given the price difference the E3 looks like a steal -- which is a feat at 2k+
Used my new M17 as the sole source, and while it does like some power I used something around 70 at that "over-ear" gain level.
IMG_2517.jpegIMG_2519.jpeg

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #225 of 1,945
No, sorry. I did in fact have the Composer with me, but did not directly compare them. I used the Composer a lot today though.

From memory I’d say the Composer has more treble energy (without any sharpness though), ha much less bass though better balanced with mods and treble, letting the E3 sound a bit darker than they actually are.

Efficiency is a whole other thing… there the Composer simply is much ahead. I normally use the M17 on mod gain setting and about volume level 50. at the same gain setting the E3 used volume level 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back